[comp.ai.neural-nets] simula

ks@sbsvax.UUCP (Kurt Schreiner) (03/04/88)

we are looking for a simula system (compiler or interpreter), preferably
simula67 which runs under unix (4.3bsd preferred, but others could be hacked)
or siemens bs2000. a PD version would be most exiting, but hints to lowcost
custom versions are also welcome.

thanks in advance, kurt

UUCP:  ...!uunet!unido!sbsvax!ks    |  Kurt Schreiner                       |
       or ks@sbsvax.UUCP            |  Universitaet des Saarlandes          |
CSNET: ks%sbsvax.uucp@Germany.CSnet |  FB 10 - Informatik (Dept. of CS)     |
ARPA:  ks%sbsvax.uucp@uunet.UU.NET  |  Bau 36, Im Stadtwald 15              |
Phone: +49 681 302 2596             |  D-6600 Saarbruecken 11, West Germany |

gss@edsdrd.UUCP (Gary Schiltz) (03/07/88)

In article <464@sbsvax.UUCP>, ks@sbsvax.UUCP (Kurt Schreiner) writes:
> we are looking for a simula system (compiler or interpreter), preferably
> simula67 which runs under unix (4.3bsd preferred, but others could be hacked)
> or siemens bs2000. a PD version would be most exiting, but hints to lowcost
> custom versions are also welcome.

When I was a graduate student at Kansas State University (until 1985),
some of the other students and faculty were working on a compiler for
the Simula programming language.  It seems that the work was being done
on a Perkin Elmer minicomputer under an older version of Unix (version 7,
I think).  I have no idea what work has been done since then.

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but maybe it will
help.  I don't have anyone's net address there, but the US Mail
address and phone for the department is:

	Dept. of Computer Science
	Kansas State University
	Manhattan, KS  66506
	(913) 532-6350
--

Gary S. Schiltz  - EDS R & D  "Have bird will watch ..."
     USENET:     ... {ihnp4!mibte,cbosgd!edstb}!edsdrd!gss

ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) (03/10/88)

In article <464@sbsvax.UUCP>, ks@sbsvax.UUCP (Kurt Schreiner) writes:
> we are looking for a simula system (compiler or interpreter), preferably
> simula67 which runs under unix (4.3bsd preferred, but others could be hacked)
> or siemens bs2000. a PD version would be most exiting, but hints to lowcost
> custom versions are also welcome.

The Program Library Unit at the University of Edinburgh had a copy of the
portable Simula compiler.  This was described in the Simula Newsletter in
1983 or 1984, I think.  I know there was a version running on 4.1BSD VAX.
I haven't an e-mail address, but the address of the PLU used to be

	Program Library Unit,
	University of Edinburgh,
	18 Buccleuch Place,
	Edinburgh EH8 9LN,
	Scotland.

The phone number for the University is + 44 (UK) 31 (Edinburgh) 667 1011.
My understanding is that this is an "official" Simula.

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (03/10/88)

In article <464@sbsvax.UUCP>, ks@sbsvax.UUCP (Kurt Schreiner) writes:
> we are looking for a simula system (compiler or interpreter), preferably
> simula67 which runs under unix (4.3bsd preferred, but others could be hacked)
> or siemens bs2000. a PD version would be most exiting, but hints to lowcost
> custom versions are also welcome.

Sun's Catalyst gives this:

	Simula
	General Purpose, object-oriented, high-level
	programming language.

	SIMPROG AB
	P.O. Box 26016
	S-100 41 Stockholm