[comp.ai.neural-nets] Neuron Digest V5 #23

neuron-request@HPLABS.HP.COM ("Neuron-Digest Moderator Peter Marvit") (05/20/89)

Neuron Digest   Friday, 19 May 1989
                Volume 5 : Issue 23

Today's Topics:
                        Administrivia - PLEASE READ!
                      Back-prop vs. linear regression
                              Beginner's Books
                 Looking for Neural Net\Music Applications
               Re: Looking for Neural Net/Music Applications
               Re: Looking for Neural Net\Music Applications
                 Looking for Neural Net/Music Applications
               Re: Looking for Neural Net/Music Applications
               Re: Looking for Neural Net/Music Applications
                Neural Net Applications (Weather Forcasting)
                          RE: Neuron Digest V5 #20
                             Position Available
                     request - Parallel Theorem Proving
                           SAIC's Bomb "Sniffer"
                             speech recognition
           Texture Segmentation using the Boundary Contour System

Send submissions, questions, address maintenance and requests for old issues to
"neuron-request@hplabs.hp.com" or "{any backbone,uunet}!hplabs!neuron-request"
ARPANET users can get old issues via ftp from hplpm.hpl.hp.com (15.255.16.205).

Subject: Administrivia - PLEASE READ!
From:    "Neuron-Digest Moderator -- Peter Marvit" <neuron@hplabs.hp.com>
Date:    Fri, 19 May 89 10:52:16 -0700

Several important topics:

        1. As the academic year ends, many of your accounts may be disabled.
*PLEASE* tell me ahead of time.  In general, if I received too many "unable
to deliver" messages, I will unceremoniously remove your address from the
mailing list.  Thus, if you don't get an issue for several weeks, you may
have been dropped.

        2. Some folks have asked if an informal get-together could be held
during IJCNN in Washington this June.  I've talked to the organizers and
they'll provide a room for a "Bird of a Feather Session." The problem?
Schedule. The conference is jam-packed.  I suggest a (bring your own) lunch
meeting Monday.  If you are interested in attending (or organizing) a BOF
for Neuron Digest subscribers or on some specialized topic. *PLEASE* send me
mail ASAP.  If enough (e.g., 15) answer, I'll do some legwork.  IF lots
(e.g., >40), then I'll need help.

        3. Regarding the content of the Digest. I give priority to messages
sent directly to <neuron-request> by reader for inclusion.  As many of you
know, all postings from the (unmoderated) USENET bulletin board
comp.ai.neural-nets are gatewayed to me; I then edit and include some of
them in Digest form.  There has been a lot of activity there recently and I
had not caught up as I had hoped, due to a disk failure. I will try to get
the backlog out, but I will continue to make messages sent directly to me
the priority.  Digests will also (in general) be either all discussion or
all announcements.

        4. Thank you, kind readers, for making this Digest so successful.
We now have over 680 address, many of which are redistribution points.  We
have subscribers from all over the world!  I look forward to getting more
postings from all of you!  Comments and suggestions on format always
appreciated.

        -Peter Marvit
         <neuron-request@hplabs.hp.com>

------------------------------

Subject: Back-prop vs. linear regression
From:    Brady@udel.edu
Date:    Wed, 10 May 89 07:50:54 -0400

Can someone point me to sources describing how backpropagation differs from
linear regression?

------------------------------

Subject: Beginner's Books
From:    "Bryan Koen" <C484739@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU>
Date:    Thu, 11 May 89 13:45:55 -0500

Are there any GOOD beginner's texts out there on Neural nets?

Bryan Koen
C484739@UMCVMB.BITNET

[[Editor's Response:  It depends on what you mean "beginner."  I don't know
of any which are suitable for Junior High or unsophisticated High School.
However, I still regard the PDP series (Rumelhart and McClelland) as the
best overview of the field.  We are seeing a blossoming of books, both
specialized and general, which cover many aspects of Neural Nets and related
topics.  I would also say that the "best" beginning book might depend on the
field you're coming from. Other opinions? -PM]]

------------------------------

Subject: Looking for Neural Net\Music Applications
From:    cs178wbp@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (Slash)
Date:    Sat, 15 Apr 89 04:03:31 +0000

I am looking for neural network applications in music and/or references to
work that has been done in this area. I am about to begin work on a project
that will attempt to have a network learn how to do basic jazz
improvisation.

More specifically, I am interested in input representation techniques and
schemes for musical notation (i.e bars, notes, rests, ties, triplets, dots,
etc...).

Any references to prior work in this area is welcome and will be greatly
appreciated.

