>From: patil@a.cs.okstate.edu (Patil Rajendra Bha)
Subject: Re: Schools for AI&Neural-nets
Date: 11 Aug 89 04:32:47 GMT

	The information about the schools is given in one of the neural network
society journal of 1988 some of them are
The university of Tennessee , Center for neural engineering
Boston University, Center for adaptive systems
Brown university, Rhode Island
John Hopkins university
CALTECH
Carnegie Mellon, Psychology Dept,
MIT

There are many others,
	last month I posted the same message, I got the same reply what you got,
Then I looked into the research center directory and now awating the replies from the universities.

	I am a graduate student in computer science and willing to go for Ph.D in neural networks. I would appreciate if you could mail the list of universitiesto me. I will let you know about the replies that I will receive.

Thank you

Patil Rajendra
patil@a.cs.okstate.edu

Date: Tue, 8 Aug 89 16:54:23 PDT
From: ash@cs.UCSD.EDU (Tim Ash)

The top Neural Net graduate programs are at the following schools:

U.C. San Diego
U.S.C.
C.M.U.
Stanford U.
Boston U.

Some others to consider (not as good as the above):

U.C. Boulder
C.I.T.
University of Toronto
Northeastern U.

All of the above schools have people who are active and well known in
the field.  U.C. San Diego is acknowledged to be the strongest school
in the field (both in terms of numbers of people, and the variety of
academic departments involved in the work).  Many of the top
researchers at other universities passed through U.C.S.D. at one point
or another.  Good luck in your friend's search.  If you need specific
information about U.C.S.D., send me e-mail.

Tim Ash (CSE Dept. U.C.S.D.)
ash@ucsd.edu

From: gary@cs.ucsd.edu (Gary Cottrell)

How about: University of California San Diego:

Researchers in PDP, AI and related fields include:

(active research, not department, in parens)

	Henry Abarbanel (Dynamical systems)
	Elizabeth Bates (Brain and Language)
	Rik Belew (Genetic Algs, PDP and AI)
	Shankar Chatterjee (Vision and simulated annealing)
	Patricia Churchland (Philosophy of Computational Neuroscience))
	Gary Cottrell (PDP)
	Francis Crick (Neuroscience)
	Jeff Elman (PDP, NLP and GA)
	Clark Guest (Optical neurocomputing)
	Paul Kube (Vision)
	Marta Kutas (NLP and Neuroscience)
	David Kirsh (AI)
	Helen Neville (Brain and Language)
	Mohan Paturi (Learning theory)
	Ramachandran (Human Vision)
	Walt Savitch (NLP)
	Terry Sejnowski (PDP and Computational Neuroscience)
	Marty Sereno (PDP and Neuroscience)
	Hal White (PDP and theory)
	David Zipser (PDP and Computational Neuroscience)

gary cottrell	619-534-6640
Computer Science and Engineering C-014
UCSD,
La Jolla, Ca. 92093
gary%cs@ucsd.edu (ARPA)
{ucbvax,decvax,akgua,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!gary (USENET)
gcottrell@ucsd.edu (BITNET)

Hope it helps all souls searching for way into neural-nets/AI !

-Badri                      ( ramamurb@turing.cs.rpi.edu )