[comp.ai.neural-nets] Neuron Digest V5 #41

neuron-request@HPLABS.HP.COM ("Neuron-Digest Moderator Peter Marvit") (10/29/89)

Neuron Digest   Saturday, 28 Oct 1989
                Volume 5 : Issue 41

Today's Topics:
                               Administrivia
     Re-Announcing a Mailing List for Cybernetics and Systems Science
      CALL FOR PAPERS Mathematical Programming and Expert Systems...
            1990 Machine Learning Conference -- Call for Papers
                      Re: Artificial Life conference
                      cognitive science lectureships
                Call for Papers Neural Network Applications
                        IEA/AIE-90 Call for Papers
                          Talk by Walter Freeman

Send submissions, questions, address maintenance and requests for old issues to
"neuron-request@hplabs.hp.com" or "{any backbone,uunet}!hplabs!neuron-request"
Use "ftp" to get old issues from hplpm.hpl.hp.com (15.255.176.205).

Subject: Administrivia
From:    "Neuron-Digest Moderator -- Peter Marvit" <neuron@hplabs.hp.com>
Date:    Sat, 28 Oct 89 19:00:17 -0700

Dear Readers,

You may have noticed the Digest has been silent for a little while.  I got
myself caught in a school crunch, then the earthquake.  While my
surroundings are undamaged, I've just lost time.  I will attempt once again
to get through the considerable backlog for Neuron Digest; the USENET group
comp.ai.neural-nets has been particularly active and I'm culling through
for collected submissions.

Meanwhile, I'm grouping announcement, call for papers, positions offered,
etc.  As I try to do, I segregate "discussion" from these announcements.  Due
to the time sensitive nature of some of these, the next few Digests will
contain only these announcements.

Thank you for you patience.

        -Peter Marvit
         Neuron Digest Immoderator

RE-ANNOUNCING THE MAILING LIST FOR SYSTEMS AND CYBERNETICS

This posting is going to a number of groups that have a common interest
with Systems Science and Cybernetics.

The mailing list was announced a number of months ago.  With the close of
summer I'm trying to re-invite people to join and post.

Perhaps you were a subscriber before and dropped out.  You should know
that the list is now MODERATED.  No more junk message or wasted time!

Perhaps you will think this is junk news, and you will be offended.
Perhaps not.

Also, the newsgroup alt.cyb-sys is available right now, hopefully on your
site.  Anyone interested, please post or contact me.  If there is
sufficient interest, we could create a sci.cyb-sys or somesuch.

The original announcement follows.

O----------------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Moderator Address: cybsys@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, Binghamton New York

In the late 1940's the fields of General Systems Theory and Cybernetics
emerged out of a series of intense, interdisciplinary conferences on
"circular causal and feedback mechanisms" which drew on anthropology,
philosophy, biology, neurology, psychology, and electrical engineering.
Although Systems Scientists and Cyberneticians tend to emphasize different
aspects of their studies, what they share is a commitment to a general
understanding of the evolution of complex, multi-level systems like
organisms, minds, and societies as informational entities containing
possibly circular processes which are irreducible to their constituents.

Today a number of exciting fields, like Complex Systems Theory,
Self-Organizing Systems Theory, Dynamic Systems Theory, some branches of
Artificial Intelligence, Network Theory, fractal geometry, Fuzzy Set
Theory, Recursive Theory, computer simulation, and Information Theory share
the philosophical and methodological committments of Systems and
Cybernetics.  Further, the direct influence of the fields has been felt in
areas as diverse as immunology, ecology, economics, political science,
computer theory and information systems, family therapy, management theory,
education and ethics.

The purposes of the mailing list and file server include: 1) facilitating
discussion among those working in or just interested in the general fields
of Systems and Cybernetics; 2) providing a means of communicating to the
general research community about the work that Systems Scientists and
Cyberneticians do; 3) housing a repository of electronic files for general
distribution concerning Systems and Cybernetics; and 4) providing a
central, public directory of working Systems Scientists and Cyberneticians.

