[comp.ai.neural-nets] Neuron Digest V4 #2

neuron@HPLABS.HP.COM (Neuron-Digest Moderator Peter Marvit) (09/14/88)

Neuron Digest	Tuesday, 13 Sep 1988
		Volume 4 : Issue 2

Today's Topics:
	Administrivia
	list of responses to neural net texts

Submissions, questions, mailing list maintenance to
        "Neuron-request@hplabs.hp.com"

[[Well, the next week should catch the Digests up to the present.  As the
academic year begins, I expect the volume to increase of Neuron Digest.  I
especially hope someone will report of the Neural Net Society meeting in
Boston last week. -PM]]

Subject: list of responses to neural net ?
From:    richman@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu
Date:    Wed, 03 Aug 88 16:57:00 +0000

First off, I would like to thank all of the people who took time to
post information on their favorite neural network books and articles in
response to the following query I posted:

   "Could someone recommend a good introductory text which deals
    with Neural Networks?"

The following (long) are the compendium of responses:

- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Mike Richman
internet: richman@uiucuxe.cso.uiuc.edu
uucp:  {puree,convex,uunet,...}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!uiucuxe!richman
bitnet: richman%uiucuxe.cso.uiuc.edu@interbit
- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
____________________

I took a class at Brown University from Prof. James Anderson.  He's
recently written a book (soon to be published) titled: "Neural
Modelling Laboratory" or something like that.  It's an excellent
introductory text and certainly not too difficult to pick up.

Of course there are the PDP (Parallel Distributed Processing Vol 1 and
2 by Rumelhart and McClealand (sp?))  books too, but they're
substantially more complicated.

David Hoffman

____________________

there are two good references on neural networks, both published by the
MIT Press. i found them both delightful reading.

1) NeuroComputing (forgot who the editor was..collection of papers) 2)
Neural Networks & Natural Intelligence (by Grossberg)

have fun....

Choong ___________________________________

____________________

Here's my two cents of worth:

"Parallel Distributed Processing", Vol 1, 2, and 3 by McClelland,
Rumelhart,
   nad the PDP Reserch Group. 1986.

and the Journal of INNS (international Neural Network Society) which is
called "Neural Netwok".  Jen-I Pi :-)

_____________________

Mike, besides the obvious choice of "Parallel Distributed Processing
Vol 1" by Rummelhart and Mc Clelland, I also recommend "Self
Organization and Associative Memory" by Kohonen.  - Mathew Yeates

_____________________

Try "Parallel distributed processing" by Rumelhart. You must already
have heard about it.

A very good but very new one is "Automata networks in computer
science-Theory and applications". It has a lot of theoretical
background on Neural nets.

Your other choice is to wait until I get mine published (!!!!.....)

Ah, I forgot. The authors for the second book are:  Francoise Folgeman
Soulie,Yves Robert, Maurice Tchuente.  It's in english don't be scared.
You can get the two volumes of the PDP and the second book from the
Library of Computing and Information Sciences very cheap. If you become
a member you get three books free and you are only obligated to by
three more. Since these are in their catalogue you can get them free.
This club is a McGraw Book club in case you haven't heard of it. It's
cheap too. Whoever signs you up gets a book free for himself too. There
is a bunch of papers if you want references.

Mike,

	You could try the Parallel Distributed Procesing books by
	Rumelhart & McLelland.  It is _the_ introductory text available
on the subject.  It's a three volume set,  with vols 1 & 2 being
introductory text and vol 3 which contains source code and explanatoins
of all of the models in vols 1 & 2.

	Vols 1 & 2 comde as a set ($25.00 for paperback about $50.00
	for hard), Vol 3 is paperback (@$27.50) (What a bargain!).
They are available from MIT Press.

