[comp.ai.neural-nets] Neuron Digest V5 #53

neuron-request@HPLABS.HP.COM ("Neuron-Digest Moderator Peter Marvit") (12/10/89)

Neuron Digest   Saturday,  9 Dec 1989
                Volume 5 : Issue 53

Today's Topics:
                                AI schools
                                AI schools
                   Cognitive Science PhD program @ UCSD
                            Book on Neural Nets
                          Re: Book on Neural Nets
                     graph matching references wanted
                   Re: Graph matching references wanted
                            Help with Biblio..
                  Info on NNs for Handwriting Recognition
                    Re: Info on speech and neural nets
                         Info retrieval using nert
                   Re: Info retrieval using neural nets
                        In search of an article...
                        journal evaluation request
                             Literature Search
                          Neural Net Bibliography
                    N.N. applications in expert systems
                                 NN - DBMS
                           reference list wanted
               references to chaos theoretic desc. of brain.
                               TR available

Send submissions, questions, address maintenance and requests for old issues to
"neuron-request@hplabs.hp.com" or "{any backbone,uunet}!hplabs!neuron-request"
Use "ftp" to get old issues from hplpm.hpl.hp.com (15.255.176.205).

Subject: AI schools
From:    dtroup@carroll1.UUCP (David C. Troup - Skunk Works : 2600hz)
Date:    10 Nov 89 23:17:10 +0000

        Im interested in Graduate Studies after I graduate from Carroll College
        as an AI major. I would like to hear from you out there who feel
        confident obout the AI programs you are enrolled/teaching in. And if
        anyone has any recomendations for schools, I would be most interested
        in hearing from you. Thanks in advance!

"We got computers, we're tapping phone lines, knowin' that ain't allowed"__

    _______  _______________    |David C. Troup / Surf Rat
    _______)(______   |         |dtroup@carroll1.cc.edu : mail
________________________________|414-524-6809______________________________

------------------------------

From:    dtroup@carroll1.UUCP (David C. Troup - Skunk Works : 2600hz)
Date:    16 Nov 89 20:00:40 +0000

        About a week ago, I posted a message asking for info on schools from
        NetPeople who feel they're curriculum is worth suggesting to an
        undergrad AI major. The responses have been very positive, and I thank
        all of you who have sent mail to me so far. I have been suprised by the
        lack of replys from the 'Big Name' AI institutions. (or perhaps my view
        of the AI community is a little off base :-)

        Some institutions that I thought I might get some mail from would be;
        M.I.T., Carnige Mellon(sp?!), Stanford and others. I am in no way
        suggesting that I am dissapointed in the mail thus far (I am asking for
        admissions information from ALL schools that have been refered to me),
        I would just like to hear about the programs at the above mentioned
        schools.

        Thank-you to all the people who have sent me mail so far and did not
        get a personal reply from me.

Subject: Cognitive Science PhD program @ UCSD
From:    elman@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Jeff Elman)
Date:    30 Nov 89 05:24:19 +0000

Several people have enquired about graduate studies in AI, cognitive
science, and the like.  Here is a description of the program at UCSD.

              GRADUATE STUDIES IN COGNITIVE SCIENCE

               UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, SAN DIEGO

Two graduate programs in cognitive science are offered at UCSD.

PhD IN COGNITIVE SCIENCE

The Department of Cognitive Science offers a PhD in Cognitive Science.  The
core curriculum emphasizes the theoretical and empirical study of cognitive
phenomena, the neurological basis of cognitive processes, and computational
modeling (both conventional AI and connectionist approaches).  Application
deadline for fall quarter, 1990: January 15, 1990.  GRE: Verbal,
quantitative, and analytical sections required.

