[comp.ai.neural-nets] Do Higher Order Neurons Exist ?

camargo@cs.columbia.edu (Francisco Camargo) (10/19/89)

Hi there,

I'm trying to find evidence for the existence in the brain of SIGMA-PI units
as suggested in the PDP book. The real question is:

 "Are there neurons in  the real brain that support the current research
  on higher order networks ? "

I'm puzzled with the difficulty to implement simple nets capable of outputting
a continuous quantity  proportional to the product of its inputs. Even in the
simpler form (multiplying X and Y to produce K.Z for some K in R), this
problem has taken hours in a back-prop simulator, yielding very poor
precision even with 'apparently' complex nets (3 to 5 layers, 3 to 10 neurons
per layer).

Any comments are appreciated.

Francisco A. Camargo
camargo@cs.columbia.edu

honavar@goat.cs.wisc.edu (A Buggy AI Program) (10/21/89)

In article <384@cs.columbia.edu> camargo@cs.columbia.edu (Francisco Camargo) writes:
>Hi there,
>
>I'm trying to find evidence for the existence in the brain of SIGMA-PI units
>as suggested in the PDP book. The real question is:
>
> "Are there neurons in  the real brain that support the current research
>  on higher order networks ? "

There is evidence for multiplicative interactions on the dendrites of neurons
i.e., local regions of dendritic arbors can act like multiplicative units
(not necessarily sigma-pi) whose outputs are summed at the cell body.

For an excellent review of this and related issues, see the paper by
Gordon Shepherd titled "The significance of real neuron architectures for
neural network simulations" in "Computational Neuroscience" ed. E. Schwartz,
1989 (to appear).

Vasant Honavar

mehra@s.cs.uiuc.edu (10/24/89)

?
?I'm puzzled with the difficulty to implement simple nets capable of outputting
?a continuous quantity  proportional to the product of its inputs. Even in the
?simpler form (multiplying X and Y to produce K.Z for some K in R), this
?problem has taken hours in a back-prop simulator, yielding very poor

Also important to note is the fact that when "real brain" operations
occur, they are in frequency domain. Anyone with even a smattering of
knowledge about signal processing (like me) knows that multiplication
in time domain is convolution in frequency domain. So, what might
seem like a complex operation (multiplication of numbers) might be
realized rather easily in proper frequency domain circuitry...

Now, of course, what with DSP and all, everyone seems to be using
non-neural hardware for doing this stuff. Maybe someone from analog VLSI
knows the answer.

Of course this is speculative, and it is not saying that this is what
Rumelhart et al. had in mind when they wrote their book.

Pankaj Mehra

mehra@s.cs.uiuc.edu (11/11/89)

Recently, there was some discussion about higher order nets
and the difficulty of realizing multiplication using neural
mechanisms. One possibility I suggested was that of doing
multiplication through convolution in frequency domain.

Some people asked me for a reference to some paper showing
the use of frequency domain operations in "real brains". Here
is one:

Neuroethology of Acoustic Prey Localization in the Barn Owl
by Masakazu Konishi
in Neuroethology and Behavioral Psychology eds F Huber & H. Markl
(c) Springer-Verlag 1983

see p. 307