[comp.ai.neural-nets] Connectionism, a paradigm shift?

andrew@berlioz (Lord Snooty @ The Giant Poisoned Electric Head ) (08/04/89)

In article <24241@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, dave@cogsci.indiana.edu (David Chalmers) writes:
[A discussion on fads and the rapid growth of connectionism, and a prediction
of its demise through hype]

I think you should crosspost this to comp.ai.neural-nets, whose members seem
to exhibit the usual healthy cynicism of a comp.. group; not a pack of
zealots by any means!

I agree that there exists a danger from over-rapid over-exposure and
the concomitant media hype. This is a constant warning cry made at the
conferences, and by people who popularise the field. You have to bear in
mind that we're only human, and become naturally excited even as researchers
and informed observers when new results appear. It is not necessary to
*immediately* understand the nature of the underlying mechanism when
a new and successful application is created (in this sense, your analogy
to cold fusion is spot-on).

I think that what is required to save the field from the "hype seesaw"
is a healthy rate of generation of solid new theoretical results.
Two fairly recent results, for example, which could be seen to qualify:

1) A preprocessing paradigm using a simple one-layer net and an easily-
   implementable learning algorithm, which extracts the eigenvalues of
   the input autocorrelation - useful for image compression, etc.
   In particular, information-theoretic approaches are producing new
   results.  [Sanger, Linsker, Foldiak]
2) A formal proof of an algorithm for a restricted class of nets, which
   predicts detailed network dynamics given the training pattern set.
   [Lemmon, Kumar]

There is a tremendous amount of high-quality work going on, bolstered by
the application of formal mathematical techniques.
It seems to me that this truly sets NN research apart from the much
more "hand-waving" stuff that I encountered when looking at conventional
AI, when expert systems were on the rise in the early- and mid-80s.
Here one found tree traversal stuff and Bayesian statistical variations,
definitons of "frames" and the like; the ad hoc component was significant.
(although fuzzy set theory has to some extent set some of this on a more
formal footing, I have to agree).

The analogy I have in mind equates NN research to the microstructure of
cognition, and as such is akin to "physics". When dealing with the atoms
of behaviour, it's possible to produce significant and fundamental results.
Symbolic AI smacks to me much more like "inorganic chemistry".

The consensus view seems to be that these two paradigms will eventually
cooperate in future artificial cognitive systems. Work is already
ongoing to combine expert systems with NN coprocessors. However, taking
the brain as an existence proof, it's clear that NN technology can
implement all levels of cognition, whereas it is unclear whether symbolic
methods are capable of this [see e.g. Steve Harnath: subsymbolic and
symbolic processing].
Andrew Palfreyman	There's a good time coming, be it ever so far away,
andrew@berlioz.nsc.com	That's what I says to myself, says I,
time sucks					   jolly good luck, hooray!

andrew@berlioz (Lord Snooty @ The Giant Poisoned Electric Head ) (08/04/89)

My apologies for the misspelling of the name of author Steve Harnad.
I think that's right now.
Andrew Palfreyman	There's a good time coming, be it ever so far away,
andrew@berlioz.nsc.com	That's what I says to myself, says I,
time sucks					   jolly good luck, hooray!

holt@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Peter Holt) (08/07/89)

I would say that is a fairly zealous statement.

Personally I have not decided which paradigm is better for what when yet,
but lets remember that there may only be a superficial resemblance
between the operations of the brain and current neural net technology!
A lot more things are happening in the brain (especially chemically
and at the intraneuron level) than are in neural nets.
It may even be a coincidence that what some of the functionality
of neural nets approximates some of the very basic perceptual-cognitive
functions of the brain. Some of the other functionality of neural nets
(extracting eigenvalues?) would not seem to match the way
humans do same things at all.

andrew@berlioz (Lord Snooty @ The Giant Poisoned Electric Head ) (08/08/89)

In article <705@aurora.AthabascaU.CA>,holt@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Peter Holt) writes:
> ..but lets remember that there may only be a superficial resemblance
> between the operations of the brain and current neural net technology!

Let's talk about "resemblance", then.
"Resemblance" is a strong suit for nets in the connectionism
vs. serial symbolic systems debate, and yet you use it for critique!
When PROLOG executes a branch instruction in the ALU of the SPARC chip,
where is the resemblance to the brain?

jps@cat.cmu.edu (James Salsman) (08/08/89)

In article <599@berlioz.nsc.com> andrew@berlioz (Lord Snooty @ The Giant Poisoned Electric Head ) writes:

> When PROLOG executes a branch instruction in the ALU of the SPARC chip,
> where is the resemblance to the brain?

It depends on the rest of the SPARC system's state.

If you have a formal description of a data structure and an
algorithm, then you have a program.  Using a technique
called "programming" one may map these descriptions on to
different kinds of computer systems.  The Neural-Net of the
brain is one kind of system, and a SPARC system is somthing
else entirely.  The only reason that they can't be executing
the same program is that the I/O systems are very different.

