[comp.ai.neural-nets] Schools for AI&Neural-nets

ramamurb@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Badrinath Ramamurthy) (08/02/89)

    A friend of mine finished his MS and intends to work for his PhD
    in Neural Networks and AI. Any suggestions which schools  he should
    be applying to ?
    You can email me on this address: ramamurb@turing.cs.rpi.edu

Thanx in advance.
-Badri

ramamurb@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Badrinath Ramamurthy) (08/03/89)

I recently posted a request for names of Schools with good PhD programs
for AI & Neural-nets. Many people have asked me to forward my replies /
post summaries to them. Yes, I'll post a summary to this newsgroup soon.

- Badri

ramamurb@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Badrinath Ramamurthy) (08/08/89)

Hello friends !

I posted a request  for names of schools with good PhD programs
for Neural Nets and AI, for a friend of mine.
A lot of people were enthusiastic and shared their thoughts.
Here is what I received:

Many people named the following Schools:

 Boston U
 Caltech
 CMU
 MIT
 Rochester
 U of toronto
 UCSB
 Univ of Southern California at LA (USC at LA)
 UCSD
 Yale

Many people chose to mention names and elaborate, and here I reproduce
the text from these responses. Some mention newly formed groups and
some give interesting information on literature to look up.

------------------ ------------------------------ ----------

Subject: Re: Schools for AI/Neural nets

I am satisfied with UCSD - there are a LOT of people doing work in the
area, not only in computer Science but in Cognitive Science, Physics,
Linguistics, Economics and Biology (as well as others, no doubt).
Course work available include Hecht-Nielsen's full year course,
an intro course by Gary Cottrell in Computer Science, seminars
on Machine Learning & more.  Ongoing seminars include the PDP
research group in Cognitive Science, authors & source of the three
volume PDP books.

Other schools doing interesting things:

Boston University & Northeastern have the Center for Adaptive Systems
or some such, under Steven Grossberg.  The program is new and I don't know
much about it, but Grossberg's work (while hard to plow through) is very
important.

USC has Michael Arbib, Bart Kosko and Christof von der Malsberg.  I have
heard from a couple of their grad students that contact with them is
not easy nor productive.  I think very highly of von der Malsberg,
however.  He is on the right track...

Carnegie-Mellon has a major effort.

Colorado-Boulder has Mike Mozer & Paul Smolensky.  I don't agree with
everything they say, but their work is excellent.

Mike Jordan is now at M.I.T., he would be excellent to work for in
applications of neural networks to robotics problems.

Toronto & Rochester have some good people as well.

And Stanford now has Rumelhart as well as Mark Gluck, a recent PhD
who is extremely prolific.  Most of their work is in Psych, or
Signal Processing (Bernie Widrow).

This should be a good core of schools to look at.  I'd recommend
getting a hold of recent proceedings from IJCNN, or the last two
ICNN conferences, plus the NIPS conference and take a look at
papers.  If your friend sees something exciting, then he might
want to contact that school & see what's up.  Lots of research
now will pay off in a happy PhD program...

Dave DeMers
demers@cs.ucsd.edu

----------------------- xx xx xx xx xx xx xx -------------------

From enorris@gmuvax2.gmu.edu Wed Aug  2 13:20:17 1989

Your friend would do well to consider George Mason University, located
near Washington, D.C.  There is a novel Ph.D. program in Information
Technology which provides a broad base in computer science, software
engineering, OR/STAT, etc. The CS Department has a flourishing and
well-=funded AI Center with particular interests in Machine Learning.
Other CS facultyt are active in neural networks, expert systems,
genetic algorithms, natural language processing, etc.  Assistantships
are available.  For firther information write

Dr. James Palmer
School of Information Technology & Engineering
George Mason University
Fairfax, VA  22030
(703) 323-2939

Eugene Norris
CS Dept, GMU

From honavar@cs.wisc.edu Wed Aug  2 14:05:34 1989

CMU, UCSD, Yale, Brown, MIT, UWisc-Madison, Boston U, Stanford,
Berkeley, Rochester, UCLA, Maryland, ..

