Subject: Special Issue on Neural Networks
From:    Alexander Linden <hplabs!gmdzi!al>
Date:    Thu, 31 May 90 09:31:58 -0200

Special Issue on Neural Networks in Parallel Computing
(To appear in August)

This special issue focuses on the third generation of neural networks,
which can be characterized as being heterogeneous, modular and
asynchronous.

Contents:

H. Muehlenbein:    Limitations of Multilayer Perceptrons:
                   Towards Genetic Neural Networks

F. Smieja:         The Geometry of Multilayer Perceptron Solutions
H. Muehlenbein

J. Kindermann:     Inversion of Neural Networks by Gradient Descent
A. Linden

T. E. Lange:       Simulation of Heterogeneous Neural Networks on
                   Serial and Parallel Machines

A. Singer:         Implementations of Artificial Neural Networks on the
                   Connection Machine

X. Zhang:          The Backpropagation Algorithm on Grid and Hypercube
et al.             Architectures

M. Witbrock:       An Implementation of Backpropagation Learning on GF11,
M. Zagha           a large SIMD Parallel Computers

D. Whitley:        Genetic Algorithms and Neural Networks: Optimizing
et al.             Connections and Connectivity

M. Tenorio:        Topology Synthesis Networks: Self Organization of
                   Structure and Weight Adjustment as a Learning
                   Paradigm

K. Obermayer:      Large Scale Simulations of Self-Organizing Neural
                   Networks on Parallel Computers: Application for
                   Biological Modelling

R. Kentridge:      Neural Networks for Learning in the Real World:
                   Representation, Reinforcement and Dynamics

HOW TO ORDER:

The publisher is offering a special service. Copies of this issue at a
price of $25 can be obtained from

         Dr. F. van Drunen
         Elsevier Science Publishers
         Mathematics and Computer Science Section
         P.O. BOX 103
         1000 AC Amsterdam
         The Netherlands
         FAX: +31-10-5862-616

Copies of the first three papers can be got from

           GMD
           c/o Sekretariat Z1.HLRZ
           P.O. BOX 1240
           D-5205 Sankt Augustin 1
           West Germany
           FAX +49 - 2241 - 142618

Heinz Muehlenbein

------------------------------

Subject: Neuron Digest Submission
From:    erik%adams.llnl.gov@lll-lcc.llnl.gov (ERIK JOHANSSON)
Date:    Thu, 31 May 90 09:11:42 -0700

I have subscribed to the digest for a couple of months now, but have not
submitted anything.  Judging by the recent traffic, I feel now is the
time.

I am a research engineer at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory,
working in the areas of signal and image processing and neural network
applications.  We have a neural network working group of 10 - 12 people
which meets on a regular basis.  Our applications and areas of interest
include: pattern recognition, parallel implementations of NNs using
systolic arrays, signal detection and estimation, image data analysis,
chemical data analysis (chemometrics), optimization methods, NN theory,
and architectures.

I am working on optimization methods and chemical data analysis.  In
December of last year, I successfully applied the conjugate gradient
optimization method to backpropagation networks.  The results were
excellent, and I'm almost finished with a paper comparing back
propagation with several different forms of the conjugate gradient method
(the paper would have been completed some time ago, but my work schedule
would not permit it).  I should have it finished in about 1 - 2 weeks,
and as soon as I get a publication release from the lab, I will make
preprints available on the net. I am briefly summarizing the results in
this submission.

To begin with, I needed some kind of metric to use in comparing the
performance of conventional backpropagation (with momentum) against the
conjugate gradient method.  I agree with recent statements in the digest
that the number of cycles or iterations is not a valid metric, since in
backpropagation the training set is passed through the network once per
iteration, whereas in the conjugate gradient method the training set can
be passed through several times in a single iteration.  The majority of
the CPU time required to train a backpropagation network is spent
computing the error function and the gradient of the error function.
Computing the error function requires forward propagating the entire
training set through the network.  Computing the gradient requires
backpropagating the outputs from each pattern in the training set
(computed during the forward propagation) through the network.

