[comp.ai.neural-nets] Neuron Digest V5 #46

neuron-request@HPLABS.HP.COM ("Neuron-Digest Moderator Peter Marvit") (11/14/89)

Neuron Digest   Monday, 13 Nov 1989
                Volume 5 : Issue 46

Today's Topics:
                  connectionist book series announcement
                            ICNC in Duesseldorf
            TR available: Evolution, Learning and Culture too!
                      Biomedical Imaging Mailing List
                       Symposium:CONTROL FOR PROFIT
        announcing: Rochester Connectionist Simulator, Version 4.2
                  Cognitive Science Talk: David Touretzky
                              graduate study
                               TR available
                            NIPS VLSI workshop
                      IJCNN - Request for Volunteers
                              Call for papers

Send submissions, questions, address maintenance and requests for old issues to
"neuron-request@hplabs.hp.com" or "{any backbone,uunet}!hplabs!neuron-request"
Use "ftp" to get old issues from hplpm.hpl.hp.com (15.255.176.205).

Subject: connectionist book series announcement
From:    Jeff Elman <elman@amos.ucsd.edu>
Date:    Mon, 02 Oct 89 22:23:31 -0700

              - New Book Series Announcement -

          NEURAL NETWORK MODELING & CONNECTIONISM
               The MIT Press / Bradford Books

     This series will make  available  seminal  state-of-the
art  research  in neural network and connectionist modeling.
The research in this area has grown  explosively  in  recent
years  and  has  sparked  controversy  and  debate in a wide
variety of areas.  Many researchers believe that this  para-
digm  offers new and deep insights into the basis and nature
of intelligent behavior in both  biological  and  artificial
systems.

     The series publishing program will include:  monographs
based  on influential dissertations; monographs and in-depth
reports of research programs based on mature work by leaders
in  the  field;  edited volumes and collections on topics of
special interest; major reference works;  undergraduate  and
graduate  level textbooks.  The series will be highly inter-
disciplinary, spanning  fields  as  diverse  as  psychology,
linguistics,  cognitive  science, neuroscience, neurobiology
and genetics, physics and biophysics, mathematics,  computer
science,  artificial  intelligence, engineering, and econom-
ics.

     Potential authors are encouraged to contact any of  the
Editors or the Publisher.

Editor:
    Jeffrey L. Elman
    Dept. of Cognitive Science
    UCSD; La Jolla, CA 92093
    elman@amos.ucsd.edu

Associate Editors:
    James Anderson (Brown)              James McClelland (CMU)
    Andrew Barto (UMass/Amherst)        Domenico Parisi (Rome)
    Gary Dell (Illinois)                David Rumelhart (Stanford)
    Jerome Feldman (ICSI, Berkeley)     Terrence Sejnowski (UCSD, Salk)
    Stephen Grossberg (BU)              Paul Smolensky (Colorado)
    Stephen Hanson (Bellcore)           Stephen Stich (Rutgers)
    Geoffrey Hinton (Toronto)           David Touretzky (CMU)
    Michael Jordan (MIT)                David Zipser (UCSD)

Publisher:
    Henry B. Stanton
    The MIT Press / Bradford Books
    55 Hayward Street; Cambridge MA 02142

------------------------------

Subject: ICNC in Duesseldorf
From:    "Rolf Eckmiller" <eckmille@dd0rud81.bitnet>
Date:    Wed, 11 Oct 89 17:22:00 +0700

                 ICNC in Duesseldorf       2nd Announcement            10/89

Int.Conf.on PARALLEL PROCESSING IN NEURAL SYSTEMS AND COMPUTERS (ICNC)
           -- 10th Cybernetics Congress of the DGK --
       19.-21. March, 1990, Heinrich-Heine-Universitaet Duesseldorf (FRG)

Organizing Committee:  R. Eckmiller (chair)   Duesseldorf (FRG)
                       G. Hartmann            Paderborn   (FRG)
                       G. Hauske              Muenchen    (FRG)
                       C.v.d. Malsburg        Los Angeles (USA)
                       W.v. Seelen            Bochum      (FRG)

Invited Lectures include:

J.R. Barker:   Nanoelectronics Res. Ctr., Univ. Glasgow (UK)
       NOVEL LOGIC AND ARCHITECTURES FOR MOLECULAR COMPUTING

