[comp.ai.neural-nets] Neuron Digest

NEURON-Request@ti-csl.csc.ti.COM (NEURON-Digest moderator Michael Gately) (02/04/88)

NEURON Digest	Thu Feb  4 09:12:28 CST 1988   Volume 3 / Issue 4
Today's Topics:
 Biological Neural Networks?
 revised and final call for applications
 NEURAL NET TALK ON KANERVA'S SDM
 Conference - Neural Controls Session at ACC

Date:         Wed, 03 Feb 88 12:46:07 EST
From: wall <WALL%SBCCVM.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: Biological neural networks?

does anyone know of any work being done in the use of more biologically
motivated models of neural nets?  lets face it, this PDP stuff is getting
pretty far afield of real neurons, and i just wondered wether recent research
in neurology is being put to use in AI systems.  any help on this would be
greatly appreciated.
                                10Q in advance
                                              wallace marshall
                                              WALL@SBCCVM.BITNET
------------------------------

Date: Thu 4 Feb 88 00:29:33-EST
From: Dave.Touretzky@c.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: revised and final call for applications

                  THE 1988 CONNECTIONIST MODELS SUMMER SCHOOL

ORGANIZER:              David Touretzky

ADVISORY COMMITTEE:     Geoffrey Hinton, Terrence Sejnowski

SPONSORS:  The Sloan Foundation; AAAI; AFOSR; in cooperation with ACM SIGART.

DATES:  June 17-26, 1988

PLACE:  Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

PROGRAM:  The  summer  school  program  is  designed  to introduce young neural
networks researchers to the latest developments in the field.   There  will  be
sessions  on  learning,  theoretical analysis, connectionist symbol processing,
speech recognition, language understanding, brain structure,  and  neuromorphic
computer  architectures.    Students  will  have  the opportunity to informally
present their own research and to interact closely with some of the leaders  of
the field.

 LIST OF FACULTY:

   Yaser Abu-Mostafa (Caltech)      Yann Le Cun (Toronto)
   Dana Ballard (Rochester)         James McClelland (Carnegie Mellon)
   Andrew Barto (U. Mass.)          David Rumelhart (Stanford)
   Gail Carpenter (Boston U.)       Terrence Sejnowski (Johns Hopkins)
   Scott Fahlman (Carnegie Mellon)  Mass Sivilotti (Cal Tech)
   Geoffrey Hinton (Toronto)        Paul Smolensky (UC Boulder)
   Michael Jordan (MIT)             David Tank (AT&T Bell Labs)
   Scott Kirkpatrick (IBM)          David Touretzky (Carnegie Mellon)
   George Lakoff (Berkeley)         Alex Waibel (ATR International)

EXPENSES: Students are responsible for their meals and travel expenses; a small
amount of travel funds  may  be  available.    Free  dormitory  space  will  be
provided.  There is no tuition charge.

WHO  SHOULD  APPLY: The summer school's goal is to assist young researchers who
have chosen to work in the  area  of  neural  computation.    Participation  is
limited  to  graduate  students  (masters  or  doctoral level) who are actively
involved in some aspect of neural network research.  Persons who  have  already
completed  the  Ph.D.  are  not  eligible.    Applicants  who are not full time
students will still be  considered,  provided  that  they  are  enrolled  in  a
doctoral degree program.  A total of 50 students will be accepted.

HOW  TO  APPLY:  By March 1, 1988, send your curriculum vitae and a copy of one
relevant paper, technical report, or research proposal to: Dr. David Touretzky,
Computer Science Department, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, 15213.
Applicants will be notified of acceptance by April 15, 1988.

------------------------------

Date: Tue 2 Feb 88 09:07:48-PST
From: Jim Keeler <jdk@riacs.edu>
Subject: NEURAL NET TALK ON KANERVA'S SDM

*********************** OPEN TECHNICAL MEETING ***********************
        IEEE Computer Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
              Tuesday  Febuary 9, 1988    8:00 p.m.
           Hewlett-Packard Cupertino (Wolfe & Homestead)
                      Building 48, Oak Room

"CAPACITY FOR PATTERNS AND SEQUENCES IN KANERVA'S SDM AS COMPARED TO
                 OTHER ASSOCIATIVE MEMORY MODELS"

ABSTRACT: Dr. James Keeler of Stanford University will be speaking on the
          information capacity of Kanerva's Sparse, Distributed Memory
          (SDM) and Hopfield-type neural networks will be discussed.  Using
          certain approximations, it is shown that the total information
          stored in these systems  is proportional to the number connections
          in the network. The proportionality constant is the same for the
          SDM and Hopfield-type models independent of the particular model,
          or the order of the model.  This same analysis can be used to show
          that the SDM can store sequences of spatiotemporal patterns, and
          the addition of time-delayed connections allows the retrieval of
          context dependent temporal patterns with varying time delays.

