[comp.ai.neural-nets] Neural Nets and forecasting

ilo0005@discg1.UUCP (cherie homaee) (05/30/90)

Has anyone used neural nets for forecasting? If so have you used any
other neural paradigm other than back-propagation?

zt@beach.cis.ufl.edu (tang) (05/31/90)

In article <3820@discg1.UUCP> ilo0005@discg1.UUCP (cherie homaee) writes:

>Has anyone used neural nets for forecasting? If so have you used any
>other neural paradigm other than back-propagation?

We have done some experiments with time series forecasting using back-
propagation. Our results show that neural nets perform well compared with
traditional methods, especially for long term forecasting. Our initial report
will appear in the proceedings of the "First Workshop on Neural Networks,
Auburn, 1990".

See also "Neural Networks as Forecasting Experts: An Empirical Test,
Proceedings of the IJCNN Meeting, Washington, 1990", by Sharda and Patil.