[comp.ai.neural-nets] What has NN research taught us about the brain?

zador-anthony@CS.YALE.EDU (anthony zador) (12/20/89)

As a grad student in neuroscience studying neural nets, I was recently asked
to lead a discussion for a small seminar in the Physiology dept here to address
the question:
	 What has NN research taught us about the brain?

The seminar was organized by a professor here who studies the simultaneous activity of
some large fraction of the neurons of Aplysia. He feels that even Aplysia may
be way too complicated to understand. He wonders how we can hope to understand
how the 10^12 neurons of the brain do their stuff when even the 10^3 neurons of
Aplysia are a problem.

In any case, I had to single out some paper in the field of neural nets to
present. The idea was to convince this group of sceptics that NNets offer something
to biological understanding.

I wont tell what i chose. Rather, i'd be interested in hearing if anyone has
any ideas. Note that since the audience consisted of experimental scientists,
the goal was to find a paper that presented a *testable* (or better, tested)
hypothesis or theory, and one that they couldnt have come up with themselves.

Any ideas???

Tony Zador

bill@boulder.Colorado.EDU (12/20/89)

In article <9096@cs.yale.edu> zador-anthony@CS.YALE.EDU (anthony zador) writes:

>  [. . . I'd] be interested in hearing if anyone has
>any ideas. Note that since the audience consisted of experimental scientists,
>the goal was to find a paper that presented a *testable* (or better, tested)
>hypothesis or theory, and one that they couldnt have come up with themselves.
>
>Any ideas???

  What spring immediately to mind are David Marr's three papers on the
cerebellum (1969), cerebral cortex (1970), and hippocampus (1971).
Although each is out of date in some respects, they contain dozens of
specific predictions, some of which have been confirmed, and are
necessary reading for any neuroscientists working on these structures.

Refs:

A theory of cerebellar cortex, D Marr, J Physiol 202, pp 437-470, (1969).

A theory for cerebral cortex, D Marr, Proc Roy Soc Lond B 176,
	pp 161-234, (1970).

Simple Memory:  a theory for archicortex, D Marr, Phil Trans Roy Soc Lond 262,
	pp 23-81, (1971).

slehar@bucasd.bu.edu (Lehar) (12/20/89)

PAPER TO ADDRESS THE QUESTION "WHAT HAS NN TAUGHT US ABOUT THE BRAIN?"

My vote would go to Stephen Grossberg's models.  These models are unique in
several aspects:

  1:	the models are based on behavioral data, rather than being arbitrary
	networks that perform cute tricks, these networks are models of
	behavior of an entire organism, such as in classical conditioning,
	and have made quantitative behavioral predictions on numerous occasions

  2:	the models also extend to the neurological level, where Grossberg
	makes specific predictions about certain pathways in hippocampus,
	cerebellum, visual cortex, etc. many of which have already been
	confirmed

  3:	the models reflect the dynamic nature of brain mechanisms, being
	expressed as dynamic systems and differential equations.  This is
	an aspect of cognition which is ignored by most neural models for
	simplicity.  Grossberg's models have complicated dynamics and are
	difficult to simulate and analyze, but in return they display
	a diversity of subtle dynamic behaviors unseen in other models,
	and reminiscent of the subtle complexity of natural networks, like
	Aplysia.

  4:	Grossberg has written on so many interesting and diverse fields
	including

		vision: the boundary contour system & feature contour
		system is a network that was designed to replicate human
		visual illusions- where human vision fails, to understand
		how human vision works.  Each element of the model is
		rigorously derived from psychophysical data on illusions,
		yet they correspond remarkably with known neural architectures
		of the visual system, while making predictions about what is
		not yet known (some recently confirmed).

		motor control: Grossberg's models begin with postulates on
		whether feedback or feedforward systems are used, and results
		in a hybrid system where initial feedback errors are used to
		learn feedforward precision.  Components of the model
		correspond to known motor control architectures in limbs,
		spinal chord and cerebellum.

		cognition:  Grossberg has a whole lineage of models describing
		ever more complex aspects of classical conditioning, arousal,
		motivation, feedback, normalization of inputs, etc. culminating
		in high level cognitive models such as adaptive resonance
		theory, with neurological analogs in hippocampus, hypothalamus
		and cortex.

To me, this represents the finest in neural modeling, building models
that are inspired by behavior, making predictions about
neurophysiology, and explaining dynamic processes in the brain.

Stephen Grossberg & Dejan Todorovic NEURAL DYNAMICS OF 1-D AND 2-D
BRIGHTNESS PERCEPTION: A UNIFIED MODEL OF CLASSICAL AND RECENT
PHENOMENA Perception & Psychophysics 1987

Stephen Grossberg & Ennio Mingolla NEURAL DYNAMICS OF PERCEPTUAL
GROUPING: TEXTURES, BOUNDARIES AND EMERGENT SEGMENTATIONS Perception &
Psychophysics 1985, 38 (2) 141-171

Gail Carpenter & Stephen Grossberg A MASSIVELY PARALLEL ARCHITECTURE
FOR A SELF-ORGANIZING NEURAL PATTERN RECOGNITION MACHINE Computer
Vision, Graphics, and Image Processing 1987, 37, 54-115 Acedmic Press,
Inc.

Stephen Grossberg & Gregory Stone NEURAL DYNAMICS OF ATTENTION
SWITCHING AND TEMPORAL ORDER INFORMATION IN SHORT TERM MEMORY Memory
and Cognition 1986, 14 (6), 451-468

Stephen Grossberg & Daniel S. Levine   NEURAL DYNAMICS OF ATTENTIONALLY
MODULATED PAVLOVIAN CONDITIONING: BLOCKING, INTER-STIMULUS INTERVAL,
AND SECONDARY REINFORCEMENT   Applied Optics 1987, 26, 5015-5030

Steven Grossberg & Nestor A. Schmajuk  NEURAL DYNAMICS OF ATTENTIONALLY
MODULATED PAVLOVIAN CONDITIONING: CONDITIONED REINFORCEMENT, INHIBITION,
AND OPPONENT PROCESSING   Psychobiology 1987, 15, 195-240

Daniel Bullock and Steven Grossberg   NEURAL DYNAMICS OF PLANNED ARM
MOVEMENTS: EMERGENT INVARIANTS AND SPEED-ACCURACY PROPERTIES DURING
TRAJECTORY FORMATION
--
(O)((O))(((              slehar@bucasb.bu.edu              )))((O))(O)