Faculty:
Bates, Liz, Cross-cultural issues in language acquisition, aphasia
Cicourel, Aaron, cognitive sociology
Elman, Jeff, connectionist models of speech and language understanding
Fauconnier, Gilles, semantic spaces
Hutchins, Ed, socially distributed cognition
Kirsh, David, planning, representation, foundations of AI
Kutas, Marta, electrophysiological measures of language understanding
Mandler, Jean, development of representation and understanding in children
Neville, Helen, brain development, especially with sensory deficits
Norman, Don, (chair of the department):
                 distributed cognition, cognitive engineering
Pineda, Jaime, Neurological studies of attention and decision making
Sereno, Martin, neurological studies of visual centers in primates
St.John, Mark, connectionist modeling of language understanding
Zipser, David, quantitative (connectionist) modeling of brain mechanisms

INTERDISCIPLINARY PhD PROGRAM

The Group in Cognitive Science offers a joint PhD program wherein a student
enters a home department affiliated with cognitive science (Anthropology,
Computer Science, Linguistics, Neurosciences, Sociology, Philosophy, or
Psychology) and, after a year of study in that department, applies to the
Interdisciplinary Program in Cognitive Science as well.  This program leads
to a PhD in the home department and Cognitive Science.  Contact the
relevant home department for application and admission information.

For more information contact:
Lynne Keith
Department of Cognitive Science, D-015
UC San Diego
La Jolla, CA 92093-0515
(619) 534-7141
lkeith@ucsd

------------------------------

Subject: Book on Neural Nets
From:    bms6x@uvacs.cs.virginia.edu (Brad M. Segal)
Date:    05 Dec 89 04:04:35 +0000

This was probably talked about already, but I was listening to National
Public Radio a couple weeks ago and they did a review on a new book that
had been recently published concerning the research into Neural Nets. They
did a piece on NETTALK (sp?), etc., but I can`t remember the author or the
name of the book! Someone must know out there. Thanks in advance.

Brad Segal                   "I'm goin' home... Baby doncha wanna' go
University of Virginia        I'm goin' home... Baby doncha wanna' go
Dept. of Computer Science     Back to that same ol' place, Sweet Home Chicago!"

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Book on Neural Nets
From:    bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Kort)
Date:    07 Dec 89 03:13:25 +0000

_Apprentices of Wonder: Inside the Neural Network Revolution_ by
William Allman.  A most delightful book.  I heartily recommend it.

 --Barry Kort

------------------------------

Subject: graph matching references wanted
From:    usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner)
Date:    13 Oct 89 18:09:10 +0000

I'm looking for papers about subgraph isomorphism/ best matching subgraph
using neural nets.  So far I have 1 reference:

  Paul Cooper, "Structure Recognition by Connectionist Relaxation:
     Formal Analysis", Proc. CSCSI-88.

Any other references would be greatly appreciated; if
there are enough responses I will summarize.  Please
email me at:      raja%frith.egr.msu.edu@uunet.uu.net
              OR  raja%frith.egr.msu.edu@cunyvm.cuny.edu

Thank you.

Narayan Sriranga Raja.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Graph matching references wanted
From:    usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner)
Date:    25 Oct 89 21:12:32 +0000

Here's the summary of responses I received.

Raja.

From zador-anthony@YALE.ARPA Fri Oct 13 18:35:23 1989

Gene Gindi, Eric Mjolsness, P. Anandan, Joachim Utans, and Tony Zador have
in various combinations presented papers on vision using graph-matching
neural nets.

The best ref is a paper by the 1st three of these, which appeared in
Neural Computation (T. Sejnowski's journal, i think this is what it's
called), Summer, 1989
From: jagota@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Arun Jagota)

[PS - I do have a reference to applying connectionist models to some other
graph problems. This work was done by two MS students under Michael Luby at
U. Toronto.]

On the Computational Complexity of Finding Stable State Vectors in
Connectionist Models (Hopfield Nets).  Gail H. Godbeer, John Lipscomb,
Michael Luby TR 208/88 March, 88 U. Toronto ]

From Todd.Kaufmann@NL.CS.CMU.EDU Mon Oct 16 09:48:32 1989

In the past couple months in Science there was a short paper on a NN
that could do graph planarization.. perhaps some of the references
there would lead you to other graph algorithms.
From: platt@synaptics.com (John Platt)

  The folks at Yale have been looking at NNs used for graph
problems. I think you'd be interested in the report

  "Stickville: A Neural Net for Object Recognition via Graph Matching"

  by Grant Shumaker, Gene Gindi, Eric Mjolsness, and P. Anandan,

  Report 8908, Center for Systems Science, Electrical Engineering,
Yale University, April 1989.
Sender: mackeown%compsci.bristol.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK

Here's another reference on graph-matching which may interest you:

  Von der Malsburg, C. "Pattern Recognition by Labelled Graph
  Matching", Neural Networks, Vol.1, No.2, pp.141-148, 1988.