:James
--

:James P. Salsman (jps@CAT.CMU.EDU)

davidvc@binky.sybase.com (David Van Couvering) (08/09/89)

In article <705@aurora.AthabascaU.CA> you write:
>Personally I have not decided which paradigm is better for what when yet,
>but lets remember that there may only be a superficial resemblance
>between the operations of the brain and current neural net technology!
>A lot more things are happening in the brain (especially chemically
>and at the intraneuron level) than are in neural nets.
>It may even be a coincidence that what some of the functionality
>of neural nets approximates some of the very basic perceptual-cognitive
>functions of the brain. Some of the other functionality of neural nets
>(extracting eigenvalues?) would not seem to match the way
>humans do same things at all.

Hear hear!  There is still so much to know/learn about the brain
and human cognition.  For instance, the actual mechanism for
learning/memory.  For instance, the actual mechanism for pattern
recognition.  For God's sake, we don't even know what 80% of
the brain does!  Not to put down the great progress of neural
network technology, but to remember what a great realm of work
there is still to do.

David

davidvc@sybase.com
{pacbell, lll-tis, pyramid, sun}!sybase!davidvc

coggins@coggins.cs.unc.edu (Dr. James Coggins) (08/13/89)

In article <568@berlioz.nsc.com> andrew@berlioz (Lord Snooty @ The Giant Poisoned Electric Head ) writes:
>I think you should crosspost this to comp.ai.neural-nets, whose members seem
>to exhibit the usual healthy cynicism of a comp.. group; not a pack of
>zealots by any means!

Thank you, I'm sure.

>I think that what is required to save the field from the "hype seesaw"
>is a healthy rate of generation of solid new theoretical results.

>There is a tremendous amount of high-quality work going on, bolstered by
>the application of formal mathematical techniques.

>It seems to me that this truly sets NN research apart from the much
>more "hand-waving" stuff that I encountered when looking at conventional
>AI, when expert systems were on the rise in the early- and mid-80s.
>Here one found tree traversal stuff and Bayesian statistical variations,
>definitons of "frames" and the like; the ad hoc component was significant.
>(although fuzzy set theory has to some extent set some of this on a more
>formal footing, I have to agree).
>
>Andrew Palfreyman	There's a good time coming, be it ever so far away,
>andrew@berlioz.nsc.com	That's what I says to myself, says I,

I'm afraid that the theoretical foundation you appreciate is actually
inherited (or bastardized, depending on your point of view) from
the statistical pattern recognition studies of ten to twenty years
ago.  Sure there is a theory base, but it's ready-made, much of it
not arising inherently from NNs (but being REdiscovered there).

"...only be sure please always to call it RESEARCH!"
                   from Lobachevsky by Tom Lehrer

I have been impressed with the confirmation provided by this newsgroup
that the majority of researchers in this area really are disgusted at
the publicity-mongering, money-grubbing approach of too many
well-placed (and well-heeled) labs, researchers, writers, companies,
seminar sellers, and the like.  NNs might become a significant
contribution making possible highly parallel implementations of many
kinds of processes if the science fiction futurist brain-theory
dabblers would shut up and let the real researchers develop the field
in a careful, disciplined way, without having to run interference
against massively inflated expectations of the work.

A few months ago I posted to comp.ai.neural-nets the document
reproduced below.  I guess it was too hot for the newsgroup, but I did
receive 13 e-mail replies: 8 firmly supportive, 4 asking for more
pointers to statistical pattern recognition which I gladly supplied
(But note: Is the scholarship in the NN field really so weak that NN
researchers are unaware of twenty years of research in statistical
pattern recognition? The evidence says yes!), and one sharply critical
but easy to refute (a True Believer who went down in flames).

I posted the document below in the spirit of my other "Outrageous
Discussion Papers" that I have been circulating to carefully selected
audiences to provoke thought and comment and encourage skepticism.  I
have one flaming the use of rule-based expert systems in medical
applications, one arguing that edges are an inadequate foundation for
vision, one arguing that automatic identification of organs in CT
scans is an unworthy task of little practical value, one that is a
manifesto for my approach to computer vision research, and the neural
net one below.  If you are interested, e-mail me, but I'm leaving now
for a three-week vacation, so don't expect my usual rapid response.

My assessment of the neural net area is as follows:
(consider these Six Theses nailed to the church door)

1. NNs are a parallel implementation technique that shows promise for
making perceptual processes run in real time.

2. There is nothing in the NN work that is fundamentally new except
as a fast implementation.  Their ability to learn incrementally from
a series of samples nice but not new.  The way they learn and make
decisions is decades old and first arose in communication theory,
then was further developed in statistical pattern recognition.

3. The claims that NNs are fundamentally new are founded on ignorance
of statistical pattern recognition or on simplistic views of the
nature of statistical pattern recognition.  I have heard supposedly
competent people working in NNs claim that statistical pattern
recognition is based on assumptions of Gaussian distributions which
are not required in NNs, therefore NNs are fundamentally different.
This is ridiculous.  Statistical pattern recognition is not bound to
Gaussians, and NNs do, most assuredly, incorporate distributional
assumptions in their decision criteria.

