[comp.ai.neural-nets] Parallel Processing/Neural Networks

pmurali@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Panchapagesan Murali) (06/08/90)

I am interested in technical reports or good survey papers on "Highly
Parallel Implementations" of contemporary neural net algorithms and
an overview of the issues involved in every parallel implementation.

In particular I am looking for SIMD/MIMD and Dataflow implementations
and a classification that says which architecture is good for which
algorithm and what is the scale of the neural nets in each
implementation.  Can the scale of the neural net solve real life
problems ? If so in what time span ?

If any of the netters happen to know of papers or technical reports
please email a copy to me.  If it is available only in hard copy
please mail me a copy. I shall pay for whatever expenses incurred.
My email address is

pmurali@gmuvax2.gmu.edu

Thanks in advance.

Murali
.

bill@boulder.Colorado.EDU (06/09/90)

In article <1576@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> pmurali@gmuvax2.gmu.edu
(Panchapagesan Murali) writes:
>I am interested in technical reports or good survey papers on "Highly
>Parallel Implementations" of contemporary neural net algorithms and
>an overview of the issues involved in every parallel implementation.
>
>In particular I am looking for SIMD/MIMD and Dataflow implementations
>and a classification that says which architecture is good for which
>algorithm and what is the scale of the neural nets in each
>implementation.  Can the scale of the neural net solve real life
>problems ? If so in what time span ?

  There are several papers dealing with these issues in the NIPS 89
volume.  (Full reference:  Advances in Neural Information Processing
Systems 2, ed. D Touretzky, Morgan Kaufman, San Mateo CA, 1990.)

  In particular, there is an article ("Computational Efficiency:  A
common organizing principle for parallel computer maps and brain
maps") discussing exactly the issues you raise.  There is also a
group of 10 papers dealing with hardware implementation.

	-- Bill Skaggs