[comp.ai.neural-nets] Neuron Digest V5 #50

neuron-request@HPLABS.HP.COM ("Neuron-Digest Moderator Peter Marvit") (12/02/89)

Neuron Digest   Friday,  1 Dec 1989
                Volume 5 : Issue 50

Today's Topics:
                     summary : connectinist simulators
                Re: Neural net simulators in Public domain?
                      Re: Good primer on neural-nets?
                           NN for the Macintosh
                         Re: NN for the Macintosh
                         bp simulator executables
                       Re: bp simulator executables
         Simulation program for the Neocognitron. Does it exist ?
                      Wanted N Nsource + suggestions
                           Looking for simulator
                          "Neuralsource" on disk?
                             Test Data for NN
                                    SN2
                    Neural Network Simulator Available
                        neural net software wanted
                              GMU bps update
                           new book announcement
                      Neural Networks on Transputers
                       Connectionist models of music
                    musical applications of neural nets
                         Re: MUSIC and Neural Nets
                       connectionist models of music
                         Re: MUSIC and Neural Nets

Send submissions, questions, address maintenance and requests for old issues to
"neuron-request@hplabs.hp.com" or "{any backbone,uunet}!hplabs!neuron-request"
Use "ftp" to get old issues from hplpm.hpl.hp.com (15.255.176.205).

Subject: summary : connectinist simulators
From:    knareddy@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (krishna nareddy)
Date:    29 Sep 89 15:27:59 +0000

connectionist simulators, here is the list of connectionist simulators I
know about:

(1)     The McClelland & Rumelhart book

``Experiments in Parallel Distributed Processing: Handbook of Programs
Experiments and Models'',

comes with a disk of public domain neural network software.  Go for it!

(2)                MIRRORS/II Connectionist Simulator Available

               MIRRORS/II is a general-purpose connectionist simulator
          which  can  be used to implement a broad spectrum of connec-
          tionist  (neural  network)  models.

               MIRRORS/II is implemented in Franz Lisp  and  will  run
          under  Opuses  38, 42, and 43 of Franz Lisp on UNIX systems.
          It is currently running on a MicroVAX, VAX and  SUN  3.  It c
          an be obtained at no charge via tape or ftp.
          If you are interested in obtaining  a  copy of the software
          send your U.S. Mail address via e-mail to

                          mirrors@cs.umd.edu
                                      or
                          ...!uunet!mimsy!mirrors

          or send your U.S. Mail address to

                       Lynne D'Autrechy
                       University of Maryland
                       Department of Computer Science
                       College Park, MD  20742

          and they will send you back a license which you must sign  and
          return  to  us and further instructions on how to obtain the
          MIRRORS/II software and manual.

(3) There is a connectionist simulator available with the University of
Rochester. It can be ftp'd from cs.rochester.edu free of cost. It comes
with a graphics interface for Sun (Sunview) and can also run without a
graphic i/f. BTW, it is made for the SUN workstation.

It is available for free by anonymous ftp in pub/rcs at cs.rochester.edu.

If you cannot ftp, send a mail request to:
Department of Computer Science
University of Rochester
Rochester, NY 14627
c/o Ms. Peg Meeker

for a tape and manual at about $150/-

(4) There is a package for Mac II developed at Univ. of Colorado, Boulder.
It is called Mactivation and can be ftp'd from pub dir of
boulder.colorado.edu.

(5) George Mason Univ. has a back prop simulator

We have a back prop simulator that is user-friendly and robust, comes with
a user tutorial, incorporates some new speedup techniques, and runs on
8088, 802/386 processors unMS-DOS as well as under Unix (actually DEC
Ultrix). I can make one or more flavors of the object code available to
users via ftp if desired; the source is very portable C code, needing at
most some modification as regards calling a random number generator; only
two lines were changed in porting the MS_Dos version to a VAX 8530 under
Ultrix.  Source code can be licensed from my University, but pricing, etc.
hasn't been work out as yet.

