Subject: Request for Proceedings San Diego '88
From:    MEMAGEI%DHVRRZN1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Manfred Geilert)
Date:    Mon, 05 Sep 88 15:58:26 -0500

Hello Neuron-community,
is there somebody who can tell me where I can get the Proceedings of
the second international conference on neural networks in San Diego?
Thanks in advance

Manfred Geilert                  e-mail: memagei@dhvrrzn1.bitnet
Inst. of Theor. Elect.
University of Hannover (West Germany)
Appelstr. 9a
3 Hannover 1
Tel.: +511/762-3250

[[ See my answer in the next message. -PM]]

------------------------------

Subject: proc. INNS
From:    <GEURDES%HLERUL55.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Date:    Wed, 07 Sep 88 13:51:00 +0100

Dear moderator,

I am interested in the proceedings of the INNS conference (6-10 sep. '88)
What should I do ?

                                        Best regards,
                                        Han Geurdes
                                        Unit of Methodology
                                        of Social Siences
                                        (M & T)
                                        Hooigracht 15

                                        GEURDES@HLERUL55

[[As I understand it, Proceddings should be available around December of
this year, although last year they sold out very quickly and so had to make
a reprint.  The cost will be around $100, more if you are not an IEEE
member. International shipping tends to be a bit more also.  However, you
should get complete pricing and ordering information from the following
address:

	IEEE Service Center
	445 Hoes Lane
	Piscataway, NJ  08854
	Tel: (201) 981-0060

Good luck. -PM]]

------------------------------

Subject: Neural nets in economics
From:    aam9n@uvaee.ee.virginia.EDU (Ali Minai)
Date:    Wed, 07 Sep 88 19:54:47 +0000

Does anyone on the net know of instances where neural networks
(or related systems) have been used in economics modeling/prediction
or other applications of this sort?

Also, has any work been done to see what functions (mappings) are
unlearnable by, say, a multi-layer net running backprop (or any
other sort of net)? I am specifically interested in pathologies
here.

I will be extremely grateful for any references. Thanks in advance.

Ali Minai
Dept. of Electrical Engg.
Thornton Hall
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, Va 22901

aam9n@uvaee.ee.Virginia.EDU

[[ A quick scan of ICNN from last August shows "Economic Prediction Using
Neural Networks: The Case of IBM Daily Stock Returns" by H. White, plus a
paper each on "Bond Rating: A Non-Conservative Application of Neural
Networks" by S. Dutta and S. Shekhar, and "Mortgage Underwriting" by E.
Collins, et al.  I'm sure there are others; check recent
mathematically-oriented conferences in the field you're interested (e.g.,
Econometrics, etc.).  Often, neural nets are being used for
subject-specific application, but not reported in the mainstream NN
literature but in the domain-specific literature; a very relevent case in
point was the considerable number of papers in "Cognitive Science"
(although some wags may argue that it's really the mainstream). -PM]]

------------------------------

Subject: Neural networks in epidemiological studies??
From:    kilis@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Danny Kilis)
Date:    Thu, 08 Sep 88 20:04:06 +0000

Is anyone aware of any neural network applications in epidemiological
studies or similar areas?  Any reference is appreciated.
Please reply via e-mail.  I'll summarize should the need arise.

					Danny Kilis

					ARPANET: kilis@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
					CSNET:   kilis@umn-cs.CSNET
					USENET:  ....!umn-cs!kilis
					BITNET:  danny@simvax

[[ Hmm. This is an intriguing one?  Spreading activation models for disease
transmissions? I wonder if the author had anything specific in mind? -PM]]

------------------------------

Subject: Congress on Cybernetics and Systems
From:    SPNHC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Date:    Fri, 09 Sep 88 20:13:56 +0000

             WORLD ORGANIZATION OF SYSTEMS AND CYBERNETICS

         8 T H    I N T E R N A T I O N A L    C O N G R E S S

         O F    C Y B E R N E T I C S    A N D   S Y S T E M S

                            to be held
                         June 11-15, 1990
                                at
                          Hunter College
                    City University of New York
                         New York, U.S.A.

     This triennial conference is supported by many international
groups  concerned with  management, the  sciences, computers, and
technology systems.

      The 1990  Congress  is the eighth in a series, previous events
having been held in  London (1969),  Oxford (1972), Bucharest (1975),
Amsterdam (1978), Mexico City (1981), Paris (1984) and London (1987).

