[comp.ai.neural-nets] a NN for learning UNIX programs

mpf@csli.Stanford.EDU (Michael Frank) (03/18/90)

The following is the abstract of my final project for David
Rumelhart's introductory class here at Stanford.  Anyone interested,
send me email, and I'll send you the rest of the paper, and source for
the program (in UNIX C with Curses) if you so desire.

        A user-friendly program was created to connect a recurrent PDP
network to arbitrary UNIX programs, in such a way that the network
could learn through back-propagation to predict the program's textual
response to characters in an input stream.  In numerous experiments,
the network was able to learn, for an impressive variety of simple
programs and input regimens, to predict exactly what the next text
character produced by the UNIX program would be.  Results of these
experiments are described, and a proposal is made for future work that
would see if a PDP network could be made to explore complex UNIX
programs on its own.  The UNIX environment is promoted as a good
testbed "world" that proposed mind-emulating programs could learn to
explore.

Thanks,
  , ,                       __
 /|/| .  _ l_   _   _  l   l_  _  _  ,_  l,
/ | | l (_ | | (_l (-' |   |  |  (_l | | |\

mpf@csli.stanford.edu   bugboy@portia.stanford.edu
bugboy%portia@stanford.bitnet    - or use the friendly Return-Path!

bugboy@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Frank) (03/22/90)

In <12724@csli.Stanford.EDU> I wrote:
>The following is the abstract of my final project for David
>Rumelhart's introductory class here at Stanford.  Anyone interested,
>send me email, and I'll send you the rest of the paper, and source for
>the program (in UNIX C with Curses) if you so desire.
>        A user-friendly program was created to connect a recurrent PDP
>network to arbitrary UNIX programs, in such a way that the network
>could learn through back-propagation to predict the program's textual
>response to characters in an input stream.  In numerous experiments,
>the network was able to learn, for an impressive variety of simple
>programs and input regimens, to predict exactly what the next text
>character produced by the UNIX program would be.  Results of these
>experiments are described, and a proposal is made for future work that
>would see if a PDP network could be made to explore complex UNIX
>programs on its own.  The UNIX environment is promoted as a good
>testbed "world" that proposed mind-emulating programs could learn to
>explore.

Due to the large number of requests I've received for the paper and program,
I'm making them available for anonymous FTP from csli.Stanford.EDU.
They are in /usr/ftp/pub/neunix.
E.g.,
	ftp csli.stanford.edu
	anonymous