G. Carpenter:  Center for Adaptive Systems, Boston Univ. (USA)
       ADAPTIVE RESONANCE THEORY

A. Cremers:    Informatik, Univ. Dortmund (FRG)
       PARALLEL PROCESS INTERFACES TO KNOWLEDGE SYSTEMS

J. Feldman:    Int. Comp. Sci. Inst., ICSI, Berkeley (USA)
       TIME, SPACE, AND FORM IN VISION

K. Fukushima:  Faculty of Engineering Science, Osaka University, (Japan)
       NEURAL NETWORK MODELS FOR VISUAL PATTERN RECOGNITION

H. Haarer:     Experimentalphysik, Universitaet Bayreuth, (FRG)
       NEW LASER TECHNIQUES FOR QUASI-MOLECULAR STORAGE:
       PRESENT STATUS AND LIMITATIONS

H. Haken:      Theor. Physik, Universitaet Stuttgart (FRG)
       PATTERN RECOGNITION BY SYNERGETIC COMPTUTERS

T. Kohonen:    Helsinki Univ. of Technology, Espoo (Finland)
       INTERNAL REPRESENTATIONS AND ASSOCIATIVE MEMORY

D. Psaltis:    Caltech, Electr. Enineering, Pasadena (USA)
       LEARNING IN OPTICAL NEURAL NETWORKS

W. Reichardt:  MPI f. Biol. Kybernetik, Tuebingen (FRG)
       THE FIGURE-GROUND DISCRIMINATION PROBLEM: THE FLY'S SOLUTION

U. Trottenberg: SUPRENUM GmbH, Bonn (FRG)
       SUPREMUN - PRESENT AND FUTURE

ICNC - CONFERENCE SECRETARIAT:
Dr. R. Eckmiller
Division of Biocybernetics, Heinrich-Heine-Universitaet Duesseldorf
Universitaetsstrasse 1, D-4000 Duesseldorf 1 (FRG)
TEL:(211) 311-5204, E-MAIL: ECKMILLE@DD0RUD81.BITNET

CONFERENCE LOCATION:
Building 23.02 (Lecture Halls and Foyer)
Heinrich-Heine-Universtaet Duesseldorf
Universitaetsstrasse 1, D-4000 Duesseldorf 1 (FRG)

HOTEL RESERVATION
Make your own hotel reservation via the Tourist Association:

Verkehrsverein der Stadt Duesseldorf, Konrad-Adenauer-Platz
D-4000 Duesseldorf 1 (FRG), TEL:(211)35 05 05
or by contacting one of the following Hotels:

In Duesseldorf                       In Neuss vis a vis Duesseldorf

Hotel an der Uni                     City Hotel Neuss
Moorenstrae 4                       Adolf-Flecken-Strasse 18-20
D-4000 Duesseldorf 1 (FRG)           D-4040 Neuss 1 (FRG)
TEL:(211)33 22 93                    TEL:(2101)27 50 21

Hotel Pons                           Swisshotel Rheinpark
Christophstrasse 2                   Rheinallee 1
D-4000 Duesseldorf 1 (FRG)           D-4040 Neuss 1 (FRG)
TEL:(211)33 57 47                    TEL:(2101)153-0

Hotel am Rathaus
Rheinstrasse 3
D-4000 Duesseldorf 1 (FRG)
TEL:(211)32 65 56

Hotel Aida
Ubierstrasse 36
D-4000 Duesseldorf 1 (FRG)
TEL:(211)15 99-0

Haus Rheinblick
Muehlenstrasse 25
D-4000 Duesseldorf 1 (FRG)
TEL:(211)32 53 16

cut here- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

REGISTRATION FORM - ICNC, Duesseldorf (FRG), 19.-21. March, 1990

Please send a separate bank draft or check for each person
registering.
Registration fees:        Before 15 November, 1989   =   150 DM (or US$ 81.-)
(incl. Proceedings)       After  15 November, 1989   =   200 DM (or US$108.-)
                          Students*                  =    75 DM (or US$ 40.-)

*) Students present proper identification either by Student ID Card or by
letter from their supervisor.

Exhibit Space**           Before 15 November, 1989   =   200 DM (or US$ 108.-)
                          After  15 November, 1989   =   300 DM (or US$ 162.-)

**) Early reservations of the limited exhibit space compartments are advised.
Interested exhibitors should contact the ICNC-Conference Secretariat by
TEL (211)311-5204 or FAX (211)34 22 29.