E-mail Address :  cs178wbp@icse4.ucsd.edu

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Looking for Neural Net/Music Applications
From:    Richard Fozzard <fozzard@BOULDER.COLORADO.EDU>
Date:    18 Apr 89 18:31:17 +0000

Though this reference is not for jazz, but rock music, I thought you (and
the newsgroup) still might be interested :-)

                                       SEMINAR

                   Jimi Hendrix meets the Giant Screaming Buddha:
                 Recreating the Sixties via Back Propagation in Time

                                Garrison W. Cottrell
                            Department of Sixties Science
                       Southern California Condominium College

               As the Sixties rapidly recede from the cultural memory,  one
          nagging problem has been the lack of a cultural milieu that could
          produce another guitar player like Jimi Hendrix.  Recent research
          has  shown  that  part  of  the problem has been the lack of high
          microgram dosages of  LSD  due  to  the  war  on  drugs.   Recent
          advances in neural network technology have provided legal ways to
          artificially recreate and combine models of Hendrix  and  LSD  in
          recurrent  PDP  networks.  The basic idea is to train a recurrent
          back propagation network via Williams & Zipser's (1988) algorithm
          to  learn the map between musical scores of Hendrix music and the
          hand movements as recorded in various  movies.   The  network  is
          then given simulated doses of LSD and allowed to create new music
          on its own.

               The first component of the model, following  (Jordan,  1988)
          is  to  have  the  network  learn  a  forward  model of the motor
          commands that drive robot hands which  play  a  guitar.   Usually
          this  is  done via allowing the network to "babble", i.e., having
          the network produce random motor outputs, allowing  it  to  learn
          the  map  between its motor outputs and the sound produced.  Once
          the network has learned the motor-acoustic map, it  may  then  be
          exposed  to  environmental  patterns corresponding to the desired
          input-output map in acoustic space.  Thus for example,  the  plan
          vector  for  the network will be a representation of the score of
          the Star Spangled Banner,  presented  a  bar  at  a  time.   Over
          several  iterations  on each bar, the teaching signal is Hendrix'
          corresponding rendition[1].  Thus the model  learns  through  the
          Jimi  Hendrix Experience.  Once the model is trained, we now have
          a neural network model, Jimi Matrix, that can sight read.  We can
          now  see how Hendrix would have played the hits of today.  One of
          the first songs we plan to apply this to is the smash hit, "Don't
          Worry, Be Happy".

               It has long been suspected that the ability to produce  maps
          of this sort is due to some hidden degrees  of  freedom[2].   One
          form  of  an  extra  degree of freedom is Lysergic Diethyl Amide,
          better known as LSD.  Current models of the effect  of  LSD  only
          produce simple forms of doubly periodic patterns on visual cortex
          that correspond to so-called "form constants" perceived by people
          while hallucinating (Ermentrout & Cowan, 1979).  However, most of
          these studies were  done  on  subjects  who  only  ingested  .125
          Haas[3].  Much more complicated, cognitive  level  hallucinations
          occur  at  higher  doses.   In order to model the Giant Screaming
          Buddha hallucination that occurs about 45 minutes after ingesting
          1  Haas, new models are necessary.  The basic idea is that 1 Haas
          produces oscillations in association cortex that then  feed  back
          on  area  17,  producing the visual sensation of the oft-reported
          mythic figure.  Applying this to the Jimi Matrix model, it is  no
          wonder  that "six turned out to be nine" (Hendrix, 1967).  By the
          judicious introduction of simulated  LSD  into  the  Jimi  Matrix
          model,  we  will use this as a "chaotic cognitive generator".  We
          estimate that with this technique, we can  produce  an  album  of
          all-new Hendrix material every eight hours on a Sun-4.
          ____________________
             [1]"Excess degrees of freedom" does not begin to describe this
          map.   Hence  radical  new techniques will be necessary.  This is
          another area where simulated LSD comes in.
             [2]As with hidden units, the big question is where people hide
          their extra degrees of freedom.  Our research suggests that  Hen-
          drix' were actually hidden in guitar strings pre-soaked in lyser-
          gic acid. This accounts his habit  of  playing  guitar  with  his
          tongue, and destroying the evidence afterward.
             [3]The Haas is a unit of acid dose. 1 Haas == 6 hits, or about
          750 micrograms.

Richard Fozzard
University of Colorado                          "Serendipity empowers"
fozzard@boulder.colorado.edu

------------------------------

From:    baggi@icsi.berkeley.edu (Denis L. Baggi)
Date:    Sat, 29 Apr 89 04:37:07 +0000

I am doing something somewhat related and I enclose a description of the
state of the project a few months ago - excuse the introductory tone, that's
an abstract of a talk:

[[ Editor's Note.  Abstract omitted for brevity.  Readers should consult
Neuron-Digest Vol. 5 #4 (15 Jan 89) for the original, plus my commentary on
the talk. -PM]]

My network does not improvise solo lines, but generates what a jazz pianist,
bassist and drummer improvise from an harmonic grid.  Thus the only problems
of notation I have are those related to harmony: e.g. Cm7, F#7(-5) etc.

