[comp.ai.neural-nets] Parallelism, Real vs. Simulated: A Query

srh@wind.bellcore.com (stevan r harnad) (10/06/89)

I have a simple question: What capabilities of PDP systems do and
do not depend on the net's actually being implemented in parallel,
rather than just being serially simulated? Is it only speed and
capacity parameters, or something more?

Stevan Harnad
Psychology Department
Princeton University
harnad@confidence.princeton.edu

Stevan Harnad  INTERNET:  harnad@confidence.princeton.edu   harnad@princeton.edu
srh@flash.bellcore.com      harnad@elbereth.rutgers.edu    harnad@princeton.uucp
CSNET:    harnad%confidence.princeton.edu@relay.cs.net
BITNET:   harnad1@umass.bitnet      harnad@pucc.bitnet            (609)-921-7771

bill@boulder.Colorado.EDU (10/06/89)

>I have a simple question: What capabilities of PDP systems do and
>do not depend on the net's actually being implemented in parallel,
>rather than just being serially simulated? Is it only speed and
>capacity parameters, or something more?
>
>Stevan Harnad     (harnad@confidence.princeton.edu)

     A little too simple, maybe, because it isn't quite clear what
it means.  Let me rephrase it, and you can say whether this is
something like what you meant:

     "We have here a black box, with a PDP device inside it and
some user-interface stuff on the surface.  Is it necessarily
true, ignoring considerations of time and space, that the
PDP device is replaceable by a serial device which from the
user's viewpoint will behave identically?"

     If this is the question, then I think the answer is yes.
Since the PDP device is a physical object, it is governed by a set
of differential equations, and those equations can be solved to any
desired accuracy by a serial device.  (It may take a long time to solve
them, though.)  If the PDP system is chaotic (in the mathematical sense),
then no simulation will ever be able to _duplicate_ its behavior, but
the simulation will still be able to imitate it in the sense of being
equally unpredictable by the user.

andrew@dtg.nsc.com (Lord Snooty @ The Giant Poisoned Electric Head ) (10/10/89)

In article <12449@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, bill@boulder.Colorado.EDU writes:
> >I have a simple question: What capabilities of PDP systems do and
> >do not depend on the net's actually being implemented in parallel,
> >rather than just being serially simulated? Is it only speed and
> >capacity parameters, or something more?
> >Stevan Harnad     (harnad@confidence.princeton.edu)

> Since the PDP device is a physical object, it is governed by a set
> of differential equations, and those equations can be solved to any
> desired accuracy by a serial device.  (It may take a long time to solve
> them, though.)  If the PDP system is chaotic (in the mathematical sense),
> then no simulation will ever be able to _duplicate_ its behavior, but
> the simulation will still be able to imitate it in the sense of being
> equally unpredictable by the user.

I'd like to add a caveat to this view: the issue of exact implementation
is being glossed over. In a "real" BP NN, weight updates and weighted
activation arrival times may be purely asynchronous. The "batch update"
versus "per input" update paradigms also give room for difference.
Although both methods are in principle simulatable in a serial fashion,
I'm not quarrelling with bill's response. However, if the asynchronous
case is driven differently by the simulator's random number generator
w.r.t. the  "real" NN, and local minima and/or instability problems exist,
the performances will not match up.
Andrew Palfreyman		and the 'q' is silent,
andrew@dtg.nsc.com		as in banana			 time sucks

russell@minster.york.ac.uk (10/13/89)

In article <17820@bellcore.bellcore.com> srh@wind.UUCP (Stevan Harnad) writes:

>I have a simple question: What capabilities of PDP systems do and
>do not depend on the net's actually being implemented in parallel,
>rather than just being serially simulated? Is it only speed and
>capacity parameters, or something more?
>
>Stevan Harnad
>harnad@confidence.princeton.edu

I think this is an interesting point, but the simple answer is that there
is nothing more to be gained from a parallel implementation over a serial
simulation (except speed and possibly capacity - but even that depends on
the parallel architecture vs. the serial machine).

The reason:

The only thing that can happen in a parallel system that can't be mimiced
on a serial one is the occurance of simultaneous events - but is this a
problem?  If we consider time at a sufficiently fine granularity, then we
can guarantee that any node/unit in the net will only have had one operation
performed on it - there may be many nodes that actually encounter a simultaneous
update or operation, but there will still have been only one per node.  If our
simulation on a sequential machine operates at this level of granularity, and
completes all the required updates to each affected node before advancing the
`clock' by one time increment, then the sequential machine will be functionally
identical to the parallel implementation.

The only problems occur when the simulation is run at insufficiently fine granularity,
or when limiting assumptions about the number of simultaneous events are broken.

Russell.

 Russell Beale, Advanced Computer Architecture Group,
 Dept. of Computer Science, University of York, Heslington,
 YORK. YO1 5DD.  UK.               Tel: [044] (0904) 432762

 russell@uk.ac.york.minster		JANET connexions
 russell%york.minster@cs.ucl.ac.uk	ARPA connexions
 ..!mcvax!ukc!minster!russell		UUCP connexions
 russell@minster.york.ac.uk		eab mail