Please send fees for registration and exhibit space reservation by
Bank Draft to:
Account No. 14 11 131, Dr. Rolf Eckmiller/Neurale Systeme
Commerzbank Duesseldorf (FRG), Bank Code: 300 400 00

Participants from outside Europe may choose to send fees by
mailing a check in US Dollars (payable to: Dr. Rolf Eckmiller/Neurale Systeme)
to the ICNC-Conference Secretariat.

Please circle one: Dr.  Mr.  Ms.          Please check one:

Last Name _____________________________ (   )I have sent_____DM by Bank Draft.

First Name_____________________________

Affiliation___________________________ (   )I enclose a check for US$________

Adress_________________________________

City___________________________________ State________________________________

Country________________________________ TEL:(        )______________________

Date___________________________________
Signature_____________________________

SUBMISSION OF PAPERS AND PUBLICATION
Conference proceedings (hard cover book) will be published by Elsevier
Science Publishers and will be available at the conference!!  The majority
of accepted papers will be presented as posters. Therefore the participants
are strongly encouraged to select the choice: Poster presentation.

Please, mail your camera-ready 4 page manuscript as one original and four
copies (for review) together with Reprint Order and Copyright Forms and the
Registration Form before

              15 NOVEMBER, 1989 to the ICNC-Conference Secretariat.

Submitted manuscripts arriving at ICNC-Conference Secretariat later than 15
NOVEMBER, 1989 cannot be considered.

Additional typing sheets, reprint order-, and copyright forms may be
requested from: Camera-Ready Publ. Group Elsevier, TEL: (20) 58 62-518 in
Amsterdam, Netherlands, or from the ICNC-Conference Secretariat.

PRESENTATION PREFERANCE:
            Check one: (  ) Oral presentation
                       (  ) Poster presentation
                       (  ) Poster or Oral presentation
                       (  ) No presentation

TOPICS SELECTION:
Check one of the 6 topics for your presentation:
    1) New Concepts in Neuroscience and Computational Neuroscience
    2) Massively Parallel Computers (e.g. SUPRENUM, Transputer Systems)
    3) Structure and Function of Biological Neural Systems
    4) Self Organization versus Programming in Parallel Computers
    5) Optical Computers and Molecular Computers
    6) Parallel Processing in Artificial Intelligence

------------------------------

Subject: TR available: Evolution, Learning and Culture too!
From:    rik%cs@ucsd.edu (Rik Belew)
Date:    Tue, 24 Oct 89 19:33:27 -0700

                   EVOLUTION, LEARNING AND CULTURE:
           Computational metaphors for adaptive algorithms

                           Richard K. Belew
              Cognitive Computer Science Research Group
                Computer Science & Engr. Dept. (C-014)
                    Univ. California at San Diego
                          La Jolla, CA 92093
                          rik%cs@ucsd.edu

                    CSE Technical Report #CS89-156

Potential interactions between connectionist learning systems and
algorithms modeled after evolutionary adaptation are becoming of increasing
interest.  In a recent, short and elegant paper Hinton and Nowlan extend a
version of Holland's Genetic Algorithm (GA) to consider ways in which the
evolution of species and the learning of individuals might interact.  Their
model is valuable both because it provides insight into potential
interactions between the {\em natural} processes of evolution and learning,
and as a potential bridge between the {\em artificial} questions of
efficient and effective machine learning using the GA and connectionist
networks.  This paper begins by describing the GA and Hinton and Nowlan's
simulation.  We then analyze their model, use this analysis to explain its
non-trivial dynamical behaviors, and consider the sensitivity of the
simulation to several key parameters.

Our next step is to interpose a third adaptive system --- culture ---
between the learning of individuals and the evolution of populations.
Culture accumulates the ``wisdom'' of individuals' learning beyond the
lifetime of any one individual but adapts more responsively than the pace
of evolution allows.  We describe a series of experiments in which the most
minimal notion of culture has been added to the Hinton and Nowlan model,
and use this experience to comment on the functional value of culture and
similarities between and interactions among these three classes of adaptive
systems.

