[comp.ai.neural-nets] Neuron Digest V6 #39

neuron-request@HPLABS.HPL.HP.COM ("Neuron-Digest Moderator Peter Marvit") (06/07/90)

Neuron Digest   Wednesday,  6 Jun 1990
                Volume 6 : Issue 39

Today's Topics:
                     Re: Neural Nets and forecasting
                    Introduction to some work at NASA
                         Symbol Train Processing
      submission to net: Time-Frequency Distributions & Neural Nets
                         Networks for stereopsis
       Recent trends of applying NNs in digital signal processing
                     Implementations of ART2 wanted.
                            ART2 Source Code
                            Final call HICSS
                         UCLA-SFINX NN Simulator

Send submissions, questions, address maintenance and requests for old issues to
"neuron-request@hplabs.hp.com" or "{any backbone,uunet}!hplabs!neuron-request"
Use "ftp" to get old issues from hplpm.hpl.hp.com (15.255.176.205).

Subject: Re: Neural Nets and forecasting
From:    zt@beach.cis.ufl.edu (tang)
Date:    30 May 90 22:12:56 +0000

In article <3820@discg1.UUCP> ilo0005@discg1.UUCP (cherie homaee) writes:

>Has anyone used neural nets for forecasting? If so have you used any
>other neural paradigm other than back-propagation?

We have done some experiments with time series forecasting using back-
propagation. Our results show that neural nets perform well compared with
traditional methods, especially for long term forecasting. Our initial
report will appear in the proceedings of the "First Workshop on Neural
Networks, Auburn, 1990".

See also "Neural Networks as Forecasting Experts: An Empirical Test,
Proceedings of the IJCNN Meeting, Washington, 1990", by Sharda and Patil.

------------------------------

Subject: Introduction to some work at NASA
From:    "Eric Bobinsky" <cabobin@earth.lerc.nasa.gov>
Date:    01 Jun 90 11:38:00 -0400

Salutations!  I am a recent subscriber to the Digest, and I though it
might be appropriate to briefly describe our neural network research
program to elicit a response from other readers with similar interests
and inclinations.  I am with the NASA Lewis Research Center in Cleveland
(yes, Cleveland!), which is NASA's lead center for satellite
communications research.  In the past two years we began a program with
the goal of trying to apply neural network technology to the problems of
enhancing the operational capabilities and service lifetimes of advanced
satellite communication systems.

To date, we have been working-- either directly or through university
grants-- in the areas of applying neural nets to advanced satellite
switching controllers, video image data compression, signal processing
(particularly high-speed demodulation and decoding), and autonomous
communication network control.  In addition, our neural net program is
tied into a much broader program in the development of advanced digital
technology for high-rate modulation and coding.

I'd be pleased to hear from anyone out there working in these or similar
areas with whom we haven't already made acquaintance!  My physical (as
opposed to logical) address is:

                           Eric Bobinsky
                           MS 5408
                           (sorry, that's 54-8)
                           Space Communications Division
                           NASA Lewis Research Center
                           Cleveland, Ohio  44135

Tel:  216-433-3497
FAX:  216-433-6371

------------------------------

Subject: Symbol Train Processing
From:    coopere@rocky2.rockefeller.edu (Ellis D. Cooper)
Date:    04 Jun 90 17:49:33 +0000

Symbol Train Processing
Ellis D. Cooper
June 1, 1990

The goal of neuroscience is to understand the
 fundamental principles of the brain. Communication,
 analysis and simulation of mental models of the
 underlying molecular, neuronal and network mechanisms
 could benefit from a standardized graphical programming
 language. Symbol train processing (STP) is a vivid
 modeling language with the added advantage of not
 presuming that neurons and other brain structures
 communicate with numbers, e.g., the activation levels
 of connectionism. Instead, symbol train processing
 assumes that brain structures communicate at all levels
 by emitting and absorbing sequences of symbols, only
 some of which might be numbers. A computer program,
 ChemiKine, for simulating a wide range of chemical
 kinetic systems using symbol train processing is
 available. For general symbol train processing,
 however, the Mathematica STP Notebook provides an
 object-oriented interpreter.