------------------------------

Subject: Help with Biblio..
From:    tjb9779@acf5.NYU.EDU
Date:    08 Oct 89 20:04:00 +0000

I am currently doing research on Neural-Nets, but am having trouble getting
started; what I'm looking for is a basic bibliography that will get me
started.  I've read McClelland's book on NN, and some other noteworthy
books, but I need more sources, especially current articles on the topic;
any articles that are specific to the relation between the human brain and
NN, and pattern recognition with NN would be appreciated.  My address is:

tjb9779@acf5.nyu.edu
tjb9779@acf9.nyu.edu

or

booker@acf7.nyu.edu

Any responses would be helpful.  Thanks.

------------------------------

Subject: Info on NNs for Handwriting Recognition
From:    kabir!kabir@sun.com (Ihtisham Kabir)
Date:    02 Nov 89 20:08:20 +0000

Hello Everyone,

I'm interested in finding out about the application of neural network
models to handwriting recognition problems. I will be grateful to anyone
who can direct me to recent references on this subject.

Please let me know by email. Thank you very much.

 - Ihtisham Kabir

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Info on speech and neural nets
From:    woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood)
Date:    03 Nov 89 18:45:05 +0000

i'd like to second this request... i am currently trying to work out an
algorithm for using neural nets to learn/recognize speech patterns
processed by an A-D converter...

any references or citations from the literature would be greatly appreciated.

pointers to technical/algorithmic literature will get you a cookie :-)

/***   woody   ****************************************************************
*** ...tongue tied and twisted, just an earth bound misfit, I...            ***
*** -- David Gilmour, Pink Floyd                                            ***
****** woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov *** my opinions, like my mind, are my own ******/

------------------------------

Subject: Info retrieval using nert
From:    cshmok@ccvax.ucd.ie
Date:    01 Nov 89 16:27:29 +0000

    I am doing research on Info Retrieval using Neural Nts.

    Does anybody have any info related to this area ?

    If you have please contact me at:

                     in%"cshmok@ccvax.ucd.ie"

                                         Huk Mok

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Info retrieval using neural nets
From:    jr15@umd5.umd.edu (CMSC 828R)
Date:    12 Nov 89 02:08:00 +0000

Here are a few references neural nets for information retrieval:

Mozer, M. C.  Inductive Information retrieval using parallel distributed
computation.  ICS report No. 8406, Institute for cognitive science,
University of California, San Diego, 1984.

Below, R. K. Adaptive information retrieval: machine learning in
associative networks. Ph.D thesis, Univ.  Michigan, 1986.

Kwok, K. L. A neural network for probabilistic i nformation retrieval.  ACM
SIGIR'89, 21-30.

I am also doing research on neural nets for information retrieval. I would
like to see more related information exchanged in this network.

------------------------------

Subject: In search of an article...
From:    moed@mars.ral.rpi.edu (Michael Moed)
Date:    20 Nov 89 18:24:36 +0000

I am need of an article entitled

"Analyzing Cooperative Computation" by G.E. Hinton and T.J. Sejnowski

which appeared in:

Proceedings of the Fifth Annual Conference of the Cognitive
Science Society, 1983.

I think this conference was held in Rochester, N.Y.  To this date,
my library has been unable to obtain these proceedings.

