[comp.ai.neural-nets] Neuron Digest V4 #33

neuron-request@HPLABS.HP.COM (Neuron-Digest Moderator Peter Marvit) (12/14/88)

Neuron Digest	Tuesday, 13 Dec 1988
		Volume 4 : Issue 33

Today's Topics:
	ANNs vs Symbolic Systems - Retention of past learning?
		      Back-propogation question
	   Sources "Boltzmann Machine simulator" in Xlisp.
	Learning Image Representation by Gabor Basis Functions
	  Back-Propagation with other non-linear functions?
	       Re: Learning arbitrary transfer functio
		      Some biological questions
			  DARPA Announcement
		      DARPA Neural Network Study
	       Neural Net Small Business Solicitations

Send submissions, questions, address maintenance and requests for old issues to
"neuron-request@hplabs.hp.com" or "{any backbone,uunet}!hplabs!neuron-request"

Subject: ANNs vs Symbolic Systems - Retention of past learning?
From:    ucsd!cs.UCSD.EDU!schraudo@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Nici Schraudolph)
Date:    Fri, 02 Dec 88 17:47:56 -0800

>Subject: RE: advantages of NNs over symbolic systems
>From:    kortge@psych.Stanford.EDU (Chris Kortge)
>
>>From: bradb@ai.toronto.edu (Brad Brown)
>> [...]
>>   (2)  Neural nets  can adapt to changes in their environment.
>> [...]
>
>I'm a Connectionist, but I don't think this advantage typically holds.  The
>powerful existing learning procedures, those which can learn distributed
>representations (e.g. back-prop), actually require that the environment
>(i.e., the input distribution) remain _fixed_.  If, after learning, you
>change the environment a little bit, you can't just train on the new
>inputs; rather, you must retrain on the entire distribution.  Otherwise,
>the NN happily wipes out old knowledge in order to learn the new.
>
>[...]

There is a way to implement a kind of attention mechanism in back-prop
nets by maintaining several sets of weights with different learning
rates: weights with high learning rate but fast exponential decay
handle novel inputs whereas more inert weights without decay retain
previous knowledge.

I think Geoff Hinton in Toronto is/was doing something along these
lines though I don't know any details. References, anyone?

#  Nici Schraudolph                          nschraudolph@ucsd.edu  #
#  University of California, San Diego       ...!ucsd!nschraudolph  #
Disclaimer:  U.C. Regents and me share no common opinions whatsoever.

------------------------------

Subject: Back-propogation question
From:    reiter@endor.harvard.edu (Ehud Reiter)
Date:    Mon, 05 Dec 88 17:23:18 +0000

Is anyone aware of any empirical comparisons of back-propogation to
other algorithms for learning classifications from examples (e.g.
decision trees, exemplar learning)?  The only such article I've seen
is Stanfill&Waltz's article in Dec 86 CACM, which claims that
"memory-based reasoning" (a.k.a. exemplar learning) does better than
back-prop at learning word pronunciations.  I'd be very interested in
finding articles which look at other learning tasks, or articles which
compare back-prop to decision-tree learners.

The question I'm interested in is whether there is any evidence that
back-prop has better performance than other algorithms for learning
classifications from examples.  This is a pure engineering question -
I'm interested in what works best on a computer, not in what people
do.

Thanks.
					Ehud Reiter
					reiter@harvard	(ARPA,BITNET,UUCP)
					reiter@harvard.harvard.EDU  (new ARPA)

------------------------------

Subject: Sources "Boltzmann Machine simulator" in Xlisp.
From:    mcvax!vmucnam!occam@uunet.UU.NET
Date:    Tue, 06 Dec 88 19:49:09 +0000

  Could Please send me e-mail and tell me how to get these sources

			 Thankx....Rodrigo Laurens
				   C.N.A.M  Paris
				   FRANCE.
				   e-mail
				   occam@vmucnam.UUCP

[[Editor's Note:  I assume he's talking about Betz's public domain
Xlisp.  If there are other LISP versions around, perhaps M. Laurens
wouldn't mind porting the code. If you reply directly, please cc:
neuron-request@hplabs.hp.com! -PM ]]

------------------------------

Subject: Learning Image Representation by Gabor Basis Functions
From:    Dario Ringach <dario%TECHUNIX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Date:    Wed, 07 Dec 88 08:05:18 +0200

Following the generalization by Niranjan et al. of the nodes of the
back propagation network, if we multiply the Gaussian nodes by sines
and cosines centered at coordinates in the frequency space then we get
multidimensional Gabor basis functions.  It might be interesting to
look for image representation in the non-uniform frequency-position
space using back-prop to minimize the error of the reconstructed image
using biological based basis functions, and expect the network to find
a good tradeoff between spatial sampling and the effective bandwidth.
Has anyone tried this approach?  Any comments?