Conventional backpropagation requires one forward propagation and one
backpropagation per iteration.  The conjugate gradient method will have
several forward and back propagations at each iteration.  The number of
forward and back propagations may or may not be the same, depending on
the type of line search (1-D minimization) used.  Some line searches use
both the function value and the gradient at each step, some use only the
function value, and some use a combinations of the two.  It seems to me
that since most of the CPU time is spent computing the error function and
gradient, the logical metric for comparison is the total number of
function calculations AND the total number of gradient calculations
required to train a network.

Using this metric, I have compared backpropagation with the conjugate
gradient method.  For the conjugate gradient method, I used a cubic
approximation line search which computes function values and gradient
values at each step.  Therefore, the number of function and gradient
calculations are identical.  Since this is also the case with
conventional backpropagation, I have reduced the original metric to just
'function evaluations' for simplicity.

I chose the parity problem as a benchmark test.  I realize many people
feel the parity problem is somewhat trivial; however, the error surfaces
are very complex (I've looked at slices along search directions, and the
error functions are EXTREMELY nonlinear).  This nonlinearity presents
quite a challenge to optimization techniques, and hence makes for a nice
benchmark.  I tested both one and two hidden layer networks on 3, 4, and
5 bit parity problems (i.e. 3-3-1, 3-3-3-1, 4-4-1, 4-4-4-1, 5-5-1, and
5-5-5-1 architectures).  I used a full training set for each test (2^nth
patterns), with a stopping criterion of 1.e-6 for the normalized system
error (the average of the pattern errors).  In addition, the number of
function evaluations were limited to 50000 - the optimization terminated
if this limit was reached.  The weights were initialized to random
numbers uniformly distributed between -0.5 and +0.5.

The backpropagation tests were performed using several combinations of
step size and momentum.  I tested several versions of the conjugate
gradient method: Fletcher-Reeves, Polak-Ribiere, Hestenes-Steifel, and
Shanno's method.  Each method was tested using several values of the
linesearch termination critrerion (too complex to explain here - the
paper will explain in detail).  In addition, I ran the tests using pure
steepest descent with a linesearch.  The results are summarized below;
only the best results for each test are shown.

We found the conjugate gradient method to be at least 15 times faster
than conventional backpropagation, and in most cases many times faster.
In addition, our experience involving problems of considerable size has
shown that the conjugate gradient method is much faster in general than
conventional backpropagation.

Test Results:

BP - Backpropagation
FR - Fletcher - Reeves
PR - Polak - Ribiere
HS - Hestenes - Steifel
SH - Shanno
SD - Steepest descent

3 bit parity, 1 hidden layer (3-3-1):

Method         # Func. Evals          Error         speedup over BP
FR                  264              9.48e-7             7.0
PR                  123              8.29e-7            15.0
HS                  121              7.02e-8            15.2
SH                  191              5.45e-7             9.6
SD                  616              9.91e-7             3.0
BP                 1843              9.98e-7
(BP stepsize 0.9, momentum 0.9)

3 bit parity, 2 hidden layers (3-3-3-1)

Method         # Func. Evals          Error         speedup over BP
FR                  372              7.47e-7             8.3
PR                  200              7.87e-7            15.4
HS                  239              9.11e-7            12.9
SH                  275              7.33e-7            11.2
SD                 1148              9.69e-7             2.7
BP                 3078              9.81e-7
(BP stepsize 0.9, momentum 0.9)

4 bit parity, 1 hidden layer (4-4-1)

Method         # Func. Evals          Error         speedup over BP
FR                 1617              9.55e-7             NA
PR                  461              9.39e-7             NA
HS                  306              8.59e-7             NA
SH                 2079              8.71e-7             NA
SD                 5505              9.99e-7             NA
BP                50000              1.60e-2 (did not converge)

4 bit parity, 2 hidden layers (4-4-4-1)

Method         # Func. Evals          Error         speedup over BP
FR                  737              9.88e-7             18.3
PR                  401              7.01e-7             33.6
HS                  429              9.09e-7             31.4
SH                  560              9.96e-7             24.0
SD                 1840              9.98e-7              7.3
BP                13462              9.90e-7
(BP stepsize 0.7, momentum 0.7)

