[comp.ai.neural-nets] Looking for the Rochester Neural Net simulator...

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (09/07/89)

From MAILER-DAEMON@AEROSPACE.AERO.ORG Wed Sep  6 20:15:18 1989
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 89 17:14:32 -0700
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@AEROSPACE.AERO.ORG>
Subject: Returned mail: User unknown
Posted-Date: Wed, 6 Sep 89 17:14:32 -0700
To: jtn@potomac.ads.com

While talking to potomac.ads.com:
<<< 550 <plonski@potomac.ads.com>... User unknown
550 <plonski@potomac.ads.com>... User unknown

Date: Wed, 6 Sep 89 08:44:40 EST
From: John T. Nelson <jtn@potomac.ads.com>
To: plonski@primrose.aero.org
Subject: Re: Any Comments on Commerical Simulators
News-Path: sundc!newstop!sun-barr!cs.utexas.edu!usc!aero!primrose.Aero.Org!plonski

Does anyone know where I can find source code to the Rochester Neural
Network simulator?  We're interested in experiementing with neural
networks and GA simulators.

Your opinions and any pointers are appreciated.

plonski@primrose.Aero.Org (Mike Plonski) (09/09/89)

I am including the message I was sent when I subscribed to the
simulator-users mailing group.  The only significant change
that I know of is that there is now an X-windows version of the
graphical interface available from the same source.  I don't
remember the specific files to get, but it was fairly obvious
once you ftp over.  I have gotten one of the X-windows versions
to work, but not the other.  The forwarded message contains all the
necessary information to obtain RCS.

.   . .__.                             The opinions expressed herin are soley
|\./| !__!       Michael Plonski       those of the author and do not represent

Date: Fri, 7 Apr 89 12:32:09 EDT
From: bukys@cs.rochester.edu
To: C1015002%EMDUPM11@vm.cc.rochester.edu,
        C1015003%EMDUPM11@vm.cc.rochester.edu, ajjanaga@eniac.seas.upenn.edu,
        cchen@descartes.caltech.edu, chiang@m2c.m2c.org,
        laba-4he%WEB.Berkeley.EDU@lilac.berkeley.edu, plonski@aero.org,
        pwilliams#ail.uucp@uunet.uu.net, raja@pixel.cps.msu.edu,
        ray@atc.Boeing.com, rlgvax!golds@uunet.UU.NET,
        rosenau@itd.nrl.navy.mil, unido!uniwue!ruland@uunet.UU.NET
this list you will find the other users of the Rochester Connectionist
Simulator.

Please forgive my tardiness in adding you to the mailing list.
If it's any consolation, there has been little traffic on the list.

If you have any ADMINISTRATIVE requests, such as mailing list additions
or deletions, please send them to
	<simulator-request@cs.rochester.edu>

Please send BUG REPORTS to
	<simulator-bugs@cs.rochester.edu>
We are interested in fixing bugs, but can't make any promises!
Please make your bug reports as specific as possible.

The Rochester Connectionist Simulator, version 4.1, is available by
anonymous FTP from CS.Rochester.Edu, in the directory public/rcs.
Version 4.1 was released on April 5, 1988, and can be found in the file
"rcs_v4.1.tar.Z".  It is a compressed tar file, size 837215 bytes.
When uncompressed, it should be size 3092480 bytes, and running the
Unix "sum" program on it should yield "62514 3020".

This is too big to mail electronically, so please don't ask.

REMEMBER TO USE THE "TYPE TENEX" or "TYPE BINARY" COMMAND IN FTP WHEN
RETRIEVING COMPRESSED TAR FILES!!!

Official bug reports also reside in this directory:

	rcs_v4.1.patch.01	fixes a SERIOUS problem in the logging feature.
	rcs_v4.1.patch.02	fixes some minor syntactic problems in the doc.
	rcs_v4.1.patch.03	a missing "return" makes commands noops on SUN4

The patches can be applied by hand if necessary, but you will make your
life easier if you obtain the widely-available "patch" program, and redirect
each patch file into "patch -p".

Other files of interest:

	rcs_v4.1.note.01        the doc's missing "urcsmanual" TeX files.

	rcs_v4.1.doc.tar.Z      the manual, in postscript format, ready to print

If you are unable to obtain anonymous FTP access to the simulator
distribution, you can still order a copy the old way.  Contact
	Peg Meeker
	Computer Science Department
	University of Rochester
	Rochester, NY  14627
	(USA)
or <connect@cs.rochester.edu>, and she will send you the approriate forms.
We are currently charging $150 for a distribution tape and a manual.

If you have TeX and a PostScript printer, you should be able to produce
your own copy of the 181-page manual.  If you want a paper copy of the
manual anyway, send a check for $10 per manual (payable to the
University of Rochester) to Peg Meeker Peet at the above address.

We do not have the facilities for generating invoices, so payment is
required with any order.

goddard@aic.dpl.scg.hac.com (Nigel Goddard (213)317-5674) (09/09/89)

In article <8039@potomac.ads.com> jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) writes:

>Does anyone know where I can find source code to the Rochester Neural
>Network simulator? ...

Anonymous ftp from cs.rochester.edu.  cd to /public/rcs and retrieve
file README.  Or send mail to connect@cs.rochester.edu

Nigel Goddard

goddard@aic.dpl.scg.hac.com (Nigel Goddard (213)317-5674) (09/10/89)

In article <57482@aerospace.AERO.ORG> plonski@primrose.Aero.Org (Mike Plonski) writes:

>I am including the message I was sent when I subscribed to the
>simulator-users mailing group.  The only significant change
>that I know of is that there is now an X-windows version of the
>graphical interface available from the same source.  I don't
>remember the specific files to get, but it was fairly obvious
>once you ftp over.  I have gotten one of the X-windows versions
>to work, but not the other.  The forwarded message contains all the
>necessary information to obtain RCS.

Oh well, the cat is out of the bag.  The X interface that you will
find in the ftp directories is an inferior development version.  If
you want to play with it, the files are xgi_X11r3.tar.z and
xgi_popups.tar.Z.  Don't bother with xgi.tar.Z, it won't work.  The
beta release is about to go out to selected sites.  I advise waiting
for the full release of 4.2.  At that time dynamic code-loading under
SunOS 4.0 will also be fixed (thanks to the GNU project).

Nigel Goddard