[comp.ai.neural-nets] Neural Nets for PCs?

REZAC@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (08/08/89)

Is anyone aware of simple nural net source code which could be used as an
introduction to the field.  I'm looking for something that teachs basic
concepts, can be built upon, and can be ported to ( or runs in) an MS-DOS
environment.  C, Prolog, Pascal, SmallTalk, or C++ source is preferred.

Let me know of any resources that might be available via ftp or on BBSs
and I'll post in a week or, if I don't have more than two responses in a week,
when I have more that three responses.  Thanks.

When e-mailing use one of the two addresses below; I have more, but I don't
know what they are.

Disclaimer: It's mine, but if you want it you can have it.
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
CHARLES REZAC   *   bitnet: REZAC@UKANVAX   internet: rezac@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

heirich@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Alan Heirich) (08/09/89)

In article <8024@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> REZAC@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Is anyone aware of simple nural net source code which could be used as an
>introduction to the field.  I'm looking for something that teachs basic
>concepts, can be built upon, and can be ported to ( or runs in) an MS-DOS
>environment.  C, Prolog, Pascal, SmallTalk, or C++ source is preferred.

Try volume three of "Parallel Distributed Processing" by Rumelhart &
McClelland (MIT Press).  It consists of C source code and sample programs
for various neural net learning algorithms and is intended for educational
use.  It comes with a disk for IBM PC compatibles.

-------------------------
Alan Heirich     Comp. Sci. & Eng., Cognitive Science
C-014 University of California, San Diego 92093

heirich@cs.ucsd.edu
aheirich@ucsd.bitnet

REZAC@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (08/17/89)

The following are responses to my request for implementations of simple PC
based neural networks.  Thanks to everyone who responded and I hope this
information is as beneficial for everyone who reads this as it was for me.

*I would suggest the  following handbook which comes with C-source code that run on MS-C for the
*PC.  It is the workbook that goes with the PDP Vol. 1 book which is the standard in the field.
*The workbook goes through the code and is an excellent intro to NN.
*Good Luck.  I have also included the reference for the PDP Vol 1.

%A J.L. McClelland
%A D.E. Rumelhart
%T Explorations in Parallel Distributed Processing
%o A Handbook of Models, Programs, and Exercises
%I |MIT|
%D 1988
%K PDP, computer programs
%X Interactive Activation \& Competition 11

%A D. E. Rumelhart
%A J. L. McClelland
%A and the PDP\ Research\ Group
%T Parallel Distributed Processing
%o Vol. 1: Foundations
%I |MIT|
%D 1986
%K PDP-V1, NN, PDP, Parallel Processing, Widrow Hoff, Hebb
%X Key Reference book for Parallel Processing and NN

Another person responded . . . .

*How simple are you looking for and what are you planning
*to use them for?????  I have several programs, which were
*originally done in fortran, and I recoded into c that I got
*in a neural nets course I took last spring.  They include
*a Hopfield net, an unsupervised net, a preceptron and a one
*hidden layer feedforward net.  If you are interested let me
*know and I will check with my Prof. to make sure its ok to
*give them out.

Rather than have his mailer be swamped by requests for the code, I'll
wait til I hear whether Ken can distribute it or not.  If he can I'll
see if it can be made available via ftp.

*I don't know if these will all fit your criteria, but I have found these
*sources:

*Dr. Dobb's Journal, Jan. 1989 had 2 articles about NN's.  Source code was
*in C.  I got a copy from a local BBS, but they (Dr. Dobb's Journal) are
*supposed to have code available on Compuserve, and also on a dial-up service
*at 603-882-1599.  I haven't used their dial-up service, but this is what it
*says in the mag.  Supports 300/1200/2400 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1
*stop bit.  When it answers, respond with 'listings' to the login prompt.
*It is supposed to have listings back through the beginning of the year.
*This code compiles/runs with Turbo C.

These comprise a fair introduction, source can also be found in
pd1:<msdos.ddjmag> on simtel20.arpa

*Another source I found is AI Expert magazine's BBS.  I have downloaded the
*source from the June 1988 issue.  It is code for a backprop NN in C.  It
*was written to run on the MacIntosh, but I had little trouble converting it
*to Turbo C.  There are a number of BBS's that have code listings from AI
*Expert mag.  See any issue of AI Expert (or Computer Language - the BBS's
*have code for both mags.).  They (AI Expert) have had a series of articles
*called 'Neural Networks Primer' so they may have code for other NN's.

Code for this magazine can also be found on simtel in pd1:<msdos.aijournal>

*Byte had an article on backprop in the Oct 1987 issue.  The last time I logged
*on to Byte's listing service, they didn't have listings going back that far
*so I don't know if it is available.  Maybe it is still available on BIX, for
*those that subscribe to it.

*A recent issue (June/July 1989, I think) of Circuit Cellar, INK had some
*articles about NN's.  I downloaded FORTRAN code for backprop from their BBS.
*It is at (203) 871-1988, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit.  I haven't
*tried to compile or run it yet.

*One more thing I just remembered, some time in the last several months,
*some Xlisp code was posted in comp.sources.amiga.  I tried it with Xlisp on
*the PC and it seemed to run okay.  I have thought about trying to convert it
*to C++, but haven't found the time yet.

From: heirich@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Alan Heirich)

*Try volume three of "Parallel Distributed Processing" by Rumelhart &
*McClelland (MIT Press).  It consists of C source code and sample programs
*for various neural net learning algorithms and is intended for educational
*use.  It comes with a disk for IBM PC compatibles.

One final reference which I ran across in the bookstore last night -

Computer Simulation in Brain Science - Cambridge University Press - $65.00

I looked through it and it appears to cover most of the topics I'm interested
in, though I haven't purchased the book yet.  If anyone has read the book and
wants to comment, please do.