[net.micro] PC-DOS version of shar

ral@pyuxqq.UUCP (R A Levenberg) (06/18/85)

The "shar" command is a good way of sending multiple files
in a single mailing from one UNIX to another.
I'm wondering if anyone has developed companion shar commands,
one UNIX-based and the other PC-DOS based, that can be used
to create a shar file on unix, download it to the pc,
then extract files onto the pc.
A converse use would be to create a shar archive on the PC,
upload to UNIX, then extract on unix.

An alternative method would be a version of cpio that runs on
the pc and, preferably, supports the -c (character) flag
to eliminate arbitrary binary bytes.  Anybody have that yet?

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (06/19/85)

In article <726@pyuxqq.UUCP> ral@pyuxqq.UUCP (R A Levenberg) writes:
>The "shar" command is a good way of sending multiple files
>in a single mailing from one UNIX to another.
>I'm wondering if anyone has developed companion shar commands,
>one UNIX-based and the other PC-DOS based, that can be used
>to create a shar file on unix, download it to the pc,
>then extract files onto the pc.

The "sb" program posted to the net a few years ago allows a batch
transfer of files from a Unix system to a micro running YAM.  With
Omen's Pro-YAM running on the PC, files can be downloaded at 19kb
while preserving exact file length and mod date.

There is also an "rb" program which does the same for uploads.
VMS versions of "sb" and "rb" are also available on Telegodzilla
at 503-621-3746.
--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231