I will GLADLY pay any copying/postage expenses incurred.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
 --
Michael C. Moed                                 moed@ral.rpi.edu
CII 8313, CIRSSE                                (518) 276-8782

------------------------------

Subject: journal evaluation request
From:    timpatt@augean.OZ (tim pattison)
Date:    01 Dec 89 06:20:44 +0000

I am interested in any comments you might have on the following neural
network publications:

1. "Neural Networks"
    The official journal of the International Neural Networks Society

2. "The International Journal of Neural Networks: Research and Applications"

3. "Neural Networks Today"

In particular, I am interested in any comments as to the exact type of
readership to which the journal is directed: eg. biologists, applied
mathematicians, engineers, physicists, cognitive scientists etc.  Comments
as to the general standard of the articles, degree of detail, and anything
else you can think of would also be appreciated.  Your comments are
solicited purely for the purpose of deciding which journal(s) to subscribe
to.

Please reply to me by email at timpatt@augean.ua.oz.au.  If there is
sufficient interest from those who reply, I will summarise the results and
post them to the newsgroup..

Thankyou in anticipation for your assistance,
Tim Pattison
Dept. of Elec Eng.
Univ. of Adelaide, South Australia.

------------------------------

Subject: Literature Search
From:    wlp@calmasd.Prime.COM (Walter Peterson)
Date:    09 Oct 89 23:06:58 +0000

I am looking for references to journal papers, conference proceedings or
texts that deal with the use and/or implementation of artificial neural
nets in an object-oriented language or system.  To date the only reference
that I have found has been "NeuralAgents - A Frame of Mind" by Adams and
Nabi in the OOPSLA '89 proceedings. I would be very surprised if this were
the only work that has been done on applying OOPS to neural nets and vice
versa.  Can anyone here point me to some other work that might have been
done in this area. Also, if anyone is doing work in this area, I would be
very interested in corresponding.

Please e-mail responses to me at the net address below; I'll summarize
to the net later in the week or first of next week.

Thanks in advance,

Walt Peterson

wlp@calmasd.Prime.COM

 --
Walt Peterson.  Prime - San Diego R&D (Object and Data Management Group)
"The opinions expressed here are my own."

------------------------------

Subject: Neural Net Bibliography
From:    pvjqc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Date:    01 Dec 89 22:57:53 +0000

I am looking for a bibliography on neural networks. I am wondering if
anybody knows about a source of compiled bibliography.  I would appreciate
a response.

I can be reached at the following email address.
 Prashantt@qcvax.bitne or pvjqc@cunyvm.cuny.edu

------------------------------

Subject: N.N. applications in expert systems
From:    Mine Elif Karsligil <ELIF%TRYILDIZ.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Date:    Tue, 05 Dec 89 09:56:34 -1100

I'm doing some resarches on Neural Networks and its applications in EXPERT
SYSTEMS.  Now i'm looking for articles and references.  Any information
would be useful.

Thanks in advance...

E-Mail  :  Elif at Tryildiz

Address :  Miss. Elif Karsligil
           Yildiz University
           Computer Sciences & Engineering Dept.
                                 Yildiz/ISTANBUL
                                          TURKEY

------------------------------

Subject: NN - DBMS
From:    victor%FRLRI61.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU,
         victor%FRLRI61.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Victor Cruz)
Date:    Tue, 24 Oct 89 12:23:02 +0100

Dear colleges,

   I will appreciate if you can tell me any reference which apply neural
networks to Data Base Management Systems (DBMS).

   Your help will be highly appreciated.

Victor Cruz
Laboratoire de recherche en Informatique
Paris-France

victor@lri.lri.fr

In advance, thanks a lot

------------------------------

Subject: reference list wanted
From:    lzhao@swift.cs.tcd.ie
Date:    22 Nov 89 10:07:19 +0000

I need a reference list of solving size(scale) invariance, rotation
invariance and transposition invariance problems of vision recognition by
using neural nets. Any contributor can share all the list I have. Thanks.

my e-mail address:

lzhao@cs.tcd.ie

------------------------------

Subject: references to chaos theoretic desc. of brain.
From:    sasingh@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Sanjay Singh)
Date:    03 Nov 89 20:54:09 +0000

Here are the references requested:

Chay, T.R. Abnormal discharges and chaos in a neuronal model system.
_Biological Cybernetics_. 50, 301-311

Abstract: Using the mathematical model of the pacemaker neuron formulated
by Chay, we have investigated the conditions in which a neuron can generate
chaotic signals in response to variation in temperature, ionic
compositions, chemicals, and the strength of the depolarizing current.