He should look at the recent proceedings of IJCAI, NIPS, as well as
AI and NNet journals.

From heirich@cs.UCSD.EDU Thu Aug  3 00:18:21 1989

You may consider me biased, given my location, but I think the best
schools for a graduate program in neural nets are, without a doubt:

  Univ. Calif. San Diego
  Cal Tech
  Univ. Southern Cal.

The other significant places would be: U. Toronto; Stanford;
U.C. Boulder; Boston U.

There are certainly other places, but these should be at the
top of any list because of the faculty there.

----------------
Alan Heirich     Comp. Sci. & Eng., Cognitive Science
C-014 University of California, San Diego 92093

heirich@cs.ucsd.edu
aheirich@ucsd.bitnet

From ck@rex.cs.tulane.edu Thu Aug  3 02:10:00 1989

At the Computer Science Department of Tulane University we have a PhD
program and a group working on Neural Nets.

Dr. Koutsougeras

From plong@saturn.ucsc.edu Fri Aug  4 14:36:21 1989
Subject: Grad Schools for Neural Nets

The University of California at Santa Cruz has an excellent program in
Computational Learning Theory, if your friend is interested in studying
the theoretical properties of neural nets.

David Haussler and Manfred Warmuth, two of the "Four Germans" who wrote a
key paper in this area, continue to be central figures, and both are a
pleasure to work with.  A third faculty member, Dave Helmbold, who has
wide ranging interests, has contributed papers recently.  Scholars visiting
during the summer for joint research projects include Andrzej Ehrenfeucht,
Michael Kearns, Nick Littlestone, Rob Schapire and Bob Sloan.

The atmosphere here is very relaxed and noncompetative.  The campus is truly
beautiful, nestled in the redwoods in the hills overlooking Santa Cruz, with
much of the campus having a view of the ocean.  Computing facilities are
excellent, and a vast majority of graduate students receive some sort of
assistantship.

I strongly recommend UC Santa Cruz for studying the theory of neural nets.

Phil Long

P.S.  Some other schools with a lot of activity in Computational Learning
Theory are MIT, Harvard, Technion (Isreal), Penn, Illinois, Illinois-Chicago,
and Pittsburgh.

   Thanks to all the people who gave me this information.
   In case I receive more responses, I'll post the addenda.(If thats
   the right word).

   -Badri
  Badrinath Ramamurthy ( ramamurb@turing.cs.rpi.edu )

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (08/09/89)

In article <6561@rpi.edu> ramamurb@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Badrinath Ramamurthy) writes:

> Univ of Southern California at LA (USC at LA)

I just thought I'd better clarify so others don't get confused.  There is no
school that is known as USC at LA.

There is the University of Southern California (USC) which is a private school
and one of a kind.

Then there is the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) which is a
branch of the University of California system.  UCSB, UCSD, and UCD are also
UC branches.

I suppose that there were responses for both USC and UCLA, thus the confusion.
I don't understand how people can get confused.  After all, California is THE
center of the world.  :-)  :-D  :-)

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (128.120.57.20)
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 146 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

patil@a.cs.okstate.edu (Patil Rajendra Bha) (08/11/89)

In article <6322@rpi.edu>, ramamurb@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Badrinath Ramamurthy) writes:

>     A friend of mine finished his MS and intends to work for his PhD
>     in Neural Networks and AI. Any suggestions which schools  he should
>     be applying to ?
>     You can email me on this address: ramamurb@turing.cs.rpi.edu
>
> Thanx in advance.
> -Badri

	The information about the schools is given in one of the neural network
society journal of 1988 some of them are
The university of Tennessee , Center for neural engineering
Boston University, Center for adaptive systems
Brown university, Rhode Island
John Hopkins university
CALTECH
Carnegie Mellon, Psychology Dept,
MIT

There are many others,
	last month I posted the same message, I got the same reply what you got,
Then I looked into the research center directory and now awating the replies from the universities.
	I am a graduate student in computer science and willing to go for Ph.D in neural networks. I would appreciate if you could mail the list of universitiesto me. I will let you know about the replies that I will receive.

Thank you

Patil Rajendra
patil@a.cs.okstate.edu