Dario

------------------------------

Subject: Back-Propagation with other non-linear functions?
From:    Ho Chung LUI <ISSLHC%NUSVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Date:    Sat, 10 Dec 88 15:18:43 +0700

It seems to me that everyone is using the sigmoidal function:

   f(y) = 1. / (1 + exp( -y + thr ))    where thr = threshold

to do back propagation. However, in theory any nonlinear function
which is bound between 0 and 1 and continuously differentiable would
do.

Has any one used any other nonlinear functions (preferrably easier to
compute) to do back-prop successfully ??

Ho Lui
Institute of Systems Science
Singapore
Acknowledge-To: <ISSLHC@NUSVM>

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Learning arbitrary transfer function
From:    Michael Bass <MBASS@uoneuro.uoregon.edu>
Date:    Sun, 11 Dec 88 10:58:00 -0800

<joe@amos.ling.ucsd.edu> writes:
>>Although my knowledge of neural nets is limited, I won't buy what is
>>written above.  Most persons can, for example, throw a baseball more
>>or less at the target in spite of gravity.  This requires a non-linear
>>calculation.  This is not done via multiplication tables.  Sure it is
>>done by "experience", but so are neural network calculations.
>
>Hmm. I'm no expert on human learning, but I don't buy what's written above.
>
>When I throw a baseball off the top of a ten-story building, I am very
>bad at hitting that at which I aimed (e.g., students). This would lead
>me to theorize that I have not learned a non-linear relationship.

Maybe you haven't learned a non-linear relationship, but the
relationship you will eventually learn will be "non-linear."  But that
doesn't mean that your brain goes through a series of multiplications
after gathering quantitative estimates gravity and wind speed.  Then
giving a command to your arm to impart x N of force in a certain
direction.  Rather, the brain is more adaptable than that.  You throw
the ball a couple of times.  Each time hitting left of the target.  So
you try throwing a little more to the right.  (error correction --
modifying synaptic connections) Pretty soon, you forget about error
correction and your network has been trained to do the task -- you're
bopping students left and right.  Then as a storm rises (in the
administration building), you learn to compensate for wind.

Non-linearily is an explanation of adaptability.  You can't say that
in the beginning of the learning paradigm, the network didn't succeed,
therefore the network didn't/couldn't learn a non-linear relationship.
After learning, the relationship can be described as non-linear.  I
don't think that the brain cares whether a relationship is linear or
non-linear.  It has adapted synapses to accomplish a task.  (While not
even being aware of its own mechanism!)

Michael Bass
biochemist & neurobiologist
Institute of Neuroscience
University of Oregon
mbass@uoneuro.uoregon.edu

------------------------------

Subject: Some biological questions
From:    csrobe@cs.wm.edu (Chip Roberson)
Date:    Sun, 11 Dec 88 19:41:49 -0500

I have some questions about the biological side of neurons and neural
networks.  What I am looking for are a few succinct answers hopefully
accompanied with references.  One caveat, I am a computer science
student so please bear that in mind when reading and/or replying.

How diverse are the neurons in a small system of neurons (or in
selected regions of the brain)?

Can somebody give me a general idea of the complexity of the chemical
reactions that occur in the cell body?  (A vague question I know, but
I'm just trying to get an idea how much is going on in there).

Approximately, how many chemicals/ions have been found in and around a
neuron?

Is it true that the basic structure of the brain is determined when
you are born?

How does the shape of the neuron affect its "computation"?

Finally, has anyone determined what role, if any, DNA might play in
the processing performed by a neuron?

If anyone is interested, this questions were raised during a reading
of the first two chapters of James S. Albus' "Brains, Behavior, and
Robotics".

Thanks,
 -c
Chip Roberson                ARPANET:  csrobe@cs.wm.edu
1328-F Mt. Vernon Ave.       BITNET:   #csrobe@wmmvs.bitnet
Williamsburg, VA 23185       UUCP:     ...!uunet!pyrdc!gmu90x!wmcs!csrobe

[[Editor's note: Some excellent questions, many without good answers.
Next week, I'll try to respond (after my Neurobiology final!) and will
accumulate any other answers you readers send in. -PM ]]

------------------------------

Subject: DARPA Announcement
From:    will@ida.org (Craig Will)
Date:    Sun, 11 Dec 88 12:05:38 -0500

                    DARPA Announces New
                   Neural Network Program

     (Based on an Office of the Secretary of Defense news release).