      The  Congress  will  provide  a forum  for the  presentation
and discussion  of current research. Several specialized  sections
will focus on computer science, artificial intelligence, cognitive
science, psychocybernetics  and sociocybernetics.  Suggestions for
other relevant topics are welcome.

      Participants who wish to organize a symposium or a section,
are requested  to submit a proposal ( sponsor, subject, potencial
participants, very short abstracts ) as soon as possible, but not
later  than  September 1989.  All submissions  and correspondence
regarding this conference should be addressd to:

                    Prof. Constantin V. Negoita
                         Congress Chairman
                   Department of Computer Science
                           Hunter College
                    City University of New York
             695 Park Avenue, New York, N.Y. 10021 U.S.A.

------------------------------

Subject: Please post...
From:    segre@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Alberto M. Segre)
Date:    Wed, 14 Sep 88 10:51:22 -0400

                                  Call for Topics:

                  Sixth International Workshop on Machine Learning

                                 Cornell University
                              Ithaca, New York; U.S.A.

                               June 29 - July 1, 1989

               The Sixth International Workshop on Machine Learning will be
          held  at  Cornell  University, from June 29 through July 1, 1989.
          The workshop will be divided into four to six disjoint  sessions,
          each  focusing on a different theme. Each session will be chaired
          by a different member of the machine learning community, and will
          consist  of  30  to  50  participants  invited  on  the  basis of
          abstracts submitted to the session chair. Plenary  sessions  will
          be held for invited talks.

               People interested in chairing one  of  the  sessions  should
          submit  a  one-page  proposal,  stating the topic of the session,
          sites  at  which  research  is  currently  done  on  this  topic,
          estimated  attendance,  format  of  the  session,  and  their own
          qualifications as session chair.  Proposals should  be  submitted
          by November 1, 1988 to the program chair:

              Alberto Segre
              Department of Computer Science
              Cornell University, Upson Hall
              Ithaca, NY 14853-7501  USA

              Telephone: (607) 255-9196

          Electronic mail should be addressed to  "ml89@cs.cornell.edu"  or
          "segre@gvax.cs.cornell.edu".    The   organizing  committee  will
          evaluate proposals on the basis of  perceived  demand  and  their
          potential  impact on the field. Topics will be announced by early
          1989, at which time a call for papers  will  be  issued.  Partial
          travel support may be available for some participants.

------------------------------

Subject: neural network solution of subgraph isomorphism problem
From:    dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny)
Date:    Wed, 14 Sep 88 17:27:19 +0000

I am looking for references on neural network solution of the subgraph
isomorphism problem. C. von der Malsburg mentions this in his paper
``Pattern Recognition by Labeled Graph Matching,'' _Neural Networks_,
vol.1, no. 2. One of his important references is in press, (i.e., Kree and
Zippelius, ``Recognition of topological features of graphs and images in
neural networks''). I would like to know if this paper has appeared yet and
where. I would also appreciate any leads on neural networks in
graph-theoretic problems.

Thank you. Please reply via e-mail, I will post a summary.

Dan Mocsny
Internet: dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU

------------------------------

Subject: temporal domain in vision
From:    dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU (daniel mocsny)
Date:    Wed, 14 Sep 88 17:34:09 +0000

In Science News, vol. 134, July 23, 1988, C. Vaughan reports on the work of
B. Richmond of NIMH and L. Optican of the National Eye Institute on their
multiplex filter model for encoding data on neural spike trains. The
article implies that real neurons multiplex lots of data onto their spike
trains, much more than the simple analog voltage in most neurocomputer
models. I have not seen Richmond and Optican's papers and the Science News
article was sufficiently watered down to be somewhat baffling. Has anyone
seen the details of this work, and might it lead to a method to
significantly increase the processing power of an artificial neural
network?

Dan Mocsny
Internet: dmocsny@uceng.UC.EDU

------------------------------

End of Neurons Digest
*********************

pastor@bigburd.PRC.Unisys.COM (Jon Pastor) (09/27/88)

I'm sure that this will be noticed by others, but there were two requests
posted for two different sets of proceedings.  The information given was
correct for the proceedings of the ICNN conference in San Diego, but one
of the requests specifically asked about the INNS conference in Boston
(6-10 September).

