[comp.ai.neural-nets] Query on History of NN's

doug@dhw68k.cts.com (Doug Salot) (03/10/88)

I'm curious about what those who are familiar with neural-net literature
consider to be neural-net epochs.  What papers are considered seminal?
In a cursory examination of the literature, I'd have to say that the
history goes something like Turing (1936), McCulloch & Pitts (1943),
Hebb (1949), Rosenblatt (1966), Minsky & Papert (1969), and after that
it's not at all clear to me what happens.  Grossberg (late '70s)?
Wilshaw?  Sutton & Barto?  Hopfield?

Would you say Wiener and Cybernetics was a major influence?  What about
Leibniz or Shannon?

BTW, has anyone considered using Usenet as a large grained neural network
to which you throw out a question like "what is the meaning of life?" and
watch it converge on a solution?

Thanks in advance for helping me complete this partial match,
- Doug

--
Doug Salot                            | {trwrb,hplabs}!felix!dhw68k!feedme!doug
CSUF School of Computer Thought       | doug@dhw86k.cts.com

olivier@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Olivier Brousse) (03/12/88)

In article <5779@dhw68k.cts.com> doug@dhw68k.cts.com (Doug Salot) writes:
>I'm curious about what those who are familiar with neural-net literature
>consider to be neural-net epochs.  What papers are considered seminal?
>In a cursory examination of the literature, I'd have to say that the
>history goes something like Turing (1936), McCulloch & Pitts (1943),
>Hebb (1949), Rosenblatt (1966), Minsky & Papert (1969), and after that
>it's not at all clear to me what happens.  Grossberg (late '70s)?
>Wilshaw?  Sutton & Barto?  Hopfield?
>
>Doug Salot                            | {trwrb,hplabs}!felix!dhw68k!feedme!doug
>CSUF School of Computer Thought       | doug@dhw86k.cts.com
>"The cobweb behind the Orange Curtain"| If it needs a :-), it isn't funny.

Roughly speaking, I would say:

Late seventies: Kohonen, on associative memories
  "      "    : Grossberg, on Adaptive Resonance Theory
  "      "    : Barto and Sutton

Early eighties: McClelland, Rumelhart and the PDP group: Back-propagation,
                Boltzmann machines, Harmony theory, distributed representations,                cognitive process modeling.
  "      "    : Hopfield, on analogy with physical systems.

Olivier Brousse                       |
Department of Computer Science        |  olivier@boulder.colorado.EDU
U. of Colorado, Boulder               |