Most neuroscientists believe that understanding the
 principles of the brain depends on developing theories
 of biological phenomena occurring on spatial scales
 from 0.1 meter to 1.0  thousandth of a meter in
 networks of neurons connected across electro-chemical
 synapses. Physically, a biological neural network is a
 dynamical system whose  state  space has an extremely
 large number of dimensions, not just because a
 biological neural network has a large number of
 synapses and neurons, but also because each synapse and
 neuron has many characteristic electrical potential and
 chemical concentration variables. Intractably complex
 phenomena inevitably generate diverse inquiries based
 on simplifying assumptions. Each  inquiry hopes to
 provide new scientific illumination or technological
 applications.

One technologically fruitful  model of biological neural
 networks has been the connectionist network model. Its
 adequacy for neuroscientific understanding is more
 controversial. I am particularly interested in
 assumptions relating to the character and significance
 of spike trains. In connectionist networks the spike
 train is reduced to a single continuous state variable,
 the activation level of an abstract neurons output.
 A large corpus of neuroscience research is based on
 essentially the same abstraction of a spike train.
 There is also a large corpus of research in which this
 assumption is rejected. In fact, complex  temporal
 patterns of action potentials are taken by many
 researchers to define the information produced by
 biological neurons.

In connectionist networks the abstract neurons are
 passive, non-linear integrators of their inputs, whose
 properties are determined by coefficients in linear
 expressions - the weights. By contrast, biological
 neurons are active units with variable operating modes,
 including oscillator and resonator behavior. It is also
 implicit in the connectionist model that the individual
 spikes occurring in a spike train must all be
 identical. Biological neurons actually produce spikes
 of different shapes.

The choice of simplifying assumptions to model a real
 system must be governed by criteria of verisimilitude,
 mathematical tractability, and computability. It can
 happen that it is expedient to give the latter two
 criteria greater emphasis at the expense of the first.
 This leads to arguments against using such abstract
 models in biology, but the successful use of ideal
 models in physics cannot be ignored. My purpose is to
 advance a new system of simplifying assumptions for
 model building in neuroscience which attempts to
 provide a superior balance between the three
 aforementioned criteria.

STP units for building models communicate by emitting and
 absorbing formal symbols which can stand for spikes of
 different shapes, or for changes in levels of hormones,
 or for changes in other biologically meaningful state
 variables such as voltage across a membrane or current
 through a channel.

STP units sum their simultaneous input signals and
 attempt to match the instantaneous sum against built-in
 state transition trigger symbols.

STP units have intrinsic timing properties which endow
 them with  oscillatory and resonance properties.

STP units undergo both automatic and triggered
 transitions of state which may radically alter their
 signal processing properties.

STP concepts were chosen specifically to apply not just
 at the neural network level, but also at the higher
 speed, smaller space scale ion channel, molecular
 biochemistry level, and at the lower speed, larger
 space scale of neuronal groups and clusters of groups,
 etc.

The timers of STP units are easily set to random
 timeouts, thereby with one mechanism to model
 temperature at the chemical kinetics level, or the
 stochastic firing rates at the neuronal level.

Computational neuroscience assumes that biological
 neural networks implement algorithms for processing
 information. I believe there is a theoretical need in
 neuroscience for a computer tool with which to simulate
 the brains algorithms for symbol train processing at
 all time scales.

------------------------------

Subject: submission to net: Time-Frequency Distributions & Neural Nets
From:    Don Malkoff <dmalkoff@ANDREW.dnet.ge.com>
Date:    Mon, 04 Jun 90 16:18:31 -0400

I am writing a review on the use of time-frequency distributions of
signals as inputs to classification algorithms.  The review will appear
in a book "New Methods in Time-Frequency Signal Analysis" to be published
by Longman & Cheshire.

I am particularly (but not solely) interested in schemes where the
classification mechanism is that of a neural network.

I would appreciate any inputs from the net as to appropriate references.
All applications are relevant.  I would like to see this review be
comprehensive and adequately represent the contributions of neural nets.

Please reply to "dmalkoff@atl.dnet.ge.com"
____________________________________
Donald B. Malkoff
General Electric Company
Advanced Technology Laboratories
Moorestown Corporate Center
Bldg. 145-2, Route 38
Moorestown, N.J. 08057
(609) 866-6516

------------------------------

Subject: Networks for stereopsis
From:    WOLPERT@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK
Date:    Tue, 05 Jun 90 17:33:49 +0000

I am interested in any pointers to current research/literature on
neural networks for stereopsis. In particular any references to networks
that solve random dot stereograms.