Dr. Keeler Received his Ph.D in Physics from U. C. San Diego, March 1987.
His dissertation was on reaction-diffusion systems and neural network models.
He is now a Postdoctoral student at Stanford University's Department of
Chemistry working on neural network models, as well as consulting for Penti
Kanerva's (RIACS, NASA Ames Research Center) SDM research group.

For additional information contact Coe Miles-Schlichting:
     coe@pluto.arc.nasa.gov or (408) 279-4773

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Jan 88 07:27 PST
From: nesliwa%nasamail@ames.arc.nasa.gov (NANCY E. SLIWA)
Subject: Conference - Neural Controls Session at ACC

neural applications to robotics, about which I recently solicited names,
I am posting the current status of the session, along with minimal
conference information. Registration information can probably be obtained
from the general chair.

1988 American Controls Conference
June 15-17, 1988
The Atlanta Hilton and Towers
Atlanta, Georgia

General Chair:  Wayne Book
                The George W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering
                Georgia Institute of Technology
                Atlanta, Georgia 30332
                (404) 894-3247

                Invited Session on Neural Networks in Control
                    (A 4-hour session, 8 regular papers)

Chairs: Moshe Kam, Drexel University
        Don Soloway, NASA Langley Research Center

"How Neural Networks Factor Problems of Sensory Motor Control"
        Danial Bullock, Boston University

"Neural and Adaptive Control: Similarities and Differences"
        A. Sideris, D. Psaltis, A. Yamakura, California Inst. of Technology

"On State Space Analysis for Neural Networks"
        Moshe Kam, Roger Cheng, Allon Guez, Drexel University

"Adaptive Neural Model for Hand-Eye Coordination"
        M. Kuperstein, Wellesley College

"A Neural Network for Planning Preshape Postures of the Human Hand"
        Thea Ibarall, University of Southern California

"Strategy Learning with Multilayer Connectionist Representations"
        Charles Anderson, GTE Labs Inc.

"Neural-Networks-Based Learning Systems for Material Handling
Using Multiple Robots"
        D-Y Yeung, George Bekey, University of Southern California

"Using Neural Networks to Characterize Complex Systems"
        Philip Daley, A. Thornbrugh, Martin-Marietta Astronautics Group

Nancy Sliwa
NASA Langley Research Center
804/865-3871

nesliwa%nasamail@ames.arpa

------------------------------

End of NEURON-Digest
********************

NEURON-Request@ti-csl.csc.ti.COM (NEURON-Digest moderator Michael Gately) (06/13/88)

NEURON Digest	Mon Jun 13 09:33:12 CDT 1988
 Volume 3 / Issue 11
Today's Topics:

 Moderation of the NEURON Digest

Date: 13 JUNE 1988, 9:30am
From: gately%ti.csl.com@cs.net.relay
Subject: Moderation of the NEURON Digest

To all NEURON subscribers:

As you may have noticed, my moderation of the NEURON digest
has been quite negligent.  My activities at both work and
home have increased dramatically in the past few months.
In the interest of keeping this Digest alive and well, I
think that it is best if someone with a little more time
(and perhaps more UNIX and ARPANET experience) take over the
moderator position.

The network was originally set up in October of 1986 and
currently has a distribution of about 1000 addresses.  Of
course many addresses are re-distribution sites, so I can
only take a guess at the actual membership (Ken Laws tried to
do this with the AIList Digest and did not do too well).

The method I have been using is to simply copy the incoming
mail into one of seven files; NEWS, QUERIES, REPLIES, CALL for
papers, CONFerences, BIBLIOgraphical stuff, and RANDOM.  I
then use a simple UNIX script to join the files, remove the
extraneous header information, and add new header information.

For me this all took place over a 2400 baud connection to a
remote UNIX machine.  Next I would go into the file and
doctor it up; fixing all the little things like messages
without Subject fields or removing random form feeds from
messages.  Finally, I use another script to send the message
out to the network.

I am sure that more talented UNIX programers can put together
better scripts.  I am also sure that somewhere on this planet
is a UNIX computer that has a faster response time than the one
I use.

The only hard problem to overcome in changing moderators will
be to convert some ofthe addresses from my CSNET format to
your (hopefully) INTERNet format; but this should be vy
straightforward.

Any takers?  Send a message to me at:
gatelyu%resbld.csl.ti.com@relay.cs.net

Regards,
Michael Gately

p.s.  I will try to send out another NEURON Digest (with
some real information in it) later this week.

End of NEURON-Digest

jochenru@cosmo.UUCP (Jochen Ruhland) (01/01/89)

Hallo,

ich habe immer mit Interesse den Neuron Digest verfolgt. Wo bleiben
die Folgen ab Anfang Oktober?

	Jochen