[comp.ai.neural-nets] MacBrain

joe@epistemi.ed.ac.uk (Joe Levy) (10/17/88)

Has anyone out there used MacBrain 1.2, the neural net simulator
for the Macintosh? I'm especially interested in comments on its
suitability for
                (a) Teaching and demonstration purposes
                (b) Research

Have there been any reviews of this program?

Has anyone in the UK or Europe managed to get a copy?

Joe Levy

Joe Levy	   Phone: +44 31 667 1011 x6232	| University of Edinburgh
UUCP:	...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!its63b!epistemi!joe	| Centre for Cognitive Science
ARPA:	joe%epistemi.ed.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk  | 2 Buccleuch Place
JANET:	joe@uk.ac.ed.epistemi			| Edinburgh EH8 9LW Scotland

johne@astroatc.UUCP (Jonathan Eckrich) (10/21/88)

In article <779@epistemi.ed.ac.uk> joe@epistemi.ed.ac.uk (Joe Levy) writes:

>Has anyone out there used MacBrain 1.2, the neural net simulator
>for the Macintosh?

I'm interested too.  Does anyone know *through whom* MacBrain can be purchased.
Post to the net, as I'm sure there are others who would want to know.

--
(rutgers, ames)!uwvax!astroatc!johne | ihnp4!nicmad!astroatc!johne
N1000M,  1948 Stinson 108-3

daryl@arthur.uchicago.edu (Daryl McLaurine) (10/25/88)

In article <1235@astroatc.UUCP> johne@astroatc.UUCP (Jonathan Eckrich) writes:
>>Has anyone out there used MacBrain 1.2, the neural net simulator
>>for the Macintosh?

I am also interested...

   ^
<{[-]}>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
   V   Daryl McLaurine, Programmer/Analyst (Consultant)
   |   Contact:
   |       Home:   1-312-955-2803 (Voice M-F 7pm/1am)
   |       Office: Omegan Consultants (Use Home Number 9am-4pm)
   |                 -or-
   |               University of Chicago Mathematics Dept.
   |               daryl@zaphod,daisy,neuro,zem,arthur,beeblebrox.UChicago.edu
==\*/=========================================================================

  ^    Commander Sorrd T'Chath
 /|\   Security Chief
--*--  U.S.S. Nostromo(M)

hsg@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Henry Greenside) (10/26/88)

I would recommend against anyone purchasing MacBrain.
Several copies were purchased here at Duke University
for evaluation.  MacBrain had a reasonable mouse
interface for placing neurons and for linking neurons,
and had built-in rules for learning such as the
delta-rule, back-propagation, and the Boltzmann
machine. There was no language that allowed complicated
networks to be set up, so drawing and linking more than
about ten neurons was tedious and impractical. The
program is slow, making scaling studies also impractical.

The worst part of the product was that it was extremely
buggy and many advertised features had not been
implemented.  Repeated calls to the makers of MacBrain
at Neuronics led to promises that bug-free versions
would be available any day now, but they never arrived.
Neuronics also refused to refund our money.

Try another product from more trustworthy company.

	Henry Greenside