Copies of this technical report are available by sending $3 (and
asking for Technical Report #CS89-156) to:
        Ms. Kathleen Hutcheson
        CSE Dept. (C-014)
        Univ. Calif. -- San Diego
        La Jolla, CA 92093

MEDIMAGE is a mailing list for the discussion of all aspects of biomedical
imaging and image processing.  The list is intended to cover a wide range
of topics including:

Image Enhancement
Volume Rendering
Scientific Visualization
CT (X-Ray Computed Tomography)
MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
PET (Positron Emission Tomography)
Ultrasound
SPECT (Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography)
Pattern Recognition
Related Artificial Intelligence Areas
PACS (Picture Archiving and Communication Systems)
Image Management and Communication Systems
Radiology
Software
Hardware
Display
Holography and Stereo Display
Industrial Applications

Any of the following are reasonable:

Abstracts                          Bibliographies
Work Planned or in Progress        Reviews
Conference Announcements           Research Overviews
Conference Reports                 Ideas
Unsolved Problems                  History and Anecdotes
Questions and Requests

Submissions to the list are welcome (to MEDIMAGE@POLYGRAF.BITNET or
MEDIMAGE%POLYGRAF.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU for non-Bitnet users).

Please contact the moderator if you have any questions or suggestions.

To subscribe send the following command to
LISTSERV@POLYGRAF.BITNET (non-Bitnet users send mail to
LISTSERV%POLYGRAF.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU):

     SUBSCRIBE MEDIMAGE Your_Full_Name

where Your_Full_Name is your real name (not your userid).

To unsubscribe, send

     UNSUBSCRIBE MEDIMAGE

Moderator: Nahum Gershon <gershon@mdf.mitre.org>

------------------------------

Subject: Symposium:CONTROL FOR PROFIT
From:    chandra%ncl.shire@newcastle.ac.uk (Chandrasekhar Kambhampati)
Date:    31 Oct 89 11:23:21 +0000

              THE UNIVERSITY OF NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
         DEPARTMENT OF CHEMICAL AND PROCESS ENGINEERING
                      WITH ICI ENGINEERING
                  THIRD INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM
                       CONTROL FOR PROFIT
                      29 - 30 NOVEMBER 1989

The annual one day symposia on aspects of Advanced  Process  Con-
trol,  organised in conjunction with ICI Engineering, have in the
past years proved highly successful. This year the third interna-
tional  meeting will continue this tradition when it takes as its
theme

                       CONTROL FOR PROFIT

The market requirements which need to be satisfied by the process
industries  are becoming increasingly complex and uncertain. Cus-
tomer expectations are sophisticated than ever before, thus  pro-
duct diversity is necessarily increasing. Add this to today's en-
vironmental pressures and the need to pay more attention  to  the
consumption  and reutilisation of energy and materials and we can
see that manufacturing processes must become ever more  integrat-
ed,  flexible and faster in their operation. The implications for
the Control Engineering Function in meeting this  challenge  will
be  reflected  in the selection and development of viable control
strategies that will be assessed in terms  of  business  value  -
minimum supervision and maximum profit measurement.

                            Programme

Wednesday 29 November

Civic Reception and Dinner         7.30 pm

Thursday 30 November

Control for Profit Symposium 8.30 am - 5.30 pm

The number of participants will be restricted to 70 in order that
each delegate will be free to participate in, and receive maximum
benefit from, the presentations and discussions.

                    The invited speakers are

Professor T McAvoy, University of Maryland, USA (Neural  Networks
in Process Engineering)

Professor T Marlin, McMaster University, Canada (Optimising  Con-
trol)

Professor S Skogestad, Trondheim University,  Norway  (Estimation
of product compositions from secondary measurements)

Dr W Tucker, G E C Corporate Research Centre, U S A  (Statistical
Process Control)

Professor J D Perkins, Imperial College, U K (Structuring Process
Control Systems)

FOR FURTHER DETAILS CONTACT

Dr M.T.Tham
Department of Chemical and Process Engineering,
The University of Newcastle Upon Tyne
Newcastle Upon Tyne NE1 7RU
U.K.