The list is coordinated by members of the Systems Science department of the
Watson School at SUNY-Binghamton, and is affiliated with the International
Society for the Systems Sciences (ISSS) and the American Society for
Cybernetics (ASC).  We invite all to join the discussion.

To subscribe, send a file containing only the line:

        'SUB CYBSYS-L Your Full Name'

to the list server at LISTSERV@BINGVMB.BITNET.

Once subscribed, please post a message to the list itself at
CYBSYS-L@BINGVMB.BITNET.  In the message, please include your name,
affiliation, and a brief description of your work and/or interest in the

------------------------------

Subject: CALL FOR PAPERS Mathematical Programming and Expert Systems...
From:    E3T@PSUVM.BITNET
Date:    19 Sep 89 16:36:43 +0000

|                         CALL FOR PAPERS                           |
|        RECENT APPLICATIONS OF MATHEMATICAL PROGRAMMING TO         |
|                    EXPERT SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT                     |
|     A Section of the 8th INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF CYBERNETICS    |
|                          AND SYSTEMS                              |
|        Hunter College of the City University of New York          |
|                        New York, New York                         |
|                         June 11-15, 1990                          |

        This  session  will  host  work  that  demonstrates  the
    increasing potential  of combining  mathematical programming
    approaches  to  expert  systems  problems.    Both  original
    research  and  survey  papers  will  be  considered.    Some
    relevant topics include, but are not limited to:

        o  Machine Learning and Mathematical Programming
        o  Logic Problems and Mathematical  Programming
        o  Expert Systems and Operations Research
        o  AI and Operations Research

        This   triennial  conference   is   supported  by   many
    international groups concerned with management, the sciences,
    computers,   and information  systems.    The Congress  will
    provide a forum, symposia and sections, for the presentation
    and discussion  of current research.   All meetings  will be
    held in midtown Manhattan.

    Section Chairs:
       Allen L. Soyster, Professor and Head,
          Dept. of Industrial Engineering, Penn State University
       Evangelos Triantaphyllou, Ph.D. Candidate,
          Dept. of Industrial Engineering, Penn State University
    Program Chair:
       Constantin Negoita, Professor,
          Hunter College, CUNY, New York, NY.

    Papers  should  be approximately  2,000-4,000  words  in
    length.  Please send 4 hard copies (not e-mail) to:
|                     Evangelos Triantaphyllou                      |
|                     E-Mail: E3T@PSUVM.BITNET                      |
|               Department of Industrial Engineering                |
|                      Penn State University                        |
|                       207 Hammond Building                        |
|                  University Park, PA 16802, USA                   |
    Deadlines:  January 1, 1990:  Submission of paper.
                April 1, 1990:    Notification of disposition
    All items will be acknowledged

------------------------------

Subject: 1990 Machine Learning Conference -- Call for Papers
From:    ml90@cs.utexas.edu (B. Porter and R. Mooney)
Date:    21 Sep 89 18:49:44 +0000

                 SEVENTH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MACHINE
                          LEARNING: CALL FOR PAPERS

     The Seventh International Conference on Machine Learning   will  be
     held  at  the  University  of Texas in  Austin during June  21--23,
     1990.  Its goal is   to  bring  together   researchers   from   all
     areas   of  machine  learning.   The   conference    will   include
     presentations   of refereed papers,  invited  talks,   and   poster
     sessions.   The   deadline    for  submitting papers is February 1,
     1990.

                               REVIEW CRITERIA

     In order  to ensure  high   quality papers, each   submission  will
     be  reviewed   by   two  members    of   the  program committee and
     judged  on clarity,  significance,    and  originality.   All  sub-
     missions  should contain new work, new results, or major extensions
     to prior work.   If the  paper  describes  a  running   system,  it
     should explain that system's representation of  inputs and outputs,
     its performance component, its learning  methods,  and  its evalua-
     tion.    In    addition to  reporting advances in current areas  of
     machine learning, authors  are  encouraged  to  report  results  on
     exploring novel learning tasks.