Eugene M. Norris
Associate Professor of Computer Science
George Mason University
Fairfax, VA 22030   (703)323-2713   enorris@gmuvax2.gmu.edu

Please contact me  if I can be of any further help.

Thank you,
krishna

knareddy@ub.d.umn.edu
(218)726-7664 (w)
(218)728-6551 (h)

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Neural net simulators in Public domain?
From:    jochenru@cosmo.UUCP (Jochen Ruhland)
Date:    04 Oct 89 04:05:19 +0000

[[ Editor's Note: I cleaned up spelling though not syntax for our German
colleague. -PM ]]

You're looking on simulators?

We got one ...

It's a PC based Program for backpropagation networks, not ordered in
layers, only loop-free networks required.

Training is done with several numerical methods, including higher nonlinear
methods.

Program includes network layout with mouse input, documented training,
individual input patters for single step simulation (sounds difficult)
Program requires mouse, EGA or VGA card; we haven't tried it on other displays.

If you're interested, send a self-addressed envelope and a floppy disk 5.25
or 3.5" to:
                Universitt Kassel
                Fachbereich Mathematik
                Forschungsgruppe Neuronale Netzwerke
                Heinrich-Plett-Str 40
                3500 Kassel
                West Germany

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Good primer on neural-nets?
From:    dg1v+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Greene)
Date:    05 Oct 89 12:24:24 +0000

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.ai.neural-nets: 29-Sep-89 Good primer on
> neural-nets? Steve Wampler@naucse.UUC (285)

> Would some one recommend a good primer on the new approaches on
> neural-nets?  (The last I've seen was a *very* old book by M. Minsky
> that was pretty low-level - I'd like something more up to date.)

I'm not sure how detailed an intro you want, but I found:

"The Neural Networks Primer"  -- Maureen Caudill for AI Expert magazine

to be a quick and simple introduction.  This is actually a series of 8
installments reprinted from AI Expert magazine.  The articles introduce
ideas such as: backprop, delta rule, Kohonen learning, and Adaptive
Resonance Theory...

I'd be interested in getting other peoples opinions on the utility of
this "Primer"...

- -David
 David Perry Greene        ||    ARPA:          dg1v@andrew.cmu.edu
 GSIA /Robotics            ||                   dpg@isl1.ri.cmu.edu
 Carnegie Mellon Univ.     ||    BITNET:  dg1v%andrew@vb.cc.cmu.edu
 Pittsburgh, PA 15213      ||    UUCP: !harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!dg1v
"You're welcome to use my opinions, just don't get them all wrinkled."

------------------------------

Subject: NN for the Macintosh
From:    osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu!chovan-j@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (John Chovan)
Date:    12 Oct 89 18:42:31 +0000

Does anyone have any literature/recommendations for neural network similation
software for a Macintosh SE?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John Chovan
Chovan-J@OSU-20.IRCC.OHIO-STATE.EDU

[[ Editor's Note: U. Colorado's Mactivation and Rumelhart & McLelland's PDP
Vol III are both for the Mac, and at low/no cost.  There are also a number
of commerical ($$$$) packages.  The Rochester Simulator has an unsupprted
port of its 4.1 version for the Mac, though RCS is now at 4.2. See otehr
messages in this Digest.  -PM ]]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: NN for the Macintosh
From:    bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort)
Date:    20 Oct 89 18:16:41 +0000

In article <12533571132036@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu>
CHOVAN-J@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (John Chovan) writes:

 > Does anyone have any literature/recommendations for neural network
 > simulation software for a Macintosh SE?  Any help would be greatly
 > appreciated.