U.K. :
tel: (091) 222 6000 ext. 7266
fax: (091) 261 1182

International :
tel: +4491 222 6000 ext. 7266
fax: +4491 261 1182

e-mail within the UK  : Ming.Tham@uk.ac.newcastle
e-mail outside the UK : Ming.Tham@newcastle.ac.uk

- --------------------------cut   here-----------------------------

                     International Symposium
                               ON
                       CONTROL FOR PROFIT
    IMPERIAL HOTEL, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, 29-30 November 1989
                      REGISTRATION DETAILS

The 'Control For Profit' Symposium includes a Civic Reception and
Dinner  on  29  November and Symposium Proceedings with lunch and
interval refreshments on 30 November. Fees for the Symposium  are
150  pounds  for  industrialists and 100 pounds for academics and
students.

NAME:                                     TITLE

ADDRESS:

TELEPHONE NUMBER

FAX NUMBER

I enclose a cheque for

I require/do not require vegetarian meals (delete as applicable)

Cheques should be made payable to University  of  Newcastle  Upon
Tyne and sent to the Department of Chemical and Process Engineer-
ing.

ACCOMMODATION REQUEST

Symposium Registration fees  do  not  include  accommodation.  We
have,  however,  negotiated  special  bed and breakfast rates for
Symposium delegates wishing to stay at the  Imperial  Hotel.  The
rates are 50 pounds for a single room, bed and breakfast.

Please tick the appropriate box if you wish to be booked into the
Imperial  Hotel:  Accommodation  charges  should  be  settled  by
delegates on departure.

Single Room (Bed and Breakfast) 29 November (50 pounds)  -------
                                                         |     |
                                                         -------

Single room (Bed and Breakfast) 30 November (50 Pounds)  -------
                                                         |     |
                                                         -------

Please return completed forms to :

Dr M.T.Tham

Subject: announcing: Rochester Connectionist Simulator, Version 4.2
From:    bukys@cs.rochester.edu (Liudvikas Bukys)
Date:    31 Oct 89 20:59:44 +0000

[[ Editor's Note: RCS now has a mostly working X11 interface! -PM ]]

are stored in the directory ~uucp/pub/simulator.

This new version includes an X11 interface, and it should run with little
effort on Vaxen, Sun-3s, Sun-4s (but not on Sun386i machines), DECstations,
and MIPS workstations.  It includes various bug and documentation fixes
that have been accumulating for the last 18 months.  A Macintosh/MPW port
of the 4.1 simulator has also been contributed for redistribution.
Finally, version 4.2 adopts the licensing terms of the Free Software
Foundation.

If you are unable to obtain anonymous FTP or UUCP access to the simulator
distribution, you can still order a copy the old-fashioned way.  Send a
check for US$150 (payable to the University of Rochester) to:
        Peg Meeker
        Computer Science Department
        University of Rochester
        Rochester, NY  14627
        (USA)
You will, in return, receive a distribution tape and a 200-page manual.
PLEASE SPECIFY WHETHER YOU WANT:
        a 1600bpi 1/2" reel
OR      a QIC-24 (SUN) 1/4" cartridge.

If you have a PostScript printer, you should be able to produce your own
copy of the manual.  If you want a paper copy of the manual anyway, send a
check for $10 per manual (payable to the University of Rochester) to Peg
Meeker at the above address.

We do not have the facilities for generating invoices, so payment is
required with any order.

If you do decide to use the simulator, you should join the simulator users'
mailing list, to keep up with the latest news, patches, and helpful hints.
To join, drop me a note at the following address...

Liudvikas Bukys
<simulator-request@cs.rochester.edu>

------------------------------

Subject: Cognitive Science Talk: David Touretzky
From:    berg@albanycs.Albany.Edu (George Berg)
Date:    03 Nov 89 22:41:16 +0000

                     COGNITIVE SCIENCE COLLOQUIUM
   Sponsored by the Department of Linguistics and Cognitive Science
                State University of New York at Albany

                              ---------

                 A COMPUTATIONAL BASIS FOR PHONOLOGY

                        Dr. David S. Touretzky
                      School of Computer Science
                      Carnegie Mellon Unversity
                         Pittsburgh, PA 15213

                  Friday, November 17, 1989, 2:30 PM
                       Humanities Building 354
                State University of New York at Albany

                               ABSTRACT

   Phonology is the study of the sound patterns of a language.  It includes
processes such as nasal assimilation, vowel harmony, tone shifting, and
syllabification.  The phonological structure of human languages is
intricate, but it is also highly constrained and stunningly regular.  The
easy observability of phonological processes, their discrete, symbolic
nature, and their rapid acquisition by very young children suggest that
this may be a good domain in which to explore issues of rules and symbolic
representations in the brain.

