[comp.ai.neural-nets] Flexibility of nervous systems

carolf@sco.COM (Carol Freinkel) (03/07/89)

In article <11945@swan.ulowell.edu> sbrunnoc@hawk.ulowell.edu (Sean Brunnock) writes:
>the human brain is pretty much uniform. This
>fact becomes dramatically obvious in the cases of people who have
>had accidents resulting in the damage of sections of the brain.
>If the damaged section performed a specialized function, then
>for awhile, the person will not be able to perform that action.
>After some time, the rest of the brain is able to assimilate
>the functions performed by the damaged section and the person
>is able to function normally again.

This is only partially true.  There are many areas of the brain
which cannot be replaced if damaged.  If the vision-processing
region at the back of the brain is removed, the person will be
blind.  Also, if both sides of the hippocampus are removed, the
person will not be able to retain long-term memory anymore.
(This operation was performed only once.  When the damage this
causes was realized, it was never done again.  I read about this
case in a neurobiology class.  This man lives in a perpetual
present.  If you were to visit him, leave the room, and walk back
in, he wouldn't know you.)  And the human brain is definitely
*not* uniform.  There is an elaborate architecture on both the
macroscopic and microscopic level.  The list of names which
describes these structures is frighteningly long.

There are many areas of the brain which are mostly
inflexible.  On the other hand, it is true that people can
sustain large amounts of damage to the frontal lobes with
(apparently) minimal effects.  Also, some children born with
brains compressed/damaged from hydrocephaly (water on the brain)
are quite intelligent.  When damage occurs at a younger age,
adapation is more likely to occur.

Generally speaking, animals with larger brains have more
flexibility.  If the eye of a newt is rotated, the newt will
perpetually move its head up to reach food which is below it and
vice versa.  When this experiment was done on kittens, the
kittens eventually adapted to the change and were able to move
appropriately.  With some animals, the circuitry is essentially
"hard-wired."  (As one anatomy professor put it, there might as
well be pulleys and levers in there.)  Creatures with more complex
nervous systems have more flexibility and possibility of
"reprogramming."

Carol Freinkel
carolf@sco.COM
...!uunet!sco!carolf

johne@astroatc.UUCP (Jonathan Eckrich) (03/15/89)

(Sean Brunnock) writes:

>>the human brain is pretty much uniform. This

(Carol Freinkel) replies:

>This is only partially true.  There are many areas of the brain
>which cannot be replaced if damaged.  If the vision-processing
>region at the back of the brain is removed, the person will be
>blind.

I recently read an article (Sorry, but I cannot recall the name) that
discussed operations performed on infant ferrets.  The optic nerves were
rerouted to what should be the part of the brain that handles hearing.

As the baby ferrets grew and experienced their environment, they developed
essentially normal sight - I don't know the quality of the surgeon's work
in reattaching the optic nerves to the auditory section of the brain.

This suggests to me that certain parts of the brain are uniform at birth,
but as experiences accumulate, new synaptic connections are made, and that
these parts of the brain become specialized by virtue of the unique
processing that they must learn.

--
						Jon Eckrich
				   (rutgers, ames)!uwvax!astroatc!johne

sheinberg-david@CS.YALE.EDU (David Sheinberg) (03/15/89)

In article <1595@astroatc.UUCP> johne@astroatc.UUCP (Jonathan Eckrich) writes:
>I recently read an article (Sorry, but I cannot recall the name) that
>discussed operations performed on infant ferrets.  The optic nerves were
>rerouted to what should be the part of the brain that handles hearing.

The article you're referring to is called "Experimentally Induced Visual
Projections in Auditory Thalamus and Cortex" by Mriganka Sur, et al.  It's
published in the December 9, 1988 _Science_ (vol 242) pp. 1437-1441.  It
certainly raises some fascinating philosophical questions.

David Sheinberg
sheinb@yale-zoo-suned.arpa

vickroy@mis.ucsf.edu (Chip Vick Roy) (03/16/89)

In article <1595@astroatc.UUCP> johne@astroatc.UUCP (Jonathan Eckrich) writes:

>I recently read an article (Sorry, but I cannot recall the name) that
>discussed operations performed on infant ferrets.  The optic nerves were
>rerouted to what should be the part of the brain that handles hearing.

The article you refer to is:
	"Experimentally Induced Visual Projections into Auditory
	Thalamus and Cortex", by Mriganka Sur, Preston E. Garraghty
	and Anna W. Roe, Science v242, Dec 9, 1988, p1437-41.

This is a marvelous study which demonstrates significant plasticity
of the developing nervous system, even across different sensory modalities.

brp@sim.uucp (bruce raoul parnas) (03/16/89)

In article <1595@astroatc.UUCP> johne@astroatc.UUCP (Jonathan Eckrich) writes:
>I recently read an article (Sorry, but I cannot recall the name) that
>discussed operations performed on infant ferrets.  The optic nerves were
>rerouted to what should be the part of the brain that handles hearing.

I have heard of this article.  does anyone out there have a reference for it?

bruce
brp@sim

In article <53646@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> sheinberg-david@CS.YALE.EDU (David Sheinberg) writes:

>The article you're referring to is called "Experimentally Induced Visual
>Projections in Auditory Thalamus and Cortex" by Mriganka Sur, et al.  It's
>published in the December 9, 1988 _Science_ (vol 242) pp. 1437-1441.  It
>certainly raises some fascinating philosophical questions.

Only if you have some unfounded, preconceived notion of the purpose of
the things, such as this one, for which the first understanding is now
being discovered.

I.e., the scientific questions it raises are much more fascinating
than the philosophical questions it renders moot.

				--Blair