4. A more cynical view that I do not fully embrace says that the main
function of "Neural Networks" is as a label for money.  It is a flag
you wave to attract money dispensed by people who are interested in
the engineering of real-time perceptual processing and who are
ignorant of statistical pattern recognition and therefore the lack of
substance of the neural net field.

5. Neural nets raise lots of engineering questions but little science.
Much of the excitement they have raised is based on uncritical
acceptance of "neat" demos and ignorance. As such, the area resembles
a religion more than a science.

6. The "popularity" of neural net research is a consequence of the
miserable mathematical backgrounds of computer science students (and
some professors!).  You don't need to know any math to be a hacker, but
you have to know math and statistics to work in statistical pattern
recognition.  Thus, generations of computer science students are
susceptible to hoodwinking by neat demos based on simple mathematical
and statistical techniques that incorporate some engineering hacks
that can be tweaked forever.  They'll think they are accomplishing
something by their endless tweaking because they don't know enough
math and statistics to tell what's really going on.

Dr. James M. Coggins          coggins@cs.unc.edu
Computer Science Department   A neuromorphic minimum distance classifier!
UNC-Chapel Hill               Big freaking hairy deal.
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3175                -Garfield the Cat
and NASA Center of Excellence in Space Data and Information Science

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (08/14/89)

From article <9143@thorin.cs.unc.edu>, by coggins@coggins.cs.unc.edu (Dr. James Coggins):

>5. Neural nets raise lots of engineering questions but little science.

Judging from popular accounts, and as an outsider to the field, this is
the impression I get -- that NNs are an attempt to do technology without
science.  I have seen what I take to be kindred approaches in my own
field, linguistics.  The idea seems to be that one can escape the
necessity to achieve an understanding of human perception and leave that
to a machine (or algorithm, rather).  Since scientific understanding
(new and old) is so difficult to come by, it's a very seductive idea.
But not a reasonable one.
				Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

In article <4559@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:
>From article <9143@thorin.cs.unc.edu>, by coggins@coggins.cs.unc.edu (Dr. James Coggins):
>
>>5. Neural nets raise lots of engineering questions but little science.

Eh?  Science has been the forming of models and the fitting of them to
observed phenomena.  In the case of artificial neural systems, the
models are physical entities (neuromimes, simulations of neuromimes,
simulations of behavioral models of neuromimes and of elements composed
of neuromimes, etc.) rather than tautologies (laws, theorems, etc.),
and the fit is a behavioral one, as is every theory, until a new,
deeper observation is made of the behavior, or until we are prepared
to discard degenerative assumptions that limit our study of currently
observed behavior.

>The idea seems to be that one can escape the
>necessity to achieve an understanding of human perception and leave that
>to a machine (or algorithm, rather).  Since scientific understanding
>(new and old) is so difficult to come by, it's a very seductive idea.
>But not a reasonable one.

I seem to remember having this same conversation before...anyway:

Doing neural nets this way is akin to allowing probability to be
a mathematical field, and to statistical mechanics
and quantum theory.

The understanding has, and consciously so, been behind the techniques in
those areas since the techniques were first found to be superior to the
understanding in predictive power.

				--Blair
				  "It's quite reasonable.
				   It's quite reasonable to assume
				   that my thesis won't be half this
				   erudite."

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (08/15/89)

> 6. The "popularity" of neural net research is a consequence of the
> miserable mathematical backgrounds of computer science students (and
> some professors!).  You don't need to know any math to be a hacker, but
> you have to know math and statistics to work in statistical pattern
> recognition.  Thus, generations of computer science students are
> susceptible to hoodwinking by neat demos based on simple mathematical
> and statistical techniques that incorporate some engineering hacks
> that can be tweaked forever.  They'll think they are accomplishing
> something by their endless tweaking because they don't know enough
> math and statistics to tell what's really going on.

A sweeping generalization.  Computer scientists aren't the only ones
working on neural networks and not all computer scientists are
"student hackers."  I wish people would stop confusing "programming"
activities with thinking and research activities.  They are distinctly
different.  One is engineering and the other is not.  There are
computer scientists who approach problems as theoreticians and there
are computer scientists who approach problems with ad hoc solutions in
mind.

However...... (time to get up on my soapbox oh boy!)....

In my opinion we don't have a deep macroscopic understanding of what
neural nets are capable of doing or are doing even in the simplest
networks.  Researchers are spending a lot of time and effort focusing
on the optimization of small techniques (e.g. backpropigation) and too
little time on developing formalisms for describing and understanding
NNs as a whole.

A deep understanding of any complex paradigm will be reached only
through the efforts of many researchers, tackling the problem from
different viewpoints (like multiple sculptors chipping away at a
block of marble to reveal the statue hidden inside).  It's fairly
useless for all of these metaphorical artists to chip away at a big
toe all at once, yet they must also posses the same overall goal and
understanding of the problem, otherwise the final piece will
not be consistant and balanced.

Well you get the idea.