Thanks in advance

Piers Cornelissen.

Reply to STEIN@UK.AC.OXFORD.VAX

------------------------------

Subject: Recent trends of applying NNs in digital signal processing
From:    Hazem.Abbas@QueensU.CA
Date:    Tue, 05 Jun 90 14:07:00 -0400

  Is any body involved in the applications of neural networks in the area
of digital signal processing (filter realization, adaptive filtering,
image enhancement, restoration and compression). I would appreciate it if
I can get acquainted with the relevant topics and bibliography as well.
Actually I need that in the process of finding a research point for my
Ph.D.

------------------------------

Subject: Implementations of ART2 wanted.
From:    RM5I%DLRVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Date:    Tue, 05 Jun 90 17:09:31 -0500

Hello,

does someone have an implementation of ART2 written in a common language
like Pascal or C.

Thanks for any help finding this.

Regards   Roland Luettgens

German Aerospace Research Establishment
8031 Wessling
West Germany

rm5i@dlrvm  Bitnet

------------------------------

Subject: ART2 Source Code
From:    <GANKW%NUSDISCS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Date:    Wed, 06 Jun 90 17:53:00 -0800

I discovered recently that the Adaptive Resonance Theory (ART) proposed
by Carpenter & Grossberg is similar in its operations to the traditional
McQueen's Kmeans clustering method with coarsening and refining
parameters (see ref 1). I intend to make a comparative study of these 2
methods.

Is there anybody who can share with me his/her ART2 source code; or
inform me how to get a copy of it? (ART1 is not suitable because my test
data are\ real number vectors). I am most willing to release my findings
to the network once I get the results.

Thanks in advance.

Reference

1. Anderberg, Cluster Analysis for Applications, Academic Press 1973.

My bitnet address is : gankw@nusdiscs.bitnet

Kok Wee Gan

------------------------------

Subject: Final call HICSS
From:    Okan K Ersoy <ersoy@ee.ecn.purdue.edu>
Date:    Mon, 04 Jun 90 13:28:45 -0500

FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS AND REFEREES
HAWAII INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON SYSTEM SCIENCES - 24
NEURAL NETWORKS AND RELATED EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES
HAWAII - JANUARY 9-11, 1991

The Neural Networks Track of HICSS-24 will contain a special set of
papers focusing on a broad selection of topics in the area of Neural
Networks and Related Emerging Technologies.  The presentations will
provide a forum to discuss new advances in learning theory, associative
memory, self-organization, architectures, implementations and
applications.

Papers are invited that may be theoretical, conceptual, tutorial or
descriptive in nature.  Those papers selected for presentation will
appear in the Conference Proceedings which is published by the Computer
Society of the IEEE.  HICSS-24 is sponsored by the University of Hawaii
in cooperation with the ACM, the Computer Society,and the Pacific
Research Institute for Information Systems and Management (PRIISM).

Submissions are solicited in:

Supervised and Unsupervised Learning
Issues of Complexity and Scaling
Associative Memory
Self-Organization
Architectures
Optical, Electronic and Other Novel Implementations
Optimization
Signal/Image Processing and Understanding
Novel Applications

INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMITTING PAPERS

Manuscripts should be 22-26 typewritten, double-spaced pages in length.
Do not send submissions that are significantly shorter or longer than
this.  Papers must not have been previously presented or published, nor
currently submitted for journal publication.  Each manuscript will be put
through a rigorous refereeing process.  Manuscripts should have a title
page that includes the title of the paper, full name of its author(s),
affiliations(s), complete physical and electronic address(es), telephone
number(s) and a 300-word abstract of the paper.

DEADLINES

 Six copies of the manuscript are due by June 25, 1990.
 Notification of accepted papers by September 1, 1990.
 Accepted manuscripts, camera-ready, are due by October 3, 1990.