Choi, M.Y., and Huberman, B.A. Dynamic Behaviour of nonlinear networks.
_Phys. Rev. A_. 28, 1204-1206.

Abstract: We study the global dynamics of nonlinear networks made up of
synchronous threshold elements. By writing a master equation for the
system, we obtain an expression for the time dependence of its activity as
a function of parameter values. We show that with both excitatory and
inhibatory couplings, a network can display collective behaviour which can
be either multiple periodic or deterministic chaotic, a result that appears
to be quite general.

Grondin, R.O., et. al. Synchronous and Asynchronous Systems of Threshold
Elements. _Biological Cybernetics_. 49, 1-7.

Abstract: The role of synchronism in systems of threshold elements (such as
neural networks) is examined. Some important differences between
synchronous and asynchronous systems are outlined. In particular, important
restrictions on limit cycles are found in asynchronous systems along with
multi-frequency oscillations which do not appear in synchronous systems.
The possible role of deterministic chaos in these systems is discussed.

Guevara, M.R., Glass, L., Mackey, M.C., Shrier, A. Chaos in Neurobiology.
_IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics_. 13, 790-798.

Abstract: Deterministic mathematical models can give rise to complex
aperiodic ("chaotic") dynamics in the abscence of stochastic fluctuations
("noise") in the variables or parameters of the model or in the inputs to
the system. We show that chaotic dynamics are expected in nonlinear
feedback systems possessing time delays such as are found in recurrent
inhibition and from the periodic forcing of neural oscillators. The
implications of the possible occurrence of chaotic dynamics for
experimental work and mathematical modelling of normal and abnormal
function in neurophysiology are mentioned.

Holden, A.V., Winlow, W., and Hayden, P.G. The Induction of Periodic
and Chaotic Activity in a Molluscan Neurone. _Biological Cybernetics_.
43, 169-173.

Abstract: During prolonged exposure to extracellular 4-aminopyridine (4AP)
the periodic activity of the somatic membrane of an identified molluscan
neurone passes from a repetitive regular discharge of >90 mV amplitude
action potentials, through double discharges to <50 mV amplitude
oscillations. Return to standard saline causes the growth of parabolic
amplitude-modulated oscillations that develop, through chaotic amplitude-
modulated oscillations, into regular oscillations. These effects are
interpreted in terms of the actions of 4AP on the dynamics of the membrane
excitation equations.

Sanjay A. Singh.
sasingh@dahlia.waterloo.edu

------------------------------

Subject: TR available
From:    "Dr. Josef Skrzypek" <skrzypek@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Date:    Fri, 01 Dec 89 10:42:53 -0800

UCLA MPL TR 89-10

        Visual Recognition of Script Characters;
         Neural Network Architectures.

                     Josef Skrzypek
                      Jeff Hoffman

                 Machine Perception Laboratory
                  Computer Science Department
                   University of California
                    Los Angeles, CA 90024

Visual recognition of script characters is introduced in the context of the
neural network paradigm and the results of applying one specific neural
architecture are analyzed. First, computer classification of script
characters is partitioned into preprocessing, recognition and
postprocessing techniques which are briefly reviewed in terms of
suitability for implementation as neural net architectures. The second part
of the paper introduces one example of neural net solution to script
recognition.  Handwriting is assumed to be defined as concatenation of
ballistic hand movements where characters can be represented as functions
of position and velocity. We adapt a hypothesized model of human script
generation where characters can be composed from a limited number of basic
strokes which are learned using visual and positional feedback. The neural
representation of these characters is used for assembling motor program
during writing and it can be used for their visual recognition during
reading. A modified, three-layer "backpropagation" algorithm is used to
learn features of each single character that are independent of writing
style.  Preliminary results suggest 80% recognition rate.

End of Neurons Digest