				Steve Dussinger

_____________________

I reccommend _Parallel_Distributed_Processing_ by Rumelhart and
McClelland (MIT PRESS 2 volumes, best bet is to order both of them
paperback fr around $20).
  PDP explains basic neural network concepts, competitive learning,
Boltzman Machines, Back Propogation, as well as a good number of
research on NN applications.
  The magazine Daedelus recently had an entire issue devoted to Neural
Networks ... you might wish to check that out whilst waiting for the
MIT Press to send you PDP.
  -Thomas G. Edwards _____________________

____________________

An EXCELLENT introductory text:

	Parallel Distributed Processing:  Explorations in the
	Microstructure of Cognition

	edited by McClelland and Rumelhart MIT Press, 1986 and 1987 (3
	volumes) An EXCELLENT introductory text:

	Parallel Distributed Processing:  Explorations in the
	Microstructure of Cognition

	edited by McClelland and Rumelhart MIT Press, 1986 and 1987 (3
	volumes)

Parallel Distributed Processing, by McClelland,Rumelhart, et. al.,
published by the MIT Press, seems to be the book of choice for a
technical introduction to Neural Netting. It's two volumes and gets
very mathematical in places, but the first four chapters of Volume I
are a wonderful introduction to many of the major area of PDP research
going on currently.

					Enjoy, William R. Swanson
P.S. I'm starting out in Neural Nets myself. If you get any other
     good references, please pass them along!

_____________________

A good introductory paper on neural nets is in the April 87 issue of
the IEEE ASSP MAGAZINE by Richard Lippmann called An Intoduction To
Neural Nets.

This paper covers six important neural net models used in pattern
classification, and compares them with more traditional models.  If I
am correct and you are from Urbana, you should be able to get a copy in
one of your engineering libraries.  If not, have them send it from the
main library at UIC.

Hope this helps, Jeff Beer

_____________________

   Here's a few references:

  1). "A review of artificial neural systems I:  Foundations,"
      "A review of artificial neural systems II:  Paradigms,
	  applications, and implementations," both by Patrick K.
	Simpson, I've got a preprint, but it was submitted to CRC
	Critical Reviews in Artificial Intelligence, if you can't find
	it, the guy's address is:

		   General Dynamics Electronics Division P. O. Box
		   85310 San Diego, CA 92138

   2).  Parallel Distributed Processing:  Explorations in the
	  Microstructure of Cognition
	   I. Foundations II. Psychological and Biological Models David
	E. Rumelhart, James L. McClelland, eds.  MIT Press, 1986,
	especially vol. 1

   3).  try the physics literature on "spin glasses", the
	  two subjects are related

   4).  "Nonlinear neural networks. I. General theory, and
	  II. Information processing," by J. L. van Hemman, D.
	  Grensing, A. Huber, R. Kuhn, Journal of Statistical Physics,
	  Vol. 50, No. 1/2, 1988

   5).  "An introduction to computing with neural nets,"
	  IEEE ASSP Magazine, Vol. 4, April 1987, R. Lippman

      There are probably a number of textbooks and conferences
    proceedings in the works or already out.  I know of an AIP
    conference on neural networks a few years ago.  Just search for the
    title "neural net" on the computer system at a good library if you
    are near one.
      Right now the literature is pretty much scattered in computer
    science, electronics, biology, psychology, etc.  I think you get
    the picture.  Explore and enjoy.

				S. Baum

_____________________

In answer to your request on the AI-list I send you the following list
of references:

The best introductions are:

Anderson, James A., and Rosenfeld, Edward, (Eds.), Neurocomputing: A
collection of classic papers. MIT press 1987.

The IEEE Computer issue of March 1988 containing the following
articles:

	- Carpenter, G., and Grossberg, S., "The ART of Adaptive
	Pattern Recognition by a Self-Organizing Neural Network", IEEE
	Computer, March 1988.

	- Fukushima, K., "A Neural Network for Visual Pattern
	Recognition", IEEE Computer, March 1988.

	- Graf, H.P., Jackel, D.J., Hubbard, W.E., "VLSI Implementation
	fo a Neural Network Model", IEEE Computer, March 1988.

	- Widrow, B., and Winter, R., "Neural Nets for Adaptive
	Filtering and Adaptive Pattern Recognition", IEEE Computer,
	March 1988.

	- Kohonen, T., "The 'Neural' Phonetic Typewriter", IEEE
	Computer, March 1988.

T. Kohonen, Self Organization and associative memory, Springer Verlag,
New York / Berlin 1984

Rumelhart, David E., and McClelland, James L., "Parallel Distributed
Processing: Explorations in the micro structure of cognition". Vol 1:
Foundations. MIT press 1986.

McClelland, James L. and Rumelhart, David E., "Parallel Distributed
Processing: Explorations in the micro structure of cognition". Vol 2:
Psychological and Biological Models, MIT press 1986.