SEND SUBMISSIONS AND QUESTIONS TO

O. K. Ersoy
Purdue University
School of Electrical Engineering
W. Lafayette, IN  47907
(317) 494-6162
E-Mail: ersoy@ee.ecn.purdue.edu

------------------------------

Subject: UCLA-SFINX NN Simulator
From:    Edmond Mesrobian <edmond@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Date:    Mon, 04 Jun 90 13:25:47 -0700

Recently, there was a posting concerning SFINX. The information was a bit
incorrect. To obtain the simulator, one must first sign a license
agreement.  FTP instructions will then be sent to licensee. More
information concerning the simulator is presetned below.

hope this helps,
Edmond Mesrobian
UCLA Machine Perception Lab
3531 Boelter Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90024

     UCLA-SFINX  ( Structure  and  Function  In  Neural   connec-
tions) is an interactive neural  network  simulation  environment
designed  to  provide  the  investigative  tools for studying the
behavior of various neural structures. It was designed to  easily
express  and  simulate the highly regular patterns often found in
large networks, but it is also general enough to  model  parallel
systems of arbitrary interconnectivity.

     UCLA-SFINX is not based on any single neural  network  para-
digm  such as Backward Error Propagation (BEP) but rather enables
users to simulate a wide variety of neural network models.  UCLA-
SFINX has been used to simulate neural networks for the segmenta-
tion of images using textural cues, architectures for  color  and
lightness  constancy,  script character recognition using BEP and
others.

     It is all written in C, includes an X11 interface for visual-
izing simulation results (8 bit displays), and it has been  ported
to HP 9000 320/350 workstations running HP-UX, Sun workstations
running SUNOS 3.5, IBM RT  workstations  running BSD  4.3,  Ardent
Titan workstations running Ardent UNIX Release 2.0, and VAX 8200's
running  Ultrix 2.2-1. To get UCLA-SFINX source code and document-
ation (in LaTeX format) follow the instructions below:

1.   To obtain UCLA-SFINX via the Internet:

     Sign and return the enclosed UCLA-SFINX License Agreement to
     the  address  below.  We  will send you a copy of the signed
     license agreement along with instructions on how  to  FTP  a
     copy  of  UCLA-SFINX.  If you have a PostScript printer, you
     should be able to produce your own copy of the  manual.   If
     you  wish to obtain a hardcopy of the manual, return a check
     for $30 along with the license.

2.   To obtain UCLA-SFINX on tape:

     Sign and return the enclosed UCLA-SFINX License Agreement to
     the  address  below.   Return a check for $100 dollars along
     with the license, for a hardcopy of the manual and a copy of
     UCLA-SFINX  on 1/4 inch cartridge tape (in tar format) read-
     able by a Sun 3 workstation.  We will also send you  a  copy
     of the signed license agreement.

     Checks should be made payable to the Regents of the  Univer-
sity  of  California.  If you have questions regarding any of the
information   discussed   above   send   electronic    mail    to
sfinx@retina.cs.ucla.edu  or  US mail to: UCLA Machine Perception
Laboratory, Computer Science Department, 3532 Boelter  Hall,  Los
Angeles, CA. 90024, USA.

            THE REGENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA

                       LOS ANGELES CAMPUS

                  UCLA-SFINX LICENSE AGREEMENT

     This   Agreement   is   entered    into    this___________of
____________________,  199__,  by  and between THE REGENTS OF THE
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, a California  corporation,  hereinafter
called "University", and ________________________________________
_____________________________________,     hereinafter     called
"Licensee." This Agreement is made with reference to the  follow-
ing:

1.   DEFINITION

     "UCLA-SFINX" is a set of copyrighted, source  code  computer
     programs  and  any future modifications thereof delivered by
     University to Licensee, and any  accompanying  documentation
     provided  by  University.   UCLA-SFINX  is a general purpose
     software system for the development and evaluation  of  con-
     nectionist  models.   UCLA-SFINX is written for and operates
     on UNIX systems.

2.   GRANT OF RIGHTS

     A.   University grants to Licensee and  Licensee  accepts  a
          non-exclusive,  non-transferable  license  to use UCLA-
          SFINX solely for Licensee's non-commercial purposes.

     B.   Such use may include the making of sufficient copies of
          UCLA-SFINX  for  the  reasonable  purposes  of Licensee
          hereunder.  All copies of UCLA-SFINX made by  Licensee,
          in  whole  or  in part, regardless of the form in which
          the Licensee may subsequently use it, and regardless of
          any  modification  which  the Licensee may subsequently
          make to it are the property of University and no  title
          to  or  ownership  of such materials are transferred to
          Licensee hereunder.  Licensee shall include on any such
          copies  labels  containing  the  name  UCLA-SFINX,  the
          University's   copyright   notice,   and   any    other
          proprietary or restrictive notices appearing on the la-
          bel of the copy of UCLA-SFINX furnished to Licensee  by
          University.