                            SUBMISSION OF PAPERS

     Each  paper must  have a cover   page  with  the  title,   author's
     names,  primary   author's  address  and  telephone number,  and an
     abstract of about 200 words. The  cover  page   should  also   give
     three  keywords  that  describe  the research. Examples of keywords
     include:

     PROBLEM AREA             GENERAL APPROACH       EVALUATION CRITERIA

     Concept learning         Genetic algorithms     Empirical evaluation
     Learning and planning    Empirical methods      Theoretical analysis
     Language learning        Explanation-based      Psychological validity
     Learning and design      Connectionist
     Machine discovery        Analogical reasoning

     Papers are  limited  to 12 double-spaced  pages (including  figures
     and  references),  formatted  with   twelve  point font.    Authors
     will be notified of  acceptance  by  Friday,  March  23,  1990  and
     camera-ready copy is due by April 23, 1990.

     Send papers (3 copies) to:         For information, please contact:

     Machine Learning Conference        Bruce Porter or Raymond Mooney
     Department of Computer Sciences    ml90@cs.utexas.edu
     Taylor Hall 2.124                  (512) 471-7316
     University of Texas at Austin
     Austin, Texas 78712-1188

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Artificial Life conference
From:    hiebeler@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Dave Hiebeler)
Date:    21 Sep 89 19:38:24 +0000

In article <3108@puff.cs.wisc.edu> brianm@rt15.cs.wisc.edu (Brian Miller) writes:

> In article <2124@ektools.UUCP> andy@ektools.UUCP (Andy Assad) writes:
>
>Can anyone supply me with some details regarding registration for
>the next Artificial Life conference in Santa Fe?
>
>               What is Artificial Life?  I've never heard of this.

  A one-phrase summary of Artificial Life might be "an attempt to
synthesize and/or simulate living systems, primarily using 'bottom-up'
modeling techniques."  There are many different approaches, of course, but
that is kind of what's at the heart of most of it.

  There is a book called "Artificial Life", edited by Christopher Langton.
It was published by Addison-Wesley, 1989.  That should be enough info for
you to find the book easily (if you feel you need the ISBN number to locate
the book, send me a message and I can look it up; I don't have my copy of
the book with me at the moment).  It is the proceedings from a workshop
held at Los Alamos, NM in September 1987.  The book contains articles by
various people, on different approaches and perspectives toward ALife.

  Chris Langton posted the Alife-II announcement here about a month or so
ago, but since people seem to be asking about it so much, I'll re-post it.
Here it is:

                        ARTIFICIAL LIFE II

                 The Second Workshop on the Synthesis
                   and Simulation of Living Systems

                         February 5-9, 1990
                        Santa Fe, New Mexico

                         -- organized by --

                          J. Doyne Farmer
                        Christopher Langton
                          Steen Rasmussen
                            Chuck Taylor

   We are pleased to announce that the Center for Nonlinear Studies and the
Santa Fe Institute are sponsoring the second Artificial Life workshop,
which will be held in Santa Fe, New Mexico, during the week of February
5-9, 1990.

   Artificial Life is the study of man-made systems that exhibit behaviors
characteristic of natural living systems. It complements the traditional
biological sciences concerned with the analysis of living organisms by
attempting to synthesize life-like behaviors within computers or other
artificial media. By extending the empirical foundation upon which biology
is based beyond the carbon-chain life that has evolved on Earth, Artificial
Life can contribute to theoretical biology by locating life-as-we-know-it
within the larger context of life-as-it-could-be.

   The first workshop, held at Los Alamos in September of 1987, provided an
overview and served to bring into focus work in this field, identifying the
essential theoretical and practical problems that must be solved in order
to bring about artificial life.