M.Minsky, and S.Papert, Perceptrons: an introduction to computational
geometry, MIT press 1969

Other interesting literature is:

Y.S. Abu-Mostafa and D. Pslatis, Optical Neural Computers, "Scientific
American, 256, 88-95, March 1987.

Ackley, D.H., Hinton, G.E., and Sejnovski, T.J., "A learning algorithm
for Boltzmann machines", Cognitive Science, 9, 147-169, 1985.

J.S. Denker, AIP Conference Proceedings 151, Neural Networks for
Computing, Snowbird Utah, AIP, 1986.

Eliot, Lance. B., "Neural Networks, part 1", IEEE expert, winter 1987.

Graf, H.P., and deVegvar, P., "A CMOS implementation of a neural
network model", Proc. Stanford Conf. Advanced Research in VLSI, March
1987, MIT Press.

Grossberg, Stephen, "Studies of mind and brain", Boston, Reidel press,
1982.

S. Grossberg, The adaptive brain 1: Cognition, learning, reinforcement,
and rhytm, and The adaptive brain II: vision, speech, language and
motor control, Elsevier/North Holland, Amsterdam (1986).

Hecht-Nielsen, Robert, "Counterpropagation Networks", Applied Optics,
december 1987.

Hecht-Nielsen, Robert, "Neurocomputer Applications", Proceedings IEEE
international conference on neural networks - 1987.

Hecht-Nielsen, Robert, "Nearest Matched Filter Classification of
Spatiotemporal Patterns", Applied Optics, 26, no. 10, 1892 - 1899, 15
may 1987.

Hecht-Nielsen, R., "Neurocomputing: Picking the Human Brain", IEEE
Spectrum, March 1988.

Hopfield, J.J., "Neural Networks and Physical Systems with Emergent
Collective  Computational Abilities. Proc. Natl. Acd. Sci. USA, Vol.
79, 2554-255?, april 1982.

Hopfield, J.J.,  "Neurons with Graded response have collective
properties like those of two state neurons, Proc. Natl. Acd. Sci.  USA,
Vol.  81, 3088-3092,  may 1984.

Hopfield, J.J., and Tank, D.W., "Neural computation of decisions in
optimization problems", Biological Cybernetics, 52, 141-152, july
1985.

C.A. Mead , Analog VLSI and Neural systems. court notes, computer
science dept. california institute of technology, 1986.

D.W. Tank and J.J.Hopfield, "Simple Neural Optimization Networks:  An
A/D converter, signal decision circuit and a lineair programming
circuit. IEE Trans. Circuits Systems. CAS-33, 533-541, 1986.

Rumelhart, David E. and Zipser, David, "Feature Discovery by
competitive learning", Cognitive Science, 9, 75-112, 1985.

Sejnovski, T.J., and Rosenberg, C.R., "Parallel Networks that learn to
Pronounce English Text", Complex Systems 1 (1987) 145-168.

Treleaven, P. C., "Parallel Architectures for Neurocomputers",
proceedings of the European Seminar on Neural Computing, 8-9 Febr 1988,
London.

Treleaven, P. C., "Programming Languages for Neurocomputing", in:
proceedings of the European Seminar on Neural Computing, 8-9 Febr.
1988, London.

Wasserman, Philip D., and Schwartz, Tom, "Neural Networks, Part II",
IEEE expert, spring 1988.

Succes!

Martin Kraaijveld

_____________________

Many people around here use OPS5, OPS83, and KEE.  If you need more
info, let me know.

There's also a useful book by D. Waterman, "A Guide to Expert Systems,"
which has an extensive catalog of expert systems, ES shells and tools.

Mai-Uyen Nguyen

_____________________

     I have been impressed with "Perceptrons" by Pappert and Minsky,
     from the MIT Press.  It is well written, and full of valuable
insights.  The preface and epilogue are perhaps particularly
interesting as they provide commentaries on Neural Nets as a field of
endeavor, and the place of the arguments in "Perceptrons" with respect
to that field.

     I accept the authors' argument that, contrary to popular opinion,
     this book is relevant to the *current* state of neural net
research, and it is a major *positive* contribution to the field.

     The more recent major work in this field is Parallel Distributed
Processing (commonly referred to as PDP).  I don't know the author.  I
think it's published by MIT Press.

	-Lindsey Spratt

	Be sure to get the most recent edition of Perceptrons (Pappert
	and Minsky) as it has the interesting prologue and epilogue
which make its discussions current.
	-lindsey

End of Neurons Digest