Try Mactivation 2.3, Mike Kranzdorf, author:

        University of Colorado
        Optoelectronic Computing Systems Center
        Campus Box 525
        Boulder, Colorado  80309 - 0525

        (303) 492-8099

        mikek@boulder.colorado.EDU
        {hao | nbires}!boulder!mikek

        Future versions of Mactivation will be available from:

        Oblio, Inc.
        5943 Sugarloaf Road
        Boulder, Colorado  80309
        (303) 444-7179

------------------------------

Subject: bp simulator executables
From:    enorris@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Gene Norris)
Date:    23 Oct 89 21:44:25 +0000

The George Mason University back prop simulator is now available via
anonymous ftp from anonymous@gmuvax2.gmu.edu.  After logging on, cd to /nn
and ftp *.  The compressed and tar'ed file contains a UNIX executable, an
8088/MS-DOS and an 80286/80386/DOS executable, along with some sample files
for training XOR nets and a user tutorial.  The tutorial is in microsoft
Word 4.0 format for a Macintosh and in an unformatted ASCII file with line
breaks, but no diagrams.

(remember to ftp as binary)

------------------------------

Subject: Re: bp simulator executables
From:    enorris@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Gene Norris)
Date:    24 Oct 89 14:11:02 +0000

In article <512@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> I wrote, somewhat erroneously:
>The George Mason University back prop simulator is now available
>via anonymous ftp from anonymous@gmuvax2.gmu.edu.

The files are available as advertised after you cd /norris.  Sometime soon
this directory name will change to /nn.  Sorry for the confusion.

Eugene Norris
CS Dept GMU Fairfax, VA 22032 (703)323-2713
enorris@gmuvax2.gmu.edu

------------------------------

Subject: Simulation program for the Neocognitron. Does it exist ?
From:    motcid!demetrio@uunet.uu.net (Demetrakis Demetriou)
Date:    27 Oct 89 20:43:21 +0000

Name:  Demetrakis (James)  Demetriou
Phone #: (312) 632-5348

I am trying to simulate the Neocognitron from the paper of Kunihiko
Fukushima
        "A Neural Network for Visual Pattern Recognition", IEEE, COMPUTER
magazine,March 1988.
        Has anyone done a simulation program for the Neocognitron or
something similar.
        The purpose for this simulation is to verify that the Neocognitron
model works and then I am going to implement it with digital hardware,
instead of analog that has been done before.

        I have more papers from K. Fukushima if anyone is interested.
        Feel free to contact me at any time.
                Thank you

------------------------------

Subject: Wanted N Nsource + suggestions
From:    frobozz@well.UUCP (Jordan Bortz)
Date:    06 Nov 89 23:09:44 +0000

Hi...I'd like to do a NN sim. in Smalltalk-80, and was wondering if someone
had the requesite C code to get started....  What about articles or on-line
examples??

        Jordan

*  Jordan A. Bortz, Higher Level Software, Santa Cruz, CA             *
*  well!frobozz frobozz@well.sf.ca.us   408 - 476 - 8464              *

------------------------------

Subject: Looking for simulator
From:    klynn@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Kevin J. Lynn)
Date:    14 Nov 89 20:09:55 +0000

We are looking for a neural-net simulation system to run on an SCS
super-mini computer.  The SCS uses the same instruction set as the CRAY
X-MP line and is running the CTSS operating system.

Any help appreciated.  Please respond directly to us at the above address.

Thanks.

------------------------------

Subject: "Neuralsource" on disk?
From:    gem.mps.ohio-state.edu!swrinde!cs.utexas.edu!asuvax!hrc!gtx!al@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Alan Filipski)
Date:    20 Nov 89 17:52:21 +0000

I just got a flyer from Van Nostrand Reinhold describing a book called
"Neuralsource-- The Bibliographic Guide to Artificial Neural Networks" by
Wasserman and Oetzel that they are selling for $64.95.  It is a
bibliography of some 4000 references. They say that "this material was
originally available only on disk for computer retrieval"

Does anyone know if the disks are still available and from whom?  I'd
prefer a computer file to a big book.