   In this talk I will give a brief sketch of George Lakoff's new theory of
cognitive phonology, in which sequential derivations are eliminated by
having all rules apply in parallel.  I will then describe how our attempt
to construct a connectionist implementation of the theory led us to revise
it in significant ways.  The architecture we developed resulted in a novel
prediction of a constraint on insertion processes.  Subsequent
consultations with expert phonologists have so far confirmed this
prediction.  If correct, it represents the first step toward our long term
goal of developing a computational explanation for why phonology looks the
way it does.

   This is joint work with Deirdre Wheeler of the University of Pittsburgh.

                              ---------

  To obtain additional information about this talk, please contact
George Berg (Phone: (518) 442-4267, Internet: berg@cs.albany.edu).

------------------------------

Subject: graduate study
From:    caroly@bucasb.BU.EDU (Carol Yanakakis)
Date:    Tue, 07 Nov 89 14:17:48 -0500

        *                                               *
        *           M.A. AND Ph.D. PROGRAM in           *
        *                                               *
        *         COGNITIVE AND NEURAL SYSTEMS          *
        *                                               *
        *            at BOSTON UNIVERSITY               *
        *                                               *
        *            Gail Carpenter and                 *
        *          Stephen Grossberg, Co-Directors      *
        *                                               *

Boston University offers a unique M.A. and Ph.D.  program in Cognitive and
Neural Systems. This program presents an integrated curriculum offering the
full range of psychological, neurobiological, and computational concepts,
models, and methods in the broad field variously called neural networks,
connectionism, parallel distributed processing, and biological information
processing, in which Boston University is an acknowledged leader.  Each
student is required to take an equal number of carefully selected courses
in one or more core departments, such as psychology, biology, computer
science, mathematics, or engineering. A limited number of full-time
graduate research fellowships are expected to be available.

***> For application materials, write to:

     Admissions Office
     Graduate School, Boston University
     705 Commonwealth Avenue
     Boston, MA  02215

requesting materials for the Cognitive and Neural Systems (CNS) Program,

or call:  (617) 353-2697.

***> For a CNS brochure describing the curriculum and degree requirements,
write to:

     Carol Yanakakis, Coordinator
     CNS Graduate Program
     Center for Adaptive Systems
     Boston University
     111 Cummington Street
     Boston, MA  02215

or reply to:  caroly@bucasb.bu.edu

NOTE: You must contact BOTH the University Admissions Office and the CNS
Program Coordinator in order to receive all materials necessary for
applying.

------------------------------

Subject: TR available
From:    Eric Hartman <eric@mcc.com>
Date:    Tue, 07 Nov 89 16:17:23 -0600

The following technical report is available.  Requests may be sent to
eric@mcc.com or via physical mail to the MCC address below.

                  MCC Technical Report Number:
                       ACT-ST-272-89

             Layered Neural Networks With Gaussian
            Hidden Units as Universal Approximators

       Eric Hartman, James D. Keeler, and Jacek M Kowalski

       Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation
                 3500 W. Balcones Center Dr.
                    Austin, TX 78759-6509

                          Abstract:

A neural network with a single layer of hidden units of gaussian type
(radial basis functions) is proved to be a universal approximator for
real-valued maps defined on convex, compact sets set of R^n.

(Submitted to Neural Computation)

------------------------------

Subject: NIPS VLSI workshop
From:    Joshua Alspector <josh@flash.bellcore.com>
Date:    Thu, 09 Nov 89 14:54:04 -0500

The following is an announcement for one of the workshops to be held
December 1-2, 1989 at the Keystone resort after the NIPS-89 conference.

                       VLSI NEURAL NETWORKS:
              CURRENT MILESTONES AND FUTURE HORIZONS

                             Moderators:

Joshua Alspector                and         Daniel B. Schwartz
Bell Communications Research                GTE Laboratories, Inc.
445 South Street                            40 Sylvan Road
Morristown, NJ   07960-19910                Waltham, MA   02254
(201) 829-4342                              (617) 466-2414
e-mail:  josh@bellcore.com                  e-mail:  dbs%gte.com@relay.cs.net

