[comp.ai.neural-nets] Pinker and Prince article

gblee@maui.cs.ucla.edu (03/24/89)

In article <16050@oberon.USC.EDU> you write:
>In article <2726@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> spam@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>>I just read a rather scathing article by Steven Pinker (MIT) and
>                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>Alan Prince (Brandeis) that tore PDP apart.  Has anyone seen any
>>The article bummed me out, and I'm not up enough on language
>>processing to really debate what they claim.
>>
>>++ Roger Gonzalez ++ spam@clutx.clarkson.edu ++ Clarkson University ++
>
>	Could you please post a complete reference to this article  (where
>it was published etc.). I am sure many of us will be interested in
>getting hold of a copy.
>     Thank you,
>
>bs manjunath.

The article is :
Pinker, S. and Prince, A. (1988). On language and connectionism: analysis
of a parallel distributed processing models of language inqusition.
Cognition, Vol. 28, PP 73-193.

Actually this volume of cognition contains two other papers which
attack PDP model and it is published as a book.

the two other articles are:

Fodor, J. and Pylyshyn, A. (1988) Connectionism and cognitive architecture:
a critical analysis.

Lachter, J and Bever, T. G. (1988) The relation between linguistic
structure and associative theories of language learning -- A constructive
critique of some connectionist learning models.

--
Geunbae Lee
AI Lab, UCLA