[comp.ai.neural-nets] Schedule of remaining neural network talks this semester

pratt@zztop.rutgers.edu (Lorien Y. Pratt) (11/01/88)

Speaker schedule as of 10/31/88 for end of the semester talks in the
Fall, 1988 Neural Networks Colloquium Series.

Speaker		Date      Title
-------         ----      -----------------
Jack Gelfand    11/4/88   Neural networks, Intelligent Machines, and the AI wall
Mark Jones      11/11/88  Knowledge representation in connectionist networks,
			  including inheritance reasoning and default logic.
E. Tzanakou     11/18/88  ALOPEX: Another optimization method
Stefan Shrier   12/9/88   Abduction Machines for Grammar Discovery
Lorien Y. Pratt                            Computer Science Department
pratt@paul.rutgers.edu                     Rutgers University
                                           Busch Campus
(201) 932-4634                             Piscataway, NJ  08854

are@hcx.uucp (ALAN RAY ENGLAND) (11/03/88)

On 11/18/88 E. Tzanakou will give a talk titled "ALOPEX: Another
optimization method."  As a PhD student studying optimal learning in
neural networks I am intrigued by the title.  Could someone enlighten me
as to exactly what ALOPEX is.  A reference to a publication would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Alan R. England                              Electrical Engineering Dept.
are@hcx                                      University of Arkansas
                                             Fayetteville, AR 72701

tek@cmx.npac.syr.edu (Aman U. Joshi) (11/07/88)

In article <1072@cseg.uucp> are@hcx.uucp (ALAN RAY ENGLAND) writes:

>On 11/18/88 E. Tzanakou will give a talk titled "ALOPEX: Another
>optimization method."  As a PhD student studying optimal learning in
>neural networks I am intrigued by the title.  Could someone enlighten me
>as to exactly what ALOPEX is.  A reference to a publication would be
>greatly appreciated.

I am working with Prof. Erich Harth, the inventor of "ALOPEX", at
Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY.  I have used his technique
for 3-d crystal formation, for pattern recognition, and (presently) for
VLSI Standard Cell Placement.  "ALOPEX" originated as an abbreviation
of "ALgorithm fOr Pattern EXtraction", but also means 'fox' in greek.

I have had the opportunity to run this on (perhaps the world's fastest)
machine, The Connection Machine-2, by Thinking Machine Inc. The results
are fantastic.  Those interested in "ALOPEX"(an inherently parallel
stochastic optimization technique) should contact Prof. Erich Harth,
201, Physics Building,Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY -13244.
or, e-mail me at tek@cmx.npac.syr.edu.

Prof. Harth's phone number :(315) 443-2565.

Thank you,
Aman U. Joshi,
(315) 443-3573.
aujoshi@sunlab.npac.syr.edu