5 bit parity, 1 hidden layer (5-5-1)

Method         # Func. Evals          Error         speedup over BP
FR                 2145              9.74e-7             11.7
PR                 1966              7.76e-7             12.8
HS                 3249              8.89e-7              7.7
SH                  750              8.97e-7             33.4
SD                11894              9.99e-7              2.1
BP                25087              9.98e-7
(BP stepsize 0.9, momentum 0.9)

5 bit parity, 2 hidden layers (5-5-5-1)

Method         # Func. Evals          Error         speedup over BP
FR                 1561              9.42e-7             NA
PR                 1343              9.91e-7             NA
HS                 1165              9.56e-7             NA
SH                 1890              9.86e-7             NA
SD                 9500              9.99e-7             NA
BP                50000              8.00e-2 (did not converge)

In all of the above tests, some form of the conjugate gradient method was
always at least 15 times faster than backpropagation.  In most cases,
most notably those where backprop did not converge, it is many times
faster.

The conjugate gradient method can get stuck in local minima; however, the
algorithm can be modified to detect this and use a simple pattern search
to get out of the minimum, and then continue with the conjugate gradient
method.  In addition, my experience using the algorithm on pattern
recognition problems has shown that when the algorithm gets stuck, it is
usually due to a large "flat" plateau in the error surface where the
gradient becomes quite small, not a well defined local minimum.  Again,
the use of a pattern search (a systematic search through the error space)
can resolve this problem.

In general, I find the conjugate gradient method to be quite superior to
conventional backpropagation. Indeed, from an optimization viewpoint, the
idea of using a fixed step size is not a good one: the move taken can
either be so small that it would take an exceedingly long time to
converge, or so large that the minimum is missed and the algorithm
oscillates about the minimum, converging very slowly.  The linesearch in
the conjugate gradient method corrects this problem by finding the
minimum along a search direction at each iteration to an accuracy
specified by the user.  As with many complex numerical algorithms, the
conjugate gradient method may require the use of double precision
variables (this is problem dependent), but the speedup is well worth the
small increase in computation.

The paper, which will be completed shortly, has a detailed tutorial
derivation of the conjugate gradient method, an explanationm of its
application to the backpropagation learning problem, and a complete
listing of all the test results.

I look forward to any comments or questions the digest readers may
have.

Sincerely,

Erik M. Johansson
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
PO Box 808, L-156
Livermore, CA 94550

erik@adams.llnl.gov
(415) 423-9255

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not
necessarily represent the views of Lawrence Livermore National
Laboratory, the University of California, or the U.S. Government.

------------------------------

Subject: UPDATED program info for: 6/16 NEURAL NETS FOR DEFENSE Conference
From:    neuron-request@hplabs.hpl.hp.com
Date:    Thu, 31 May 90 10:43:28 -0700

[[ Editor's Note:  Comments directly relevant to the charter of this
Digest - artificial and natutal neural networks - are always welcome.  A
reminder, however, that general pro-/anti- defense debates are
appropriate in a different forum. -PM ]]

UPDATED Program and Registration information for:

                 The Second Annual Conference on
                   NEURAL NETWORKS FOR DEFENSE

             Conference Chair: Prof. Bernard Widrow

             June 16th, 1990: ** The day before IJCNN **
                  San Diego Marriot, San Diego, CA

 "Neural Networks for Defense" is organized to encourage and promote
the transfer of neural network technology to practical defense-
oriented applications.