One of your problems has to do with the fact that in jazz, by definition,
notated music has no meaning, it is only in the instant it's being played
that it exists. One could argue that's a truism, but in classical music, in
a certain sense, the notation identifies the music, while in jazz it is only
the instant: i.e., the notation for jazz is the record - since 1917 -, as
the canvas is the medium for painting, and NOT the score.

As for previous work in the area, I know only of David Levitt's, Christopher
Fry's and David Wessel's - the latter two not well published. None use
connectionist models, the first two use LISP flavors and the latter C++.

I am at anybody's disposal for further information.

Denis Baggi
International Computer Science Institute, Berkeley
University of California, Berkeley

------------------------------

From:    androula@cb.ecn.purdue.edu (Ioannis Androulakis)
Date:    Tue, 09 May 89 05:46:08 +0000

I apologize for this posting, since it is actually a question addressed to
Jerry Ricario, concerinig one of his postings long time ago. It is about the
work he is doing attempting to have a NN learn how to do basic jazz
"impovisation" My question is the following, how do you define
"improvisation" and, once you do that, what do you mean by "learn how to
imporovise" I believe that imporvisation is not the output of some neurons
that learned how to do something. What I do not undertstand is what you
expect the network to learn. If we will ever be able to construct a network
that has the ability to imporvise, as a human, then we would have achieved
much more that this imporvisation.  Who knows, this way we will may be able
to "construct" a new Chopin or a List, both masters of imporvisation......

Thank you, and once again I apologize, although I will be waiting for any
answer since I happen to be interested in both AI and music.

 yannis
 androula@helium.ecn.purdue.edu

------------------------------

From:    chank@cb.ecn.purdue.edu (King Chan)
Date:    Tue, 09 May 89 17:30:47 +0000

[[Regarding the question of learning and improvisation]]

  I am aware of AI application to musical composition.  Specifically,
  research at MIT produced interesting model-based composition programs
  for jazz, rock, and rag time.  This was on exhibit at chicago's
  museum of science and technology.
        There is a possibility of learning even for improvisation.
  Music can be considered as a collection of primitives, patterns of
  which make a piece of music.  The learning aspect can be spoken of
  as the ability to pass a judgement on such a piece as being aesthetically
  appealing to a musician or not.  It is this judgement that allows a
  adaptive approach to the development of music.  The judgement is the
  part of the musician's knowledge that needs to be learned by the program
  if it is to make any good improvisations.
  QED
                                                   KING CHAN
                                                   (chessnut)

------------------------------

From:    lwyse@cochlea.usa (Wyse)
Date:    Wed, 10 May 89 18:54:13 +0000

Two exciting publications coming up this year: Computer Music Journal (MIT
Press), and INTERFACE (a journal of research in music, sorry-publisher
unknown) are both devoting special issues to neural networks and music.
Interface will have a more "systems-theoretic" flavor.

------------------------------

Subject: Neural Net Applications (Weather Forcasting)
From:    cs178wbg@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (-___^___-)
Date:    Mon, 17 Apr 89 04:47:42 +0000

   We are currently investigating the future possibilities for incorporating
a nerual network (possibly back propogation) for weather forcasting.  We are
still in the early stages of programming much less deciding on which
simulator would be most appropriate for this project.  We are interested in
any previous or present work done on this particular subject.  Your replys
will be greatly appreciated.

  Please e-mail your response cs178wbg@sdcc18.ucsd.edu.

                                             Thank you,

                                                Ian M. Dacanay
                                                Rodel Agpaoa

------------------------------

Subject: RE: Neuron Digest V5 #20
From:    GEURDES%HLERUL55.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Date:    Tue, 02 May 89 15:42:00 +0700

I (J.F. Geurdes) am interested in the biochemistry of cognition.  When I was
a student I wrote a doctorals thesis on the subject of 'quantum biochemistry
of arginine-9-vasopressine' ,a study in which molecular parameters like net
atomic charge and gross conformation where correlated with effectivity of
substituents of Arg-VP (effectivity data where obtained from experiments of
De Wied an authority on the subject of neuropeptides ). I regretted to quit
this type of research.

 The main conclusion of my study was that the subject is terrible difficult
but equal interesting. A preliminary conclusion could be drawn however. The
electrostatic picture of the 'tail' of this peptide seems to be of some
importance in the binding to 'memory intermediate receptors in the brain.

I am eager to hear what your reference (Perth it was ?) has to say on the
subject.