 ( Alan Filipski, GTX Corp, 8836 N. 23rd Avenue, Phoenix, Arizona 85021, USA )
 ( {decvax,hplabs,uunet!amdahl,nsc}!sun!sunburn!gtx!al         (602)870-1696 )

------------------------------

Subject: Test Data for NN
From:    meo@kronos.cs.wayne.edu (Mike Otten)
Date:    20 Nov 89 19:35:57 +0000

   Fellow Neural Netters,

   I am working on implementing a neural net algorithm and am in search of
test data with which I can compare my results.

   I have met with some success in training the net to classify sample
patterns from a 2-d XOR domain, and from a 7-d character recognition domain
with noise (LED digits).  I am now looking for a standard
multi-dimensional, real-valued domain.  I am looking for some
recognized/published domain and would prefer some synthetic dataset where I
can generate small sample sets for training and larger/more complete sets
for testing.
   If some data bank can be made available to me or if you can offer any
pointers to what I am looking for, your help would be greatly appreciated.

   Sincerely,

   Mike Otten
   Computer Science
   Wayne State University
   Detroit, MI 48201
   313-577-2477
   meo@cs.wayne.edu

------------------------------

Subject: SN2
From:    hardbody@milton.acs.washington.edu (Hardbody)
Date:    20 Nov 89 21:35:08 +0000

Has anybody out there used SN2 before? (The neural network simulation
package.)  I need some help on it.

Please send e-mail.

------------------------------

Subject: Neural Network Simulator Available
From:    max@shodha.dec.com (Max McClanahan)
Date:    27 Nov 89 20:10:28 +0000

    Digital Equipment Corporation's Neural Design and Simulation
    System (NeurDS) has recently been made available for use by
    educational institutions.  The NeurDS software is being licensed
    on a no-fee basis to educational institutions who would like to
    use it for neural network experimentation.

    The NeurDS system is a general purpose tool for building, running
    and analyzing Neural Network Models in an efficient manner.
    NeurDS will compile and run virtually any Neural Network Model
    using a consistent user interface that may be either window or
    "batch" oriented.  The NeurDS system will run on any Digital
    platform including Vax/VMS, Vax/Ultrix, and DECsystem/Ultrix.  A
    graphics terminal is not required to support the window interface.
    The system includes a users manual as well as examples of several
    standard neural network problems.

    Copies of the NeurDS system may be requested by writing to:

        mcclanahan%cookie.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com
        Digital Equipment Corporation
        1175 Chapel Hills Drive
        Colorado Springs CO 80920-3952

------------------------------

Subject: neural net software wanted
From:    westby@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu
Date:    27 Nov 89 21:53:51 +0000

A friend of mine is looking for information on neural net software,
especially programs written for an IBM-PC.  If you know of any such
programs, or have references to somebody who knows a lot about these
programs, please send e-mail to me at

        westby@thor.acc.stolaf.edu
                -or-
        westby@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu

Thank you very much.

Ina Westby

westby@thor.acc.stolaf.edu
westby@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu

------------------------------

Subject: GMU bps update
From:    enorris@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Gene Norris)
Date:    28 Nov 89 00:14:06 +0000

An updated version, 1.01, of the Goerge Mason University back prop
simulator, bps is now available via anonymous ftp from gmuvax2.gmu.edu.
This is a Unix system. The file bps.tar is a tar-formatted compressed
version of the GMU backprop simulator, tutorial(s) and sample files.  In
order to use it, you must tar it to de-archive it and then uncompress the
resulting 8 files. When you get that far, please read the brief file
readme.now before proceeding further.

The current version, 1.01, of bps was released on Tuesday, Nov. 14 and
contains a fix to the transfer function derivative that was incorrect if
you used a symmetric transfer function, i.e. one with a range of -M/2 to
+M/2. AT present, the bug fix is only in the unix version -- we've had
local network problems as well as no time. Please bear with us on this.
When you run the updated version, the version number appears on the initial
screen.

A SOURCE CODE license is now available. Please contact the undersigned for
details .