   The second workshop will include a mixture of lectures, live
demonstrations, posters, panel discussions, and a contest for artificial
life forms. We hope to equal or surpass the free-flowing atmosphere and
excitement of the first workshop. Topics to be discussed include
self-organizing structures, collective phenomena, and emergent behavior;
the origin of life; natural, artificial, and cultural evolution;
extra-terrestrial life; computer viruses; and the social and philosophical
implications of artificial life.

   Only some of lectures will be by invited speakers. We have purposefully
left space for new contributions in order to ensure that there will be time
for the presentation of any exciting new developments in the field, from
sources that may be unknown to us now.

   Thus, we are soliciting your contribution.  If you have something that
you would like to present, please send us an abstract. You may request a
talk, a demonstration, a poster, or any creative alternative.  Live
demonstrations or videos will be considered favorably. Acceptance will be
an ongoing process -- we would prefer to make decisions as early as
possible, so that we can plan the schedule.  However, December 31, 1989
will be the final deadline for submissions.

   The registration fee will be in the neighborhood of \$100. There is
limited financial aid available to cover travel and subsistence for
participants who cannot obtain funds from other sources.  We will give
preference to graduate students, postdocs, or otherwise impoverished
individuals.

   As at the first meeting, one of the central events will be an artificial
``4-H'' show, with prizes for the ``liveliest'' artificial life forms.
With two years of progress, we expect some stiff competition. An emphasis
will be placed on emergent and self-organizing life-like behavior.  Note
that this year there will be no cash prizes; fame, glory and a shiny blue
ribbon will be the only rewards other than the thrill of creation itself.

   If you are planning a demonstration and need special hardware, software,
or wetware, please let us know.  We will do our best to accomodate all
requests, within reason.  We expect to provide SUN, APOLLO, and Silicon
Graphics workstations, IBM PC's, Macintosh's, facilities for large screen
video display of video tapes and live computer demos, as well as standard
audio-visual equipment.

   We intend to publish a proceedings following the workshop.  Anyone will
be allowed to submit a contribution.  Contributions will be refereed.  We
also plan to produce a video tape which will accompany the written volume.
The final deadline for submission of papers will be roughly three months
after the workshop.  Note that the proceedings of the first artificial life
workshop were edited by Chris Langton, and are available from
Addison-Wesley, ISBN-0-201-09356-1 (\$20, paperback) or 0-201-09346-4
(\$40, hardback).  For further information about purchasing copies call
800-447-2226.

   If you are interested in attending or contributing to the workshop, or
in just being on the mailing list, please fill out and return the enclosed
information and registration form as soon as possible.

   Housing will be in local Santa Fe hotels. Please contact Andi or Ginger
at the address below for a hotel reservation form.

   Questions about the workshop should be addressed to:

                          Andi Sutherland
                              - or -
                         Ginger Richardson

                         Santa Fe Institute
                          1120 Canyon Rd.
                         Santa Fe NM 87501

                          (505) 984-8800

                       ginger@sfi.santafe.edu

   There has been a great deal of active research in artificial life during
the last two years.  We hope that this meeting will demonstrate several
exciting steps toward true artificial life forms and an understanding of
the general principles underlying life and evolution.

                    We hope that you can attend.

- -------------------------(cut here and mail)--------------------------------

                        Pre-Registration Form
                   Second Artificial Life Workshop

                         February 5-9, 1990
                        Santa Fe, New Mexico

                          Co-sponsored by
                          ----------------
                       The Santa Fe Institute
                The Center for Nonlinear Studies, LANL

I. PARTICIPANT INFORMATION
- ---------------------------

   Name (last, first, middle):

   Institution/Affiliation:

   Full Mailing Adress:

   Telephone (work/home):

   Email address:

II. WORKSHOP PARTICIPATION
- ---------------------------

 Please check one of the following:

   -----  Yes, I want to attend and make a presentation.

          ( If you plan on presenting a talk, poster, or demonstration
            of some kind, please attach a separate note giving tentative
            title, an abstract, ot other description of your contribution
            and indicate your audio-visual or other hardware requirements. )

   -----  Yes, I want to attend the workshop, but I will not be making
               a presentation.