     The Defense Advanced Research Projects  Agency  (DARPA)
has  announced a major new program in artificial neural net-
works.  The program was described  as  having  the  goal  of
determining  the  potential  advantages of artificial neural
networks, advanced neural network theory and  of  developing
advanced hardware technology.

     The program will be ``a 28-month,  $33  million  effort
with  three components: comparative performance measurements
to identify, investigate and measure potential advantages of
artificial  neural  networks  involving  complex information
processing and autonomous control systems; theory and model-
ing  efforts  to  advance the state-of-the-art; and hardware
technology base  development  efforts  to  develop  advanced
hardware implementation technologies as the basis for future
construction  of   artificial   neural   network   computing
machines.   The  accomplishments of this initial effort will
determine the future direction of a DARPA program."

     Competitive solicitations for participation in the pro-
gram will be published in the Commerce Business Daily.

     [According to sources in the Office of the Secretary of
Defense,  the CBD announcement will be sometime in December,
probably before Christmas.  For more details on the program,
see  the  upcoming issue (volume 2, no. 3) of Neural Network
Review.]

                       Craig A. Will
               Institute for Defense Analyses
                        will@ida.org

------------------------------

Subject: DARPA Neural Network Study
From:    will@ida.org (Craig Will)
Date:    Sun, 11 Dec 88 12:08:12 -0500

               The DARPA Neural Network Study
                    AFCEA Press Version
       Summary and Analysis in Neural Network Review

     The AFCEA International  Press  version  of  the  DARPA
Neural  Network Study is expected to be released to the pub-
lic about Monday, December 12. This is the roughly 600  page
document  containing  the  individual reports of each of the
technical panels, which AFCEA Press is publishing as a hard-
bound  book.  AFCEA Press will begin shipping copies at that
time.

     The book costs $49.95 plus $5.00 for  shipping  in  the
US, $10.00 foreign.  Orders go to AFCEA International Press,
4400 Fair Lakes Court, Fairfax, VA 22033.  (703) 631-6190.

     A 25,000 word, 30-page summary and critical analysis of
the 600-page DARPA Study will be published in Neural Network
Review, a quarterly  journal  published  by  the  Washington
Neural  Network  Society.   Individual  copies  of the DARPA
issue are available for $6.00; a  one-year  subscription  to
Neural  Network Review is $24.00 for 4 issues.  Orders go to
the Washington Neural Network Society, P. O. Box  427,  Dunn
Loring, VA  22027.  Copies of the DARPA issue will be mailed
out beginning about a week after the public release  of  the
DARPA Study document (roughly December 16).

                         Craig Will
               Institute for Defense Analyses
                    Alexandria, Virginia
                        will@ida.org

------------------------------

Subject: Neural Net Small Business Solicitations
From:    will@ida.org (Craig Will)
Date:    Sun, 11 Dec 88 12:06:19 -0500

                       Small Business
                    Innovation Research
                          Program

                   Department of Defense

 (The   following  was prepared  for  publication  in Neural
Network Review.  It is being distributed via the net because
it is  time  sensitive and the next issue  of Neural Network
Review has been held up pending public  release of the DARPA
Neural Network Study.   -- Craig Will, Institute for Defense
Analyses.  will@ida.org)

     The U. S. Department of Defense has announced its  1989
solicitation  for  the  Small  Business  Innovation Research
(SBIR) Program.  This program  provides  for  research  con-
tracts  for small businesses in various program areas desig-
nated by DoD component agencies, including the  Army,  Navy,
Air Force, Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (DARPA),
and Strategic Defense Initiative Organization (SDIO).

     The program is in three Phases.   Phase  I  awards  are
essentially  feasibility  studies  of 6 months in length and
$50,000.  Phase I contractors compete for Phase II awards of
2 years in length and up to $500,000.  Phase III of the pro-
gram is for commercial application of the research.

     Proposals must be no longer than 25  pages  in  length,
including  the  cover sheet, summary, cost proposal, resumes
and any attachments.  Deadline for proposals is  January  6,
1989.

     A number of topics in the solicitation are  for  neural
network  research,  or  for topics for which neural networks
might be used.  The following are those topics most directly
related to neural networks:

     N89-003    Acoustic   Classification   with   Parallel-
Processing  Networks.   Office of Naval Research, Arlington,
Virginia.  A research project whose objective is to  develop
a  prototype  system  that  can,  in  concert  with a human,
``determine the source of a non-speech acoustic signal  from
its transient characteristics." ``The exploitation of artif-
icial  neural   network   or   neuro-computer   systems   is
encouraged."

     N89-098  Neural Net Software Applications.   Naval  Sea
Systems  Command,  Arlington,  Virginia.   An  ``Exploratory
development" project with a purpose ``to evaluate the  level
of  maturity  of currently available neural network software
and demonstrate potential applications within the Navy where
the  best  payback can be expected."  The proposer ``must be
thoroughly familiar with  both  expert  systems  and  neural
nets."