PROGRAM (June 16th, 1990):
==========================

MORNING:__________________________________________________________________
8:15am-8:45am

Mark A. Gluck (Stanford University):
        "Opening remarks"
Robert Kolesar (Deputy Director for Adv. Technology, Naval Ocean Systems
Center)
        "Defense funding of neural networks:
            A programmatic overview of 6.1 -> 6.3 efforts"

8:45-10:30 PANEL SYMPOSIUM: INTERNAL DOD LABORATORIES______________________
Steven Speidel (Naval Ocean Systems Center)
        "A neural target locator"
Steven Anderson (Captain, USAF; Air Force Weapons Laboratory, KAFB,NM)
        "Neural networks for signal processing and pattern recognition"
Steven K. Rogers (Major, USAF; Air Force Institute of Technology, WPAFB, OH)
        "Artificial Neural Networks for Automatic Target Recognition"
David Andes (Director of Neural Network R&D, Naval Weapons Center, China Lake)
        "Artificial neural computing at the Naval Weapons Center"

10:30-11:00am COFFEE BREAK

11:00-12:30 PANEL SYMPOSIUM: SBIR SUPPORT OF NN R&D:_________________________
Craig Will (Editor, Neural Network Review)
        "An overview of neural network research in the SBIR program"
Vincent D. Schaper (Navy SBIR Manager)
        "The DoD SBIR program"
Luis Lopez (US Army Strategic Defense Command)
        "U.S. Army Strategic Defense Commands' SBIR Neural Network Programs"
Robert L. Dawes (President, Martingale Research Corporation)
        "Observations on the SBIR program by a successful participant"
James Johnson (Regional Vice President, Netrologic)
        "SBIRs: A contractor and government perspective"

12:30-2:00 AFTER-LUNCH SPEAKER: Bernard Widrow (Stanford University)

2:00-4:00
2:00-4:00 SESSION: PROGRESS IN DEFENSE APPLICATONS:__________________________
Edward Rosenfeld (Intelligence Newsletter)
        "Overview of Industry efforts in Neural Networks for Defense"
David Hamilton (Senior Development Engineer, Raytheon Submarine Signal Div.)
        "Neural Network Defense Applications within Raytheon"
Robert North (President, HNC, Inc.)
        "Neural Network Defense Applications at HNC"
Rich Peer (Senior Manager, McDonnel Douglas)
        "Neural Network Applications at McDonnell Douglas"
Donald F. Specht (Senior Scientist, Lockheed Research Laboratory)
        "Hardware Implementation of Neural Networks"
Joseph Walkush (SAIC)
        "Neural Networks for Defense and Security at SAIC"

4:00-4:30 -- COFFEE BREAK

4:30-5:30 PANEL SYMPOSIUM: FORGING TRANSITIONS BETWEEN UNIVERSITIES AND
          FOR ADVANCED APPLICATIONS OF NN FOR DEFENSE_______________________
Thomas McKenna (Scientific Officer, Office of Naval Research"
        "Navy Transition Paths from Basic to Applied Research"
James Anderson (Prof. of Cognitive Science, Brown University)
        "Highs and lows: A case study"
Terrence Sejnowski (Institute for Neural Computation, UC, San Diego/Salk Institute)
        "Case history of a successful university-industry cooperative venture"

REGISTRATION:
=============

This meeting is UNCLASSIFIED but limited to those with an
explicit "need-to-know" and a clear professional commitment to the
defense and security interests of the United States.

  ***** ATTENDANCE IS STRICTLY LIMITED TO U.S. CITIZENS ONLY. *********

NOTE: Special Registration Fee Discounts for DoD Employees &
      University Scientists working on DoD 6.1 Research

For further information, or to register, contact:
        Lynne Mariani, Registration Coordinator
        Neural Networks for Defense
        500 Howard St.
        San Francisco, CA 94105
               Phone: (415) 995-2471
                 FAX: (415) 995-2494

------------------------------

Subject: TIME-SENSITIVE - DoD small Business Innovation Research Program
From:    will@ida.org (Craig Will)
Date:    Thu, 31 May 90 16:29:36 -0400

