[comp.ai.neural-nets] Harmony theory - looking for references and clues

jagversm@praxis.cs.ruu.nl (Koen Versmissen) (03/20/90)

I'm to give a talk in a seminar on neural nets shortly, and I thought
Harmony theory would be an interesting subject. I have a few questions
though:
- I only know harmony theory through Paul Smolensky's chapter in the
  Rumelhart & McClelland PDP-book. What have been the developments
  since? References to important articles would be most welcome (even
  though it may be too late for me to use them in the preparation of
  my talk).
- I hope someone can shed some light on something that I found
  particlularly puzzling in Smolensky's article:
  Harmony theory claims to be psychologically relevant ("... these
  dynamical systems can serve as models of human cognition", p. 195).
  Now neurons are not (or at best hardly) probabilistic, right? How
  then can harmony theory claim to provide a _micro-level_ description
  of the mind? Shouldn't it rather be called an _intermediate level_
  description? After all, an account of how probabilistic units can be
  implemented (or rather, simulated) by means of, say, deterministic
  threshold units, is still needed.
  Does all this make some sense?
  (N.B. even though Smolensky stresses the importance of taking small
   steps, I find it strange that he didn't mention the above issue at
   all).
- The same question as the above, but now concerning symmetric
  connections in Harmony theory, as opposed to asymmetry in the brain.

Koen

Koen Versmissen
(jagversm@praxis.cs.ruu.nl)

bill@boulder.Colorado.EDU (03/21/90)

In article <2693@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl> jagversm@praxis.cs.ruu.nl
(Koen Versmissen) writes:
>  Now neurons are not (or at best hardly) probabilistic, right?

	I can't claim any particular expertise with respect to Harmony
theory, but I can tell you that most neurons (and all the ones thought
to be involved in cognition) are extremely probabilistic.  There are
a number of factors (variable amount of neurotransmitter released by
a synapse; random opening and closing of channels; etc.) combining to
make it unpredictable when a given cell will fire -- in addition,
because of the all-or-nothing character of firing, any moderately
complex system of neurons will form a chaotic system (in the dynamical
systems sense), so that quantum uncertainties will quickly be
amplified into global randomness.
	There was a book published a few years ago devoted to analyzing
the stochastic behavior of neurons; the title was something like
"Stochastic Analysis of Neural Activity."  (I don't have the reference,
and I don't know the author; it's not in our library.)

>                                                                  How
>  then can harmony theory claim to provide a _micro-level_ description
>  of the mind? Shouldn't it rather be called an _intermediate level_
>  description?

	I believe you are right that the units of Harmony theory are
not necessarily intended to correspond to biological neurons:  the
theory is "micro" level in comparison to the "macro" level of explicit
rules, not in any physiological sense.

>- The same question as the above, but now concerning symmetric
>  connections in Harmony theory, as opposed to asymmetry in the brain.

	The question of symmetry in the brain remains open.  If indeed
the brain makes use of Harmony-style relaxation-calculations, they
probably take place in restricted subnetworks confined to relatively
small portions of the cerebral cortex -- and there are in fact classes
of local connections in cortex which are roughly symmetric.  (Of course
there are also a great many classes of asymmetric connections.)
	The "style" of computation in the brain is something neuroscience
has at present few effective ways of investigating.

	-- Bill Skaggs