Eugene Norris
CS Dept George Mason University Fairfax, VA 22032 (703)323-2713
enorris@gmuvax2.gmu.edu

------------------------------

Subject: new book announcement
From:    Steve Hampson <hampson@ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date:    Tue, 28 Nov 89 13:36:25 -0800

New Book Announcement!

Connectionistic Problem Solving

Steven Hampson, UC Irvine
Birkhauser: Boston
ISBN 0-8176-3450-9
276 pages, $39.00

is now available from:

Birkhauser Boston, Inc. Order Dept.
c/o Springer Verlag
44 Hartz Way
Secaucus, NJ  07094

1-800-777-4643

Here is the back-cover blurb.

This book develops a connectionistic model of adaptive problem solving. In
the process, various computational issues are identified that are
susceptible to formal analysis and that can be related directly to the
biological structures and processes involved in biological problem solving.
Abstract problem solving is a well-defined domain for the formal
investigation of intelligent behavior, and maze learning, used here as a
concrete example of problem solving, is a traditional tool for
psychologists and neuroscientists studying animal behavior. Consequently, a
substantial body of physiological and behavioral data is available to
motivate the construction of computational models. Conversely, functional
issues arising in model building help organize these often disparate
biological results.  At the most general level, the book addresses issues
concerning the efficient learning and representation of categories, and the
assembly of action sequences to achieve specific goals.  Various
approaches, often with complementary characteristics, are considered.  An
extensive bibliography, ranging from the work of Tolman to recent
connectionist theory, provides access to relevant work in the
neural-modelling and animal learning-theory literature.

------------------------------

Subject: Neural Networks on Transputers
From:    hfry@alize.imag.fr
Date:    13 Oct 89 14:44:51 +0000

I am trying to implement NN algorithms on a MegaNode (128 Transputers)
and I am looking for articles, abstracts or any references on attempts made
on parallelisation of NN.

Thank you

Herve Frydlender
Laboratoire TIM3 APCF
INPG
46 avenue Felix Viallet
38031 GRENOBLE Cedex
FRANCE

e-mail : hfry@alize.imag.fr

------------------------------

Subject: Connectionist models of music
From:    derek@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Derek Gross)
Date:    07 Oct 89 22:32:01 +0000

Does anyone know of any connectionist models of musical structures, perception
or composition? If so, please send me e-mail.

Thanks,
Derek Gross

------------------------------

Subject: musical applications of neural nets
From:    viseli@uceng.UC.EDU (victor l iseli)
Date:    13 Oct 89 18:42:02 +0000

Over the past few months, there have been various requests (mine included.)
for information on music-related applications of neural nets.  Since I have
not seen any mention of it yet, I felt that I should bring to light a
newly-found source which might contain some valuable articles:

Computer Music Journal, vol. 13, no. 3.
"Neural Nets and Connectionism 1"

This journal is published by the MIT Press, and subscription in-
formation is available at
  The MIT Press
  55 Hayward Street
  Cambridge, MA 02142.

A brief run-down of the rates ... "$25 for students and retirees, $28 for
individuals, and $63 for institutions.  Subscribers outside the United
States add $9 for surface postage, $17 for airmail.  Single copies of
current issues: $8."  Issues appear quarterly.

This particular issue, the fall issue, contains articles covering
  -- "Preface to the Special Issue on Parallel Distributed Processing
      and Neural Networks"
  -- "Machine Tongues XII: Neural Networks"
  -- "A Neural Net Model for Pitch Perception"
  -- "Connectionist Models for Tonal Analysis"
  -- "The Quantization of Musical Time: A Connectionist Approach"
  -- "Using Connectionist Models to Explore Complex Musical Patterns"
  -- "Fingering for String Instruments with the Optimum Path Paradigm"
  -- others including more special interest and updates on new products.