   -----  No, I will not be attending.

    PLEASE RETURN THIS FORM AS SOON AS POSSIBLE BUT NO LATER THAN
    DECEMBER 31, 1989, TO:

                          Andi Sutherland
                              - or -
                         Ginger Richardson

                         Santa Fe Institute
                          1120 Canyon Rd.
                         Santa Fe NM 87501

                           (505) 984-8800

                       ginger@sfi.santafe.edu

                        FAX: (505) 982-0565

- --
Dave Hiebeler                       hiebeler@turing.cs.rpi.edu
Computer Science Dept.              hiebeler@cardinal.lanl.gov
Amos Eaton Bldg.                       "xue zai shao"  -- Huang Ying Ying
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute / Troy, NY 12180-3590

------------------------------

Subject: cognitive science lectureships
From:    Janet Wiles <munnari!psych.psy.uq.oz.au!janet@uunet.UU.NET>
Date:    Wed, 27 Sep 89 20:09:51 +1000

                THE UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND
    Equal Opportunity in Employment is University Policy

                 COGNITIVE SCIENCE LECTURERS
                  (Tenurable or fixed term)

                Psychology - Computer Science
                  Psychology - Linguistics

The University of Queensland is planning a major expansion in research and
teaching in Cognitive Science and anticipates appointing two new lecturers
subject to availability of funding.  The lecturers will be expected to
conduct research in an area related to Cognitive Science and to teach
undergraduate and postgraduate subjects.  We prefer individuals with a
computational approach to psychological or linguistic issues such as
decision making, grammar, memory, problem solving, semantics, speech
perception, vision and other cognitive science areas.  One appointee will
probably be a neural network or connectionist modeller, the other can have
any computational approach.  One lectureship will be a joint appointment
between Psychology and Computer Science, the other will be either be in
Psychology or a joint appointment between Psychology and Linguistics
(English).

The University of Queensland is one of the major research universities in
Australia, and has strong research programs in many areas related to
Cognitive Science.  Substantial research facilities and support are
available.

Applicants should have a PhD in a relevant area and should have a record
of, or show promise of, conducting high quality research.

Salary:  $31,258-$40,621 per annum.  The appointments will either be
tenurable or fixed term.
Closing date:  October 31, 1989.  Ref. No:  43689.

Further information is available from Professor S. Schwartz on (07) 3772884
from within Australia or 61-7-3772884 from outside Australia, or from Dr
Michael Humphreys via email at mh@psych.psy.uq.oz.au.  Please forward an
original plus 7 copies of application and resume to the Director, Personnel
Services, The University of Queensland, St Lucia 4067, Qld, Australia.

------------------------------

Subject: Call for Papers Neural Network Applications
From:    LEO%AUTOCTRL.RUG.AC.BE@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Date:    Tue, 03 Oct 89 11:22:00 +0100

*****************+--------------------------------------+****************
*****************|Second BIRA seminar on Neural Networks|****************
*****************+--------------------------------------+****************

                           CALL FOR PAPERS

                          May 1990, Belgium

Last year, BIRA (Belgian Institute for Automatic Control) organised a first
seminar on Neural Networks. Some invited speakers (Prof. Fogelman Soulie,
Prof. Bart Kosko, Dr. D. Handelman and Dr. S. Miyake) gave an introduction
to the subject, and discussed some possible application fields. Because of
the great interest from the industry as well as from the research world, we
decided to organise a second edition on this subject.

The aim of the second seminar is to show some excisting applications and
possibilities of Neural Networks or Sub-Symbolic Systems with Neural
Network features. So, if you have a working application or nice prototype
of an industrial application based on Neural Networks, and you may and want
to talk about it, please send us an abstract. Of course, the seminar will
only be organised, if we receive enough interesting abstracts.

This seminar will be organised by BIRA, Unicom and the AI-section of the
Automatic Control Laboratory of the Ghent State University.