                                Greetings
                                J.F. Geurdes

------------------------------

Subject: Position Available
From:    plunkett@daimi.dk (Kim Plunkett)
Date:    Thu, 27 Apr 89 15:11:52 +0000

The Institute of Psychology, University of Aarhus, Denmark is announcing a
new position at the Associate Professor level. Applicants should document
research within the area of psychology or Cognitive Science which involves
the relation between information and computer technology, and psychological
processes. Qualifications within the latter area - the relation to computer
technology and psychology - will be given special consideration.

For further details, please contact Dr. Kim Plunkett:

psykimp@dkarh02.bitnet

(Deadline for receipt of applications: June 2nd, 1989)

------------------------------

Subject: request - Parallel Theorem Proving
From:    rawlins%etive.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK
Date:    Sat, 13 May 89 13:54:19 -0000

I am interested in hearing about any work that is being done in the area of
automatic theorem proving using massively parallel systems.  Besides the
work of Derthick at CMU and of Ballard at Rochester; are there any other
novel approaches?

If anyone is actively researching into this area perhaps we could exchange
ideas.
                Thanks,
                          Pete Rawlins.
email: rawlins@ed.ac.uk

------------------------------

Subject: SAIC's Bomb "Sniffer"
From:    john%mpl@ucsd.edu (John McInerney)
Date:    Wed, 03 May 89 10:18:11 -0700

I just saw reported in EE Times:

        Neural nose to sniff out explosives at JFK airport

Santa Clara, Calif.-- The Federal Aviation Administration next month will
install the first neural-based bomb detector at New York's JFK International
Airport.

Later the article goes on to quote an FAA spokesman to say, "in line with
the basic premise the FAA is trying to follow of getting the human being out
of the loop."

I find the above very interesting expecially in contrast to Winston's
plenary talk at AAAI 87 where he said that he would not trust a neural
network in a nuclear power plant.  (I hope I am not misquoting him.)  My
feeling at the time was that a neural network is exactly the kind of system
that you would want.  Instead of having the system die with "IBSLOG SYSTEM
ERROR SYSTAT *.* CORE DUMPED; EXPECTED '= ON INPUT LINE 17" the net would do
something "more reasonable." What the net would do might not be exactly what
a human operator might do, but it is certainly better than crashing because
that specific input had never been tested before.

Like many others I am concerned about the second statement above regarding
"getting the human being out of the loop."  In this case there seems to be a
problem with the amount of luggage that goes through these systems and the
small probabilities of ever finding something.  Hopefully the machine can
deal with the tedium much better than a human.  I guess I feel uneasy with a
fully automatic system, given the inherent unreliability of hardware and
software (even nets!), in such a life-and-death situations.

                                        John McInerney
                                        john%cs@ucsd.edu

[[Editor's Note: In fact, quite a bit of work is being done in England
(University of Glastonberry?) on an "artificial nose." While most of the
applications (and funding) has been for food and tobacco applications, the
general principles appear as sound as any.  The physical setup is a number
of different sensors (the chemistry of which still eludes me) which provide
variable electric signal when presented with "odors." By combining the
output of these sensors into a Neural Network, a reasonably unique signature
is obtained by way of traditional signal recognition techniques.  The set up
has been described as "biologically inspired" though certainly not as complex
as Walter Freeman's models.

If someone could provide contacts, or a specific reference, I would
appreciate it.  Otherwise, I'll try to dig out the name of the speaker from
that University.  I will leave the ethical question of implementing the
system described in the message above to readers' discussion. -PM]]

------------------------------

Subject: speech recognition
From:    HAHN_K%DMRHRZ11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Date:    Thu, 04 May 89 13:58:50 +0700

I'm looking for references concerning connectionist speech recognition,
early stages (phoneme recognition, feature extraction) as well as later
processing (word recognition etc.). I'd appreciate any pointers.

Thanx,
Klaus.

Klaus Hahn                             Bitnet: HAHN_K@DMRHRZ11

Department of Psychology
Gutenbergstr. 18
University of MARBURG
D-3550 Marburg

West-Germany

------------------------------

Subject: Texture Segmentation using the Boundary Contour System
From:    dario@techunix.BITNET (Dario Ringach)
Date:    Wed, 12 Apr 89 05:49:36 +0000

How can the Boundary Contour System segment textures with identical
second-order statistics?  I mean, first-order differences are easily
discovered by the "contrast sensitive" cells at the first stage of the BCS
(the OC filter), while the CC-loop can account for second- order (dipole)
statistics; but how can the BCS segment textures, as the ones presented by
Julez [1], which have even identical third-order statistics but are easily
discriminable?  Is the BCS/FCS model consistent with Julez's Textons theory?
If so, in which way?

Thanks!
Dario Ringach
dario@techunix.bitnet

[1] B. Julez and R. Bergen, 'Textons, the Fundamental Elements in
    Preattentive Vision and Perception of Structures', The Bell
    Technical Journal, Vol. 62, No. 6, pp. 1619, 1983.

End of Neurons Digest