Please get this out quickly because if its nature.  Tks, Craig Will

                        Department of Defense

              Small Business Innovation Research Program

     The U. S. Department of Defense has announced an unusual mid-year
solicitation  for proposals for the Small Business Innovation Research
(SBIR) program.
     The list of topics included in these soliciations is  of  general
interest in that they reflect the increasing level of interest by mil-
itary agencies in neural network technology and  their  perception  of
the  kinds  of  applications  they  are interested in solving with the
technology.
     In the current solicitation only the Army, Navy,  and  DARPA  are
participating;  the  Air  Force and SDIO are not.  There are 11 topics
specifically targeting neural networks, and at  least  2  more  topics
that  specifically mention neural networks as possible approaches that
might be used.
     The program is in three Phases.  Phase I awards  are  essentially
feasibility  studies  of  6  months  and with a dollar amount of about
$50,000, intended for a one-half person-year effort.  Phase I contrac-
tors  compete  for  Phase  II  awards  of  2 years in length and up to
$500,000, intended for 2 to 5 person-years of effort.   Phase  III  is
the commercial application phase of the research.
     Proposals must be no longer than 25 pages  in  length,  including
the  cover sheet, summary, cost proposal, resumes and any attachments.
Deadline for proposals is July 2, 1990.
     Principal investigators must be employees (50% or more  time)  of
small business firms.  The program encourages small businesses to make
use of university-based and other consultants when appropriate.
     The topics listed below are those that are specifically  targeted
to  or  mention  neural  networks specifically as possible approaches:
Many other topics describe application and problem  areas  that  could
also be solved with these approaches.

     A90-215  Neural Network  Based  Classification  Demonstration  of
Vehicle  from  Laser  Radar  and Infrared Data.  (Exploratory Develop-
ment).  Development of methods to classify  military  vehicles  (e.g.,
distinguish  a  tank  from  a  truck).using  laser  radar and infrared
images.  Phase I involves development  of  a  neural  network  vehicle
classifier  based  on laser rader data.  Phase II involves integrating
laser radar and infrared imagery together ``to  demonstrate  a  multi-
sensor  classifier  showing high probability of classification and low
false-alarm rate."

     A90-227  Application of Neural Networks to Command  and  Control.
(Exploratory  Development).   Apply  neural  networks to ``information
processing and decision making in  a  command  and  control  operating
environment."   Neural  networks are seen as having ``promise for pro-
viding significant improvements in reaction times by providing quantum
leaps  in the ability to quickly process information and perform deci-
sion aid tasks".  Phase I involves development of a plan  and  demons-
tration  software.  Phase II involves the ``development and testing of
a working system in a field environment."

     A90-236  VHSIC Application to Neural Network Systems.   (Explora-
tory   Development).   Investigate  application  of  Very  High  Speed
Integrated Circuit technology to the problem of electronically  imple-
menting neural networks that require very large connectivity.  Phase I
involves ``identification of specific very large Neural Networks which
could  be  implemented  using  VHSIC  technology, and development of a
demonstratable design".  Phase II involves ``fabrication and test of a
hardware brassboard for one or more specific applications".

     A90-246  Neural Network Sensor Fusion for  Apache  Escort  Jammer
Countermeasure  Systems.  (Exploratory Development).  Develop a system
using neural networks that  can  provide  improved  awareness  of  the
situation  and management of electronic countermeasures for a pilot in
an electronic warfare environment.  The system should provide improved
accuracy  and/or increased processing speed.  Phase II involves defin-
ing the network architecture and training, and possibly  simulate  and
test  the network in a demonstration setting.  Phase II involves simu-
lating the network ``in a manner  than  approaches  real-time  perfor-
mance,"  test  it,  embed  the  net  in  an Apache Escort system [that
manages countermeasures] and demonstrate its capabilities.

     A90-428  Neural Network Software  /  Hardware  for  Directed  and
Kinetic   Energy   Anti-satellite   (ASAT)   Weapons  System.   (Basic
Research).  Development of ``new and innovating neural  network  algo-
rithms  and  architectures  that  will  aid in developing a real-time,
economical and reliable  kinetic  and  directed  energy  antisatellite
(ASAT)  weapons  system."   Problems  include ``weapons pointing, beam
control, acquisition, tracking, sensor focal planes, signal  and  data
processing,  guidance  and control algorithms, control of cryocoolers,
[and] array image processing".  Phase I involves demonstration of con-
cept  by  simulation  or  prototype  development.   Phase  II involves
``incorporating the principle developed in Phase I into  a  prototype"
or showing proof of feasibility for a demonstration phase.