Time schedule
- -------------
01-01-1990 : Deadline for abstracts.
15-02-1990 : Confirmation of the speakers and the seminar
01-04-1990 : Deadline for full papers
..-05-1990 : Seminar

Organisation contact information
- --------------------------------
Rob Vingerhoeds       <ROB@BGERUG51.BITNET>
Leo Vercauteren       <LEO@BGERUG51.BITNET>
               State University of Ghent
               AI Section Automatic Control Laboratory
               Grote Steenweg Noord 2
               B-9710 GENT - Zwijnaarde
               Belgium
               Fax: +32 91/22 85 91
               Tel: +32 91/22 57 55

BIRA Coordinator: L. Pauwels
                  BIRA-secretariaat
                  Het Ingenieurshuis
                  Desguinlei 214
                  2018 Antwerpen
                  Belgium
telefax:          +32-3-216-06-89
                  (attn. BIRA L. Pauwels)

------------------------------

Subject: IEA/AIE-90 Call for Papers
From:    mgv@usceast.UUCP (Marco Valtorta)
Date:    03 Oct 89 21:23:27 +0000

Third International Conference on Industrial and Engineering Applications
          of Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems

                         CALL FOR PAPERS

               Charleston, South Carolina, U.S.A.

                        July 15-18, 1990

Aims and Scope:
==============

This conference continues its tradition of emphasizing applications
of artificial intelligence and expert/knowledge-based systems to
engineering and industrial problems.  Also of interest are
the AI technology and research supporting such applications.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
Pattern Recognition                     Knowledge Representation
Vision                                  Knowledge Acquisition
Sensor Fusion                           Machine Learning
Computer Aided Manufacturing            Natural Language Processing
Computer Aided Design                   Neural Networks
Robotics                                Intelligent Tutoring
Planning/Scheduling                     Reasoning under Uncertainty
Diagnostic Systems                      Distributed and Parallel Architectures
Intelligent Interfaces                  Qualitative Models
Intelligent Databases                   Blackboard Systems
Autonomous Systems                      Industrial Expert Systems

Papers:
======

Please submit by December 1, 1989, four  copies  of  an  extended
abstract  (4-6  double  spaced pages) to the Program Chair at the
address below. All abstracts will be refereed  by  at  least  two
members  of  the  program committee.  Authors will be notified of
acceptance by February 1, 1990 and final copies of  complete  pa-
pers will be due April 1, 1990.

Program Chair:                          General Chair:
Dr. Manton M. Matthews                  Dr. Moonis Ali
Department of Computer Science          MS 15
University of South Carolina            University of Tennessee Space Institute
Columbia, SC 29208                      Tullahoma, TN 37388
phone: (803)777-3285                    phone: (615)455-0631, ext. 236
CSNET: matthews@cs.scarolina.edu

Sponsors:
========
Association for Computing Machinery/SIGART
The University of South Carolina
The University of Tennessee Space Institute (UTSI)

In Cooperation with:
===================
American Association for Artificial Intelligence
Canadian Society for Computational Studies of Intelligence
IEEE Computer Society
International Association of Knowledge Engineers
International Center for the Applications of Information Technology
International Neural Networks Society

Proceedings:
===========
The proceedings will be published by ACM and will be available at the
conference.  A few copies of the proceedings of earlier conferences are
available by contacting Nancy Wise at (615)455-0631 ext. 236.

Program Co-Chairs:
=================
Jaime Carbonell, Carnegie-Mellon University
Paul Chung, AIAI, Edinburgh, UK
Michael Magee, University of Wyoming

Other Officers:
==============
Local Chair: Marco Valtorta, University of South Carolina
Tutorial Chair: Gautam Biswas, Vanderbilt University
Exhibits Chair: Jeffrey Dawson, Digital Equipment Corporation
Registration Chair: Sandy Shankle, University of Tennessee Space Institute
Publicity Chair: S.C. Lee, University of Tennessee Space Institute

