[comp.ai.neural-nets] Need some intros to Neural Networks...

spector@vx2.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) (10/30/88)

Can anyone point me to some good intro texts on neural networks?
Preferable some thing with some good examples in C...

Thanks,
_DHMS
David HM Spector				   New York University
Senior Systems Programmer			   Stern School of Business
ARPAnet: SPECTOR@GBA.NYU.EDU			   Academic Computing Center
USEnet:...!{allegra,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!spector   90 Trinity Place, Rm C-4
HamRadio: N2BCA      MCIMail: DSpector             New York, New York 10006
AppleLink: D1161     CompuServe: 71260,1410        (212) 285-6080
"Capital punishment is our society's recognition of the sanctity of human life"
			- Senator Orrin Hatch

wizard@jclyde.cactus.org (John Onorato) (10/31/88)

I, too need some good introductory material for AI.  I am intrigued by
the idea of ai, and I understand neural networks are a part of ai.
However, I do not know of any good introductory books on the subject...
could someone please point me in the right direction?  As in the previous
post on this subject, I would like to see some examples in C, if this
is possible.

thanks.......

wizard

demers@beowulf.ucsd.edu (David E Demers) (10/31/88)

In article <1790001@vx2.NYU.EDU> spector@vx2.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) writes:
>Can anyone point me to some good intro texts on neural networks?
>Preferable some thing with some good examples in C...

I'm not sure that I'd call it an intro text, but you will no doubt
have many people refer you to Parallel Distributed Processing, by
Rumelhart, McClelland and the PDP Research Group, MIT Press, 1986.
Volume 3 is entitled Explorations in Parallel Distributed Processing
and comes with IBM PC software and lots of examples.  You can play
with the code as much as you like.

There are several introductory texts rumored; Addison-Wesley will
be publishing Hecht-Nielsen's book, Neurocomputing, "soon".  This
is engineering oriented, but what I've seen doesn't involve any
code for simulating nets.  It talks more about implementing neural
nets in hardware (and not just HNC hardware...).
There will no doubt be many other books soon, since this is now a
hot topic.  I hope (in vain, for certain), we don't see the glut of
garbage books like the PC industry gave us.

>David HM Spector				   New York University
>Senior Systems Programmer			   Stern School of Business
>ARPAnet: SPECTOR@GBA.NYU.EDU			   Academic Computing Center
>USEnet:...!{allegra,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!spector   90 Trinity Place, Rm C-4
>HamRadio: N2BCA      MCIMail: DSpector             New York, New York 10006
>AppleLink: D1161     CompuServe: 71260,1410        (212) 285-6080

Dave DeMers
UCSD Dept of Computer Science and Engineering
La Jolla, CA  92093
(619) 534-6254

demers@cs.ucsd.edu