I spent a good deal of time talking with representatives of INNS *and*
Pergamon Press (the publishers of the journal Neural Networks, including
the special issue containing the abstracts for INNS).  There are no plans to
publish proceedings, and the reason is financial.  INNS wished to keep the
cost of the conference down, so as to make it accessible to as many researchers
and students as possible.  The INNS board decided that the inclusion of
proceedings would have increased the cost of conference registration by an
unacceptable amount (let's say, $90, based on the ICNN Proceedings costs).
While making the proceedings available at an additional charge would seem to
have been a viable alternative, the economics of publishing are such that this
was ruled out (INNS would have had to print some number of copies with no
guaranteed sales, and at a higher per-unit cost due to smaller print run).
There was talk of publishing some of the papers in one or more special issues
of Neural Networks, but nothing definite.

I would like to see proceedings.  However, unless INNS and Pergamon can be
convinced that neither of them will be left holding a lot of expensive
inventory, it is unlikely that either of them will be willing to incur the
production and editorial costs.  If there are any members of the INNS board
reading this newsgroup, I would be interested in hearing what the break-even
level for printing proceedings would be, and in finding out whether a
sufficient number of *prepaid* orders would be a sufficient incentive for
pursuing the issue.

INNS is a young organization, and not yet a wealthy one.  Attempting to place
the conference within the financial reach of people who are not on company
expense accounts is laudable (it so happens that I attended INNS on my own
funds this year...), but I am not convinced that it's worth the lack of
proceedings.

brp@sim.uucp (bruce raoul parnas) (09/27/88)

In article <7753@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> pastor@bigburd.PRC.Unisys.COM (Jon Pastor) writes:

>the special issue containing the abstracts for INNS).  There are no plans to
>publish proceedings, and the reason is financial.  INNS wished to keep the
>cost of the conference down, so as to make it accessible to as many researchers
>and students as possible.  The INNS board decided that the inclusion of
>proceedings would have increased the cost of conference registration by an
>unacceptable amount (let's say, $90, based on the ICNN Proceedings costs).

I have had some dealings with the INNS, and I find that they are very concerned
about money, to the exclusion of the interests of science.  But that's
another issue.
   The IEEE Neural and Information Processing Systems conference held last
November in Denver DID have available proceedings which could be purchased by
those who attended the conference for about $29 or so.  The cost of
registration was $50 (for students, and pretty low for others), which is
considerably less than that of the INNS conference.  They did not seem to have
a problem making proceedings available.  These were done (as you suggested) by
getting the orders FIRST, then publishing.  Still, the conference was cheaper,
probably equally good, and there were no problems with proceedings.
   I think the problem lies more with the administration at INNS than it does
in fact.

-bruce

tomh@proxftl.UUCP (Tom Holroyd) (09/27/88)

In article <8809250246.AA02504@hplpm.HPL.HP.COM> Neuron-Request <neuron-request@hplabs.hp.com> writes:
]
]From:    MEMAGEI%DHVRRZN1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Manfred Geilert)
]Date:    Mon, 05 Sep 88 15:58:26 -0500
]
]Hello Neuron-community,
]is there somebody who can tell me where I can get the Proceedings of
]the second international conference on neural networks in San Diego?
]Thanks in advance
]
]From:    <GEURDES%HLERUL55.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU]
]Date:    Wed, 07 Sep 88 13:51:00 +0100
]
]Dear moderator,
]
]I am interested in the proceedings of the INNS conference (6-10 sep. '88)
]What should I do ?
]
][[As I understand it, Proceddings should be available around December of
]this year, although last year they sold out very quickly and so had to make
]a reprint.  The cost will be around $100, more if you are not an IEEE
]member. International shipping tends to be a bit more also.  However, you
]should get complete pricing and ordering information from the following
]address:
]
]       IEEE Service Center
]       445 Hoes Lane
]       Piscataway, NJ  08854
]       Tel: (201) 981-0060
]
]Good luck. -PM]]

Well, as I understand it, the INNS (which had its first conference in Boston
Sep. 6-10) is not associated with the IEEE.  The San Diego conference WAS
held by the IEEE, so you should be able to get proceedings from the above
address.

Copies of the INNS 1st Annual meeting ABSTRACTS can be obtained from:

	Pergamon Press, Inc.
	Journal Fulfillment Dept.
	Fairview Park
	Elmsford, NY  10523 USA