This workshop will explore the potential and problems of VLSI
implementations of neural network.  Several speakers will discuss their
implementation strategies and speculate about where their work may lead.
Workshop attendees will then be encouraged to organize working groups to
address specific issues raised in connection with the presentations.  An
example of a topic that has lead to contentious discussion in the past is
the relative virtue of analog vs. digital implementations of neural
networks.  Some other possible topics include:

o Architectural issues
  - synchronous or asynchronous
  - full time or multiplexed interconnect
  - local or global connectivity

o Technological issues
  - neural network specific VLSI technololgies
  - design tools and methodologies
  - robustness/fault tolerance

o Theoretical issues
  - model of analog computation
  - complexity

As part of the working groups, we also expect to make contact with deeper
issues such as the limits to VLSI complexity for neural networks, the
nature of VLSI compatible neural network algorithms, and which neural
network applications demand special purpose hardware.

Speakers (besides the moderators) include:

Jay Sage - MIT-Lincoln Lab
Rod Goodman - Caltech
Bernhard Boser - AT&T/Bell Labs
Alan Kramer - UC Berkeley
Jim Burr - Stanford
Nelson Morgan - ICSI

------------------------------

Subject: IJCNN - Request for Volunteers
From:    Karen Haines <khaines@GALILEO.ECE.CMU.EDU>
Date:    Sun, 12 Nov 89 16:35:26 -0500

                IJCNN - REQUEST FOR VOLUNTEERS
This is the final call for volunteers to help at the IJCNN conference, to
be held at the Omni Shorham Hotel in Washington D.C., on January 15-19,
1990.

Full admittance to the conference and a copy of the proceedings is offered
in exchange for your assistance throughout the conference. I would like to
point out that student registration does not include proceedings.

In general, each volunteer is expected to work one shift each day of
the conference. Hours are approximately:
        AM shift - 7:00 am - Noon
        PM shift - Noon  - 5:00 pm
In addition, assistance may be required for the social events.  There a re
a few positions available, but I suggest that if you are interested you
conatact ma as soon as possible. Below is a list of specific volunteer
events.

===================================
   VOLUNTEER SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
===================================
Sunday, January 14, 1990
- -------------------------
10am - 2pm      Volunteer Shift Signup  Registration time is based upon
                and Registration        commitment date (i.e those whose
                                        commit earlier will get first choice )

 6pm - 7pm      General Meeting         **** Mandatory Meeting ****
 7pm - 9pm      Volunteer Welcome Party

To sign up please contact:

                Karen Haines - Volunteer Coordinator
                3138 Beechwood Blvd.
                Pittsburgh, PA  15217

                office: (412) 268-3304
                message: (412) 422-6026
                email:  khaines@galileo.ece.cmu.edu
or,

                Nina Kowalski - Assistant Volunteer Coordinator
                209 W. 29th St. FLR 2
                Baltimore, MD  21211

                message: (301) 889-0587
                email: nina@alpha.ece.jhu.edu

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you,
Karen Haines
IJCNN Volunteer Coordinator

------------------------------

Subject: Call for papers
From:    Walt Baker <Walt_Baker@qmlink.draper.com>
Date:    13 Nov 89 17:16:06 -0800

                       Subject:                                Time: 4:44 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          Call for papers                         Date: 11/13/89

     Please post the following call for papers in the next
issue of Neuron Digest.  Thank you!

     Walter Baker, Member
     AIAA Technical Committee
     on Artificial Intelligence

     e-mail: Internet:baker%draper.com@relay.cs.net

               C A L L   F O R   P A P E R S

   1990 AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference

                   Special Announcement:
    Applications of ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE Technology to
         Aerospace Guidance, Navigation, and Control

            Submission Deadline:  January 15, 1990

Papers are solicited that describe the application of Artificial
Intelligence technology (including artificial neural networks) in the
following areas:

       -   Control Theory, Analysis, and Design
       -   Information and Decision Support Systems
       -   Guidance and Navigation of Aerospace Systems
       -   Differential Games
       -   Fault Accommodation
       -   Mission and Trajectory Planning

Send draft manuscripts to:

        Walter Baker
        The Charles Stark Draper Laboratory, Inc.
        555 Technology Square, MS 3B
        Cambridge, MA  02139

        phone:    (617) 258-3194
        fax:      (617) 258-1131
        e-mail:   Internet:baker%draper.com@relay.cs.net

For submission guidelines, see the October 1989 issue of "Aerospace
America," pages B37 & B38.

End of Neurons Digest