[comp.ai.neural-nets] ART source readings?

symon@lhotse.cs.unc.edu (James Symon) (10/21/88)

Could someone please email (or otherwise send) me references to the
basic papers, books, whatever about Grossberg's ART?

With great appreciation,

				Jim Symon
				Rt 4 Box 443
				Chapel Hill, NC 27516
at school:

Jim Symon
Chapel Hill, NC  27599-3175

UUCP:  uunet!mcnc!unc!symon
UUCP: decvax!mcnc!unc!symon
Internet:symon@cs.unc.edu

***Don't use "r" or my header line address***

demers@beowulf.ucsd.edu (David E Demers) (10/23/88)

In article <4786@thorin.cs.unc.edu> symon@lhotse.cs.unc.edu (James Symon) writes:
>Could someone please email (or otherwise send) me references to the
>basic papers, books, whatever about Grossberg's ART?
>
>With great appreciation,
>
>				Jim Symon
>				Rt 4 Box 443
>				Chapel Hill, NC 27516
>at school:
>
>Jim Symon
>Chapel Hill, NC  27599-3175
>
>UUCP:  uunet!mcnc!unc!symon
>UUCP: decvax!mcnc!unc!symon
>Internet:symon@cs.unc.edu

I thought I'd post my response because it may be of wide interest.

Perhaps the best place to start on ART would be a couple of papers
from ICNN-87, found in the proceedings:

Carpenter & Grossberg, ART 2: Self-Organization of stable category
recognition codes for analog input patterns.

Carpenter & Grossberg, Invariant pattern recognition and recall by
an attentive self-organizing ART architecture in a nonstationary world.

as well as some other papers from the same session.

For the beginnings, I think

Grossberg, Adaptive pattern classification and universal recoding,
II: Feedback, expectation, olfaction and illusions. in Biological
Cybernetics, 23, (1976) 187-202.

is a good paper showing the underpinnings of ART.  I think that this
paper is reprinted in the collection of seminal works put together
by James Anderson, Neurocomputing: Foundations of Research.  MIT
Press, 1988.

The bibliography at the end of the first two papers, above, will give
you some more to look at.

*Personal caveat*  I think Grossberg's work is very important, however,
it takes a long time to read his papers.  They are pithy...

Dave DeMers
UCSD Dept. of Computer Science & Engineering
La Jolla, CA 92093
(619) 534-6254

demers@cs.ucsd.edu

(James Symon) writes:
>>Could someone please email (or otherwise send) me references to the
>>basic papers, books, whatever about Grossberg's ART?
>>
>>With great appreciation,
>>
>>				Jim Symon
>>				Rt 4 Box 443
>>				Chapel Hill, NC 27516
>>at school:
>>
>>Jim Symon
>>Chapel Hill, NC  27599-3175
>>
>>UUCP:  uunet!mcnc!unc!symon
>>UUCP: decvax!mcnc!unc!symon
>>Internet:symon@cs.unc.edu

Wot Luck!  I was flipping through Kandel and Schwarz just now, and what
should fall out but a library Recall Notice for Grossberg's compendium
of papers, _Neural_Networks_and_Natural_Intelligence_,
call number QP
	    363.3
	    N44

				--Blair
				  "Don't recall me, I'll recall you,
				   if I can get my Natural Intelligence
				   to adapt and resonate simultaneously..."