This is the first issue of a two-issue Neural Network series being run by
this journal.  The next issue of Computer Music Journal is expected in the
Winter (Dec./Jan.), and will expand on some of the subjects presented in
the first featured neural network issue.  If you are interested in neural
nets in music, I suggest checking this publication out.

         ||     University of Cincinnati
\\    // || ||  Dept. Electrical Engr.
 \\  //  || ||  811K Rhodes Hall
  \\//   || ||  Cincinnati, OH 45219

------------------------------

Subject: Re: MUSIC and Neural Nets
From:    schiebel@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Darrell Schiebel)
Date:    17 Nov 89 22:33:50 +0000

I'd suggest getting the paper by Teuvo Kohonen entitled "A Self-Learning
Musical Grammar, or `Associative Memory of the Second Kind'"; it was
published in the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks June
18-22, 1989.  The music generated was quite beautiful.

BTW: Teuvo Kohonen, Helsinki University of Technology, Laboratory of
        Computer and Information Science, Rakentajanaukio 2 C, SF-02150
        Espoo, Finland.

Darrell Schiebel
(schiebel@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu)

[[ Editor's Note: I was actually quite disappointed both with the paper and
the music. It sounded to me even less interesting than Mozart's Musical
Dice results.  Admittedly, being classically trained at Conservatory, I
have a somewhat biased opinion.  Perhaps to more generous ears, the music
was adequate. -PM ]]

------------------------------

From:    todd@psych.Stanford.EDU (Peter Todd)
Date:    29 Nov 89 03:28:18 +0000

In answer to recent queries on the net about connectionist models of music,
I wanted to point out that the current and next issues of the Computer
Music Journal (MIT Press) are specifically devoted to this topic.  In the
current issue, 13(3), out now, there is a general tutorial on musical
applications of networks, plus articles on network models of pitch
perception, tonal analysis, quantization of time, complex musical patterns,
and instrument fingering.  In the next issue, 13(4), due out at the end of
the year, there will be articles on my work using sequential networks for
composition, modelling tonal expectancy (with Jamshed Bharucha, who has
also published much work in the area of network modelling of human musical
behavior), and another article on representations for pitch perception.
Both issues were edited by D. Gareth Loy, of UC San Diego, and myself; the
journal is available in some bookstores.  Hope this helps--

               peter todd
               stanford university
               psychology department
               todd@psych.stanford.edu

------------------------------

From:    eru!luth!sunic!mcsun!ukc!reading!cf-cm!andrew@bloom-beacon.mit.edu (Andrew Jones)
Date:    27 Nov 89 18:12:42 +0000

I would like to thank all those who have e-mailed responses to my original
request concerning musical applications of Neural Networks. Each message
was very welcome. I have replied to each message I have received, so
hopefully the mailers are already aware of my gratitude.

Some of the mailers asked if I could summarize responses to the net. A
number of people pointed me towards the work of Teuvo Kohonen. He has
published the following paper:

A Self-Learning Musical Grammar, or 'Associative Memory of the Second Kind'
International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, 1989, Vol 1, p. I-1 to
I-5.

Apparently the music generated has something of the flavour of J.S. Bach.

I understand that Teuvo Kohonen will present a "Neural Concert" on Monday
Jan. 15th, 1990 at the 1990 IJCNN. I wish I could be there!

Apart from this, the Computer Music Journal has devoted Vol. 13 nos. 3 & 4
to this topic.

Rick Romero (rr2p+@edu.cmu.andrew) stated that he is considering getting
involved in this area; Andrew McCallum (andrewm@edu.dartmouth.eleazer)
informed me that Jamshed Bharucha, Prof. of Psychology at Dartmouth
College, has been doing research into NN's and the perception of music for
quite a while. He can be reached at bharucha@dartmouth.edu.

Finally, I have not yet received a posting by Eliot Handelman, except that
Darrell Schiebel included at least part of it in his posting (things are V
E R Y S L O W getting through to us at the moment). Eliot Handelman is
saying, I think, that non-musicians should avoid this subject area.  One of
the people who e-mailed me stated that he disagreed with this opinion. I
suppose it depends what you mean by "musician".

Anyway, thanks again to all those who expressed an interest!

ANDREW
======

End of Neurons Digest