[comp.ai.neural-nets] Representational NN

hughc@spinifex.eecs.unsw.oz (Hugh Clapin) (10/05/89)

I'm presently getting my act together for my honours thesis (in philosophy),
and want to explore the comparisons between representation in NNs and in
traditional symbol systems. Also of interest is a comparsion between how
NNs use the knowledge they represent and how a Von Neumann computer uses
the knowledge it represents (at the binary level where the work is actually
done). I recognise that this is a pretty wide and unspecified area to waffle
about, but if anyone can point me to discussions which might have something
to do with representation, and particularly comparing NNs and Von Neumann
architectures, I'd appreciate it.

I'll post a summary if I get enough responses

thanks,
Hugh Clapin

knareddy@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (krishna nareddy) (10/07/89)

> I'm presently getting my act together for my honours thesis (in philosophy),
> and want to explore the comparisons between representation in NNs and in
> traditional symbol systems. Also of interest is a comparsion between how
>
> thanks,
> Hugh Clapin

Here is a tech. report that may address an aspect of your question.

"Connectionism and Information Processing Processing Abstractions",
B.Chandrasekharan, A.Goel, and D.Allemang, 88-BC-CONPROAB, published by the Ohio
State Univ., Lab for AI.
Address is :

Computer and Info. science,
Research center,
2036 Neil Avenue Mall,
Columbus, Ohio 43210-1277
(614)292-5813

Thank you,
krishna,
Univ. of Minnesota - Duluth

PS : Unable to e-mail to your address. Hence I posted response here.

zador-anthony@CS.YALE.EDU (anthony zador) (10/07/89)

In article <485@spinifex.eecs.unsw.oz> hughc@spinifex.eecs.unsw.oz (Hugh Clapin) writes:
>I'm presently getting my act together for my honours thesis (in philosophy),
>and want to explore the comparisons between representation in NNs and in
>traditional symbol systems. Also of interest is a comparsion between how
>NNs use the knowledge they represent and how a Von Neumann computer uses

Mail bounced. Here is one reference:

Connections and Symbols, ed. S. Pinker ~1988

It has articles by Fodor & Pylyshyn, Pinker, and several others condemning
NNs in favor of symbol processing. It is one of the best thought out critical accts. It also has
many very good references.

(If the title is a little off and you cant find it, I can dig up the
full reference).

Tony Zador

bill@wayback.unm.edu (william horne) (10/07/89)

In article <1678@cs.yale.edu> zador-anthony@CS.YALE.EDU (anthony zador) writes:
>In article <485@spinifex.eecs.unsw.oz> hughc@spinifex.eecs.unsw.oz (Hugh Clapin) writes:
>>I'm presently getting my act together for my honours thesis (in philosophy),
>>and want to explore the comparisons between representation in NNs and in
>>traditional symbol systems. Also of interest is a comparsion between how
>>NNs use the knowledge they represent and how a Von Neumann computer uses
>
>Connections and Symbols, ed. S. Pinker ~1988

These are generally critical articles of the NN approach.  The best
pro- article I saw was in Brain and Behavioral Sciences 1988 by
Paul Smolensky, called "On the Proper Treatment of Connectionism", 11, 1-74.
BBS is an "Open Peer" journal.  For this particular article there
were at least thirty responses.  This is a very good article, although it
is pretty difficult to get through (its long, and packed with information).

Basically, Smolensky is trying to characterize connectionist models as
using "subsymbolic" representations, which are quite different from
symbolic representations in traditional symbol systems.  These subsymbols
somehow describe micro-features of cognition as opposed to macro-features.
In essence, it is a reductionist approach.  One of the issues he brings
up (actually in his response to the peer responses) is the classification
of various approaches to cognition researchers have takens with
connectionist systems:  Eliminativist, Limitivist, Revisionist, or
Implementationalist.  Which are basically opinions as to whether
connectionism is just as doomed as traditional AI, something completely
new and different, or just the same old concepts in a different
architecture.  I think that there are new concepts being offered that
are unique to connectionism, and that the consequences (if connectionism
is successful) is that we would see a paradigm shift away from logic
towards pattern recognition as the dominant mechanism of cognition.
What do people out there think?

-bill

dg1v+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Greene) (10/07/89)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.ai.neural-nets: 6-Oct-89 Re: Representational
> NN william horne@wayback.un (2038)

>  I think that there are new concepts being offered that
> are unique to connectionism, and that the consequences (if connectionism
> is successful) is that we would see a paradigm shift away from logic
> towards pattern recognition as the dominant mechanism of cognition.
What do people out there think?

I'm curious as to what the necessity of a "dominant mechanism" is...
From the cog. psych literature, there seems to be favorable evidence of
a "dual process" approach in cognition (such as by Posner or Kellog).
This approach suggests that there are two levels, one being our
conscious effort represented by "hypothesis testing"  and the other
being a sub-conscious process of "frequency sampling".  Hypothesis
testing fits into the frame of symbolic and logic processing while
frequency sampling is associated with pattern-recognition approaches.
Each area has its positive and negative qualities, but both perform
essential functions in the human learning process.

Why the frequent debate as to which is the "true path"?  Although for a
particular focus one might be provably superior, neither seems dominant,
much less definitive.  In fact, it would suggest that both approaches
need to interact to form an effective "artificial intelligence".  That
interaction in the brain itself seems to be a ripe area of research.

-David

 David Perry Greene        ||    ARPA:          dg1v@andrew.cmu.edu
 GSIA /Robotics            ||                   dpg@isl1.ri.cmu.edu
 Carnegie Mellon Univ.     ||    BITNET:  dg1v%andrew@vb.cc.cmu.edu
 Pittsburgh, PA 15213      ||    UUCP: !harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!dg1v
"You're welcome to use my opinions, just don't get them all wrinkled."