[comp.ai.neural-nets] Summary: Neural Darwinism book reviews

kerce@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Kingsley F. Kerce) (06/11/90)

I recently posted a request for book reviews of G. Edelman's _Neural
Darwinism_.  A summary follows with comments.

Abbrevs:
TINS = Trends in Neurosciences

David Willshaw.  TINS, Vol 11, No 11, pp 511-512.  1988.

Francis Crick.  Neural Edelmanism.  TINS, Vol 12, No 7, pp 240-248.
1989.

     George Reeke, Jr.  TINS, Vol 13, No 1, pp 11-12.  1990.
          Letter to the editor concerning Crick's Neural Edelmanism.

     Rick Michod.  TINS, Vol 13, No 1,  pp 12-13.  1990.
          Another letter about Crick's article.

     Francis Crick.  TINS, Vol 13, No 1, pp 13-14.  1990.
          Reply to letters to the editor.

Stephen Smoliar.  Artificial Intelligence, 39, pp 121-136.  1989.

Paul Patton and Thomas Parisi.  Brains, computation, and selection:
An essay review of Gerald Edelman's _Neural Darwinism_.
Psychobiology, Vol 17, No 3, pp 326-333.  1989.

The following is not a book review but was interesting.

Israel Rosenfield.  The Invention of Memory: A new view of the brain.
Chapter "Neural Darwinism: A new approach to memory and perception."
Basic Books, Inc.  New York.  1988.

Reviews that I haven't obtained follow.  These may or may not strictly
be book reviews.

Israel Rosenfield.  Neural Darwinism: A new approach to memory and
perception.  The New York Review 33 (15, Oct 9), pp 21-27. 1986.

H. B. Barlow.  Neuroscience: A new era?  Nature 331, p 571.  1988.

Rick Michod.  Darwinian selection in the brain.  Evolution, Vol 43,
No 3, pp 694-696.  1989.

R. Nelson.  Philosophical issues in Edelman's neural Darwinism.
Journal of Experimental and Theoretical AI, Vol 1, pp 195-208.  1989.

William Calvin.  Science, June 26.  1988.

Much thanks to all who responded.  As of right now, the reviews I've
reviewed (recurscurscursing again!) have persuaded me to put off a
thorough reading of _Neural Darwinism_.  Sometimes second-hand
information is better than first...
--
Kingsley Kerce             USnail: Dept. of Computer Sci. (or Dept. of Psych.)
Email: kerce@nu.cs.fsu.edu         Florida State University

muttiah@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Ranjan S Muttiah) (06/12/90)

In article <KERCE.90Jun10172952@nu.cs.fsu.edu> kerce@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Kingsley F. Kerce) writes:
>I recently posted a request for book reviews of G. Edelman's _Neural
>Darwinism_.  A summary follows with comments.

	Does anyone know whether Darwin III has been completed and
has been used for anything ?  DARWIN II seems rather bulky for the
things that it is supposed to do!