[comp.ai.neural-nets] Loan applications with neural nets

myers@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Steve Myers) (02/11/89)

	I am doing a paper for an undergrad class on the use
of neural networks in the evaluation of loan applications. Any
information on the hardware and software required for the
implementation of neural networks in the business environment
would be appreciated. I am more interested in the practical
application than the theory.

--
Steve Myers
Department of Electical Engineering, Kansas State University

joe@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Fellow Sufferer) (02/18/89)

In article <555@eecea.eece.ksu.edu> myers@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Steve Myers) writes:

>	I am doing a paper for an undergrad class on the use
>of neural networks in the evaluation of loan applications. Any
>information on the hardware and software required for the
>implementation of neural networks in the business environment
>would be appreciated. I am more interested in the practical
>application than the theory.
>
>Steve Myers

Hecht-Nielsen Corp of San Diego, Ca is doing just such research.

It seems they've had some success, too. The neural net was quite
good at predicting loan reliabilty.

Their real problem was explaining why an applicant was refused:
evidently there is a law which requires that the institution
explain exatactly what was wrong with an application.

That's not quite as easy as it sounds.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
=					=
= "I will take your place as a Mortal,	=
=  and you can take my place as God;	=
=  For as the Spirit excites you,	=
=  So does the Flesh excite Me."	=
=					=