     N89-160.  Artificial Intelligence Based Target Recogni-
tion.   Naval  Surface  Weapons Center, White Oak, Maryland.
An  ``Exploratory  development"  project.    One   suggested
approach  to ``the development of a hybrid image understand-
ing system" is the use of ``one or more neural networks  for
feature extraction and recognition."

     AF89-036.  Neural Computing Architectures  for  Natural
Language  and/or Vision.  Rome Air Development Center, Grif-
fiss AFB,  NY.   The  goal  of  this  topic  is  to  develop
``natural  language  and vision interfaces for computer sys-
tems."  They suggest experimenting with different approaches
for  ``knowledge  representation  and retrieval using neural
computing  techniques."  Another  RADC  program,   AF89-053,
involves  AI  techniques  for  natural  language for message
routing, but might be done with neural  network  techniques.
RADC  had  a 1988 solicitation for automatic target recogni-
tion using neural networks.

     AF89-077.  Crew Performance  Predictions  and  Enhance-
ments.   Human Systems Division, Brooks AFB, Texas.  Of four
projects of interest, one involves applying neural  networks
to  measuring  and  analyzing  human performance in piloting
combat aircraft.

     AF89-097.  Artificial Intelligence  and  Parallel  Pro-
cessing  Technologies  for  Electronic  Combat Applications.
Aeronautical Systems Division, Wright-Patterson  AFB,  Ohio.
This project suggests ``a blend of advanced AI technologies"
including  knowledge-based  systems  and   neural   networks
together  with  multiprocessors  and  distributed processing
systems to solve ``a current electronic combat problem".

     AF89-163.  Artificial Intelligence Applied to Aeronaut-
ical   Systems.    Aeronautical  Systems  Division,  Wright-
Patterson AFB, Ohio.  This program involves applying  AI  to
``all  aspects  of  the Air Force Mission", including office
automation, logistics, and maintenance, as well as aircraft.
This  program has funded neural network projects in 1987 and
1988.

     AF89-241.   Neurocomputers,  New   Architectures,   and
Models  of  Computation.   Air  Force  Office  of Scientific
Research, Bolling  Air  Force  Base,  Washington,  DC.   The
objective  of  this program is ``to stimulate development of
new computer architectures that implement neural  network  /
connectionist  models  of computation."  They are interested
in both ``general purpose" neurocomputer architectures  that
can  implement ``as many neural network models as possible",
as well  as  ``special  purpose  machines"  designed  for  a
specific  type of neural network architecture or application
problem.  They suggest the ``integration  of  new  technolo-
gies,  such  as  optics  and  organic  polymers"  as well as
integrating neural net  machines  with  traditional  AI  and
database  computers.   This  agency has traditionally funded
relatively fundamental research  with  a  broad  interdisci-
plinary flavor.

     AF89-243.  Life Sciences  Basic  Research.   Air  Force
Office  of Scientific Research, Bolling AFB, Washington, DC.
A general broad solicitation covering five areas:   toxicol-
ogy,  neuroscience,  vision,  audition,  and cognition.  The
neuroscience area particularly suggests  integrating  neuro-
biology and AI and the relationship between ``neural archic-
tures and formal computation."

     DARPA89-004.  Investigation of  Potential  Applications
of  Neural  Network Architecture to Seismic Processing Prob-
lems.  Defense Advanced  Research  Agency,  Arlington,  Vir-
ginia.   The  goal is to investigate ``neural network archi-
tectures and  methods  to  evaluate  seismic  waveforms  for
extraction  of parameters for seismic event identification."
Their interest is distinguishing signals representing natur-
ally occurring events from those representing explosions.

     SDIO89-010.   Computer  Architecture,  Algorithms,  and
Language.   Strategic  Defense  Initiative Organization, The
Pentagon, Washington, DC.  A general solicitation  for  com-
puting  methods  capable  of ``order-of-magnitude advances".
Includes architectures that are robust  and  fault-tolerant,
including  innovative  techniques  such  as neural networks.
Also combined rule-based AI and  neural  networks  for  man-
machine interfaces and optical computing.

     For more details obtain a copy of the SBIR Program Sol-
icitation book (358 pages in length) from the Defense Techn-
ical Information Center:  Attn: DTIC/SBIR, Building 5,  Cam-
eron  Station,  Alexandria, Virginia 22304-6145.  Telephone:
Toll-free, (800) 368-5211.  For  Virginia,  Alaska,  Hawaii:
(202) 274-6902.

End of Neurons Digest