[comp.ai.neural-nets] Assignment problem and Neural Nets

sdo@linus.UUCP (Sean D. O'Neil) (02/14/89)

In article <525@pan> jal@cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) writes:
>I am trying to solve the Assignment problem (maximum matching on
>minimal weight in a bi-partite graph) using Neural Nets (more specifically
>the Boltzmann Machine).  Has anyone done this already?  Is there a
>good way to approach this besides converting the problem to TSP
>and then solving that?

I just want to make sure you don't really need *any* solution
to the Assignment problem, but that you specifically want a neural
net solution.

If that's not the case, then there are lots of suboptimal methods
for solving the Assignment problem that work fairly well that you
should check out first.  Of course, if you really need an optimal
solution, try Munkre's algorithm (see Burgeois and Lassalle in
COMMUNICATIONS OF THE ACM, Dec. 1971, pp. 802-806).  Then again, if
you really needed the optimal solution, you probably wouldn't be
thinking about neural nets anyway.

For a specific n-net solution, check out proceedings of ICNN and
INNS.  I'll bet that someone's done this already, probably on
a Hopfield net (pardon me, Hopfield-Grossberg net :-).

Sean