[comp.ai.neural-nets] Carver Mead's gender

schmoldt@dcdwest1.UUCP (Daryl Schmoldt) (04/16/88)

>In article <2071@louie.udel.EDU> berryh@udel.EDU (John Berryhill) writes:
>> DAVIS@blue.sdr.slb.com (Paul Davis) writes:
>>	Hi. Somewhere, or via someone, I have heard that Carver Mead,
>>	man of optical neural nets, has a book due out called, as I
>
>Carver Mead may be many things.  However, she is not a "man"
>of anything.
>
>John Berryhill berryh@udel.huey.edu

John,

	I am not usually one to pull the trigger on my flamethrower at
the drop of a hat, but your response to Paul's question was obivously
contrived out of ignorance.

	I would suggest that before you go correcting people that you
do a little homework yourself.  Carver Mead is indeed a man.

	I know that there have already been a few flames similar
to mine posted to the net, and yes I know that this should probably
be sent to you instead of being posted to the net, but Heh, face
it John, you deserve it!

	Now feeling a little better,

	Daryl

	e-mail: ..\ucsd\dcdwest\schmoldt

ceb@ethz.UUCP (Charles Buckley) (04/20/88)

In article <313@dcdwest1.UUCP> schmoldt@dcdwest1.UUCP (Daryl Schmoldt) writes:

   >In article <2071@louie.udel.EDU> berryh@udel.EDU (John Berryhill) writes:
   >> DAVIS@blue.sdr.slb.com (Paul Davis) writes:
   >>	Hi. Somewhere, or via someone, I have heard that Carver Mead,
   >>	man of optical neural nets, has a book due out called, as I
   >
   >Carver Mead may be many things.  However, she is not a "man"
   >of anything.
   >
   >John Berryhill berryh@udel.huey.edu

	   I would suggest that before you go correcting people that you
   do a little homework yourself.  Carver Mead is indeed a man.

Amazing what happens by association.  Carver Mead wrote a book on NMOS
VLSI design with Lynn Conway.  Lynn Conway is definitely of the
feminine gender, and also suffers from being repeatedly treated as a
he.

*Irony on*
   After all, VLSI is a man's affair, right?
*Irony off*

ceb