                                  1

     C.   Such use may include the modification of UCLA-SFINX  by
          Licensee.  Such  modified  versions of UCLA-SFINX shall
          remain the property of University.

     D.   Such use shall not include further distribution, or any
          action  which  may be construed as selling or licensing
          UCLA-SFINX to any person or entity.

3.   ACKNOWLEDGMENT

     A.   Licensee  acknowledges   that   UCLA-SFINX   has   been
          developed for research purposes only.

     B.   Licensee shall require its employees  and  students  to
          acknowledge in writing their use of UCLA-SFINX when re-
          porting any research resulting from such use.  The fol-
          lowing  notice  should  be  used: "UCLA-SFINX from UCLA
          MACHINE PERCEPTION LABORATORY."

4.   WARRANTIES AND INDEMNIFICATION

     A.   University warrants that is is the owner of all  right,
          title, and interest in and to UCLA-SFINX, including all
          copyright pertaining thereto and subsisting therein.

     B.   UCLA-SFINX is licensed "AS  IS,"  and  University  dis-
          claims  all  warranties, express and implied, including
          but not limited to, the implied warranties of  merchan-
          tability  and  fitness for a particular purpose.  In no
          event will University be liable for  any  business  ex-
          pense, machine down time, loss of profits, any inciden-
          tal, special, exemplary or  consequential  damages,  or
          any  claims  or  demands brought against Licensee.  The
          entire risk as to the quality and performance of  UCLA-
          SFINX is with Licensee.

     C.   Licensee agrees to indemnify,  defend,  hold  harmless,
          and  defend  University,  its  officers,  employees and
          agents, against any and all claims, suits, losses, dam-
          ages, costs, fees, and expenses resulting from or aris-
          ing out of any use of UCLA-SFINX by Licensee.

5.   TECHNICAL SUPPORT AND FEEDBACK

     A.   University shall have no obligation  to  install,  sup-
          port, maintain, or correct any defects in UCLA-SFINX.

                                  2

     B.   Licensee agrees to notify  University  of  any  errors,
          functional  problems,  and  any  defects in performance
          discovered in UCLA-SFINX  and  of  any  fixes  made  by
          Licensee.   Such notice will contain a full description
          of the problem, indicating  in  what  circumstances  it
          originated,  and  how  it manifested itself.  Technical
          matters and errors discovered in UCLA-SFINX may be com-
          municated  as  provided in Article 9 below or via elec-
          tronic mail to:  sfinx@retina.cs.ucla.edu.

6.   TERM AND TERMINATION

     A.   The term of this Agreement is perpetual  and  shall  be
          effective  from the date of its signing by duly author-
          ized official of Licensee.

     B.   Any failure of Licensee to comply with  all  terms  and
          conditions  of  this  Agreement shall result in its im-
          mediate termination.

7.   SEVERABILITY

     If any of the provisions or portions of this  Agreement  are
     invalid  under  any  applicable statute or rule of law, they
     are to the extent of such invalidity severable and shall not
     affect any other provision of this Agreement.

8.   APPLICABLE LAW

     This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of
     California.

9.   NOTICE

     A.   Any notice under this Agreement shall be in writing and
          mailed to the appropriate address given below:

          To University regarding this Agreement:

                 The Regents of the University of California
                 Office of Contract and Grant Administration
                 University of California, Los Angeles
                 405 Hilgard Avenue
                 Los Angeles, California 90024-1406

                 Attention: Dr. Enrique Riveros-Schafer

                                  3

    B.      To University regarding technical matters:

                 UCLA Machine Perception Laboratory
                 3532 Boelter Hall
                 Computer Science Department
                 Los Angeles, California 90024

                 Attention:  Prof. Josef Skrzypek

     C.     To Licensee:

10.     ENTIRETY

     This Agreement supersedes any  previous  communication  and,
     when signed by both parties, constitutes the complete under-
     standing of the parties.  No modification or waiver  of  any
     provisions  hereof  shall  be  valid  unless  in writing and
     signed by both parties.

IN WITNESS THEREOF, the parties here to have caused  this  Agree-
ment to be executed.

LICENSEE                           THE REGENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY
                                    OF CALIFORNIA

Title: _______________________________       Intellectual Property Officer

                                  4

End of Neuron Digest [Volume 6 Issue 39]