Program Committee:
=================
Fevzi Belli, University of Paderborn, Federal Republic of Germany
James Bezdek, Boeing Aerospace
Gautam Biswas, Vanderbilt University
John Bourne, Vanderbilt University
Bruce Buchanan, University of Pittsburg
Thomas Bylander, Ohio State University
A. Costes, LAAS-CNRS, France
Graham Forsyth, DSTO Aeronautical, Australia
Toshio Fukuda, University of Tokio, Japan
Edward Grant, Turing Institute, UK
Uwe Haass, ESPRIT, Belgium
William A. Hoff, Martin Marietta Astronautics
Michael Huhns, MCC
Robert Inder, AIAI, Edinburgh, UK
Kazuhiko Kawamura, Vanderbilt University
Roy Leitch, Heriot-Watt University, UK
Jonathan Litt, Army Louis Research Center
Richard Mansfield, Journal of Expert Systems
L.P. McNamee, UCLA
Walter Merrill, NASA Lewis
Sanjai Mittal, Xerox Corporation
John Mitchiner, Sandia Labs
Bernard Moulin, Laval University, Canada
Penny Nii, Stanford University
A.M. Norman, Rockwell International
Francois Pin, Oak Ridge National Labs
David Plaisted, UNC-Chapel Hill
Don Potter, University of Georgia
John Roach, Virginia Tech University
Carol Russo, GE Aircraft
Erik Sandewall, Linkoping University, Sweden
Wolfgang Schoenfeld, IBM Heidelberg, Federal Republic of Germany
Paul Schutte, NASA Langley
Donald Steiner, MCC
Greg Switek, NASA
Marco Valtorta, University of South Carolina
Bruce Whitehead, UTSI

Venue and date:
==============
The conference will take place at the Mills House Hotel in historic downtown
Charleston, South Carolina, U.S.A., on July 15-18, 1989.

------------------------------

Subject: Talk by Walter Freeman
From:    baker%icsi.Berkeley.EDU@berkeley.edu (Paula Ann Baker)
Date:    Fri, 06 Oct 89 16:28:07 -0700

[[ Editor's Note: Again, while this talk is long past, readers may be
interested in what Freeman is thinknig about. -PM ]]

          The International Computer Science Institute
                  is pleased to present a talk:

              Thursday, October 12, 1989  2:00 p.m.

                      Dr. Walter J. Freeman
                 Department of Physiology-Anatomy
                     University of California
                      Berkeley CA 94720 USA

           "Machine Vision Using Biological Algorithms"

       Sensory  and  perceptual  information   exists  as  space-
   time patterns  of  neural  activity  in cortex  in two  modes.
   Neural analysis of sensory input as in feature  extraction  is
   done  with  action  potentials  of  single  neurons  in  point
   processes.  Neural synthesis of input with past experience and
   expectancy of future action is done with dendritic integration
   in local mean fields.  Both kinds of  activity  are  found  to
   coexist  in  olfactory  and  visual cortex, each preceding and
   then following the other.   The transformation of  information
   from  the  pulse  mode  to the dendritic mode involves a state
   transition of the cortical network that can be  modeled  by  a
   Hopf  bifurcation  in  both software and hardware embodiments.
   A more powerful model is designed to function in a determinis-
   tic chaotic mode, in which exemplars of classes of inputs  are
   stored by network connections, and retrieval is by bifurcation
   from one lobe or wing to another of a global chaotic attractor
   that is formed and maintained by processes of learning.  These
   neural models show robust powers for amplification and correct
   classification  of noisy and incomplete patterns corresponding
   to sensory inputs to biological nervous systems  in  attentive
   and  motivated animals.  Here the evidence is reviewed and the
   requirements are summarized for machine simulations  of  these
   operations, and an example is given of their use for real-time
   classification of industrial screws and other small parts into
   classes of acceptable and unacceptable tolerances.

      This talk will be held in the Main Lecture Hall at ICSI.
        1947 Center Street, Sixth Floor, Berkeley, CA  94704
     (On Center between Milvia and Martin Luther King Jr. Way)

End of Neurons Digest