[comp.ai.neural-nets] How to simulate Foreign Exchange Rates

harish@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Harish Pillay) (04/26/89)

I am taking a grad course on NN and am planning on doing a project trying to
predict foreign exchange rates specifically the following:
   US$ vs British Pound vs Japanese Yen vs Singapore $ vs German Marks

I am using NeuralWorks and am thinking of using the backprop strategy.
So far, all I've done is to gather the exchange rates reported in the
WSJ from March 17 to today.  I've normalized it to be within 0 and 1
but my problem is in trying to train the network.  Has anyone out there
done anything similar to this?  If so, what desired output values did
you use to train?  I understand that it is naive to just take the rates
themselves and try to get a pattern or correlation.  Should I be looking
at other values too?  What kind of transfer function should I use?  I think
one hidden layer may be sufficient.

I would really appreciate any suggestions, and will post something once I
get this project done.

Thanks.

Harish Pillay                                Internet: harish@ece.orst.edu
Electrical and Computer Engineering          MaBell: 503-758-1389 (home)
Oregon State University                              503-754-2554 (office)
Corvallis, OR 97331

andrew@berlioz (Andrew Palfreyman) (04/26/89)

In article <10198@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, harish@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Harish Pillay) writes:
> I am taking a grad course on NN and am planning on doing a project trying to
> predict foreign exchange rates specifically the following:
>    US$ vs British Pound vs Japanese Yen vs Singapore $ vs German Marks
> I am using NeuralWorks and am thinking of using the backprop strategy.
> ...but my problem is in trying to train the network.  Has anyone out there
> done anything similar to this?  If so, what desired output values did
> you use to train?  I understand that it is naive to just take the rates
> themselves and try to get a pattern or correlation.  Should I be looking
> at other values too?  What kind of transfer function should I use?  I think
> one hidden layer may be sufficient.

One brute force method, to separate the chicken from the egg, might be to
use the changes instead of the absolute values (especially since you're
using localised data which doesn't span a boom or a crash).
Maybe then you could use 3 inputs in parallel (3 currencies) and 2 outputs,
and just ring the changes (5c3 = 10 ways) until the input deltas produce
correct output deltas. An associative net might do this better.
Else, you could play with recursive nets (Jordan, etc.), whereby you
try and predict tomorrow's 5-vector, given today's.
--
Andrew Palfreyman 		USENET: ...{this biomass}!nsc!logic!andrew
National Semiconductor M/S D3969, 2900 Semiconductor Dr., PO Box 58090,