     N90-317  Neural Network Applications for  Nondestructive  Inspec-
tion  of  Aircraft.   (Research).  Develop new approaches to automatic
inspection of aircraft that is  nondestructive.   X-ray,  ultra-sonic,
eddy-current,  and  acoustic sensors are typically used to detect such
flaws as cracks, voids, porosity,  incudisions,  delaminations,  pits,
corrosion, etc.  Neural networks are seen as a way of integrating this
sensor data  so  as  to  recognize  specific  flaws.   Neural  network
approaches for ``robotic sensor placement" are also of interest.

     N90-351  Artificial Intelligence and Neural Network  Technologies
for   Mission   Planning  and  Execution  Applications.   (Exploratory
Development).  Application of AI and neural network techniques to help
automate or assist in the planning and execution of missions.  Goal is
to develop techniques that can  result  in  a  fielded  system  within
``five  to  fifteen  years".   Phase  I involves assessment of mission
planning and  identification  of  promising  technologies.   Phase  II
involves  building a demonstration system using the concepts developed
in Phase I.

     N90-372  Neural Network Applications to Flight Control  (Explora-
tory Development).  Investigate potential for using neural networks to
help stabilize a high-performance  aircraft in flight that is  subject
to  changing environmental conditions as well as instabilities result-
ing from its own dynamics.  Phase I involves development  and  demons-
tration  by simulation of a network architecture that can stabilize an
aircraft.  Phase II expands to ``provide robust control and stabiliza-
tion  features  in  a distributed neural network having excellent sur-
vivability and fault tolerant properaties."

     N90-384  LSI (Large System Integrated) Neural Networks for  Asso-
ciative  Memory  Arrays.   (Advanced Development).  Investigate neural
network  architectures  and  hardware  implementation  techniques  for
contstruction  of  ``an  associative memory array" based on artificial
neural networks to ultimately achieve 10 ** 11 and 10 ** 12  intercon-
nects  /  second" for application to video and audio ``matching" prob-
lems.  Phase I involves investigating  materials,  devices,  architec-
tures,  and  modeling.  Phase II involves ``a technology demonstration
illustrating the several orders of magnitude  improvement  offered  by
the physical use of VLSI associative memory arrays based on ANNs."

     DARPA 90-115  Unique Applications for Artificial Neural Networks.
(Exploratory Development).  Identification and development of applica-
tions that can show ``outstanding potential to demonstrate  particular
advantages  of  artificial  neural  networks...in systems that perform
challenging tasks that are at or beyond the limits  of  capability  of
conventional  information processing systems."  Applications that help
discover ``important unusual and under-recognized `niches'" for neural
networks are particularly sought.  Phase I involves a providing a con-
ceptual  design  and  laboratory  demonstration.   Phase  I   involves
building a compact prototype system.

     DARPA  90-124   Artificial  Neural  Network  Target   Recognition
Demonstration.  (Basic Research).  Develop hardware for implementing a
specific neural network algorithm that has been developed by the  Army
for  object  extracting-classifying  pixels in an image into candidate
regions suggesting objects.  Details of the  algorithm  will  be  fur-
nished  by  DARPA ``as required".  Phase I involves design and demons-
tration of a candidate hardware approach that  shows  scalability  and
real-time  operation.   Phase II involves building a full-scale, real-
time hardware system that can process  real  images  as  a  laboratory
demonstration.  ``

     Topics A90-430 and A90-473 also specifically mention  the  possi-
blity of using neural network approaches, while many other topics  are
also presumably candidates.

     For more details on the July, 1990 soliciation obtain a  copy  of
the  SBIR  Program  Solicitation  book  (229 pages in length) from the
Defense Technical Information Center:  Attn:  DTIC/SBIR,  Building  5,
Cameron  Station,  Alexandria, Virginia 22304-6145.  Telephone:  Toll-
free, (800) 368-5211.  For Virginia, Alaska, Hawaii: (202) 274-6902.

    Craig A. Will
    Computer and Software Enginering Division
    Institute for Defense Analyses
    Alexandria, VA
    will@ida.org

End of Neuron Digest [Volume 6 Issue 37]