Subject: (Summary) Re: Character Recognition Bibliography?
From:    atul k chhabra <Atul.Chhabra@UC.EDU>
Date:    Sat, 21 Jul 90 14:06:31 -0400

[[ Editor's Note: This is te result of a query on another mailing list.
It certainly seems appropriate for "publication." -PM ]]

Here is a summary of what I received in response to my request for
references on character recognition. I had asked for references in all
aspects of character recognition -- preprocessing and segmentation, OCR,
typewritten character recognition, handwritten character recognition,
neural network based recognition, statistical and syntactic recognition,
hardware implementations, and commercial character recognition systems.
THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPONDED.

IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS MORE REFERENCES, PLEASE EMAIL ME. I WILL
SUMMARIZE NEW RESPONSES AFTER ANOTHER TWO WEEKS. THANKS.

Atul Chhabra
Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
University of Cincinnati, ML 030
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0030

Phone: (513)556-6297
Email: achhabra@uceng.uc.edu

From: Sol <sol@iai.es>

    Sol Delgado
    Instituto de Automatica Industial
    La Poveda   Arganda del Rey
    28500 MADRID
    SPAIN

    sol@iai.es

[ 1]_ Off-Line cursive script word recognition
      Radmilo M. Bozinovic, Sargur N. Srihari
      IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence.
      Vol. 11, January 1989.

[ 2]_ Visual recognition of script characters. Neural networt architectures.
      Jodef Skrzypek, Jeff Hoffman.
      MPL (Machine Perception Lab). Nov 1989.

[ 3]_ On recognition of printed characters of any font and size.
      Simon Kahan, Theo Pavlidis, Henry S. Baird.
      IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence
      Vol PAMI_9, No 2, March 1987.

[ 4]_ Research on machine recognition of handprinted characters.
      Shunji Mori, Kazuhiko Yamamoto, Michio Yasuda.
      IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence.
      Vol PAMI_6, No 4. July 1984.

[ 5]_ A pattern description and generation method of structural
      characters
      Hiroshi nagahashi, Mikio Nakatsuyama.
      IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence
      Vol PAMI_8, No 1, January 1986.

[ 6]_ An on-line procedure for recognition of handprinted alphanumeric
      characters.
      W. W. Loy, I. D. Landau.
      IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence.
      Vol PAMI_4, No 4, July 1982.

[ 7]_ A string correction algorithm for cursive script recognition.
      Radmilo Bozinovic, Sargur N. Srihari.
      IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine inteligence.
      Vol PAMI_4, No 6, November 1982.

[ 8]_ Analisys and design of a decision tree based on entropy reduction
      and its application to large character set recognition
      Qing Ren Wang, Ching Y. Suen.
      IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence.
      Vol PAMI_6, No 4, July 1984.

[ 9]_ A method for selecting constrained hand-printed character shapes
      for machine recognition
      Rajjan Shinghal, Ching Y. Suen
      IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence.
      Vol PAMI_4, No 1, January 1982

[10]_ Pixel classification based on gray level and local "busyness"
      Philip A. Dondes, Azriel Rosenfeld.
      IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence.
      Vol PAMI_4, No 1, January 1982.

[11]_ Experiments in the contextual recognition of cursive script
      Roger W. Ehrich, Kenneth J. Koehler
      IEEE transactions on computers, vol c-24, No. 2, February 1975.

[12]_ Character recognition by computer and applications.
      Ching Y. Suen.
      Handbook of pattern recognition and image procesing.
      ACADEMIC PRESS, INC. August 1988.

[13]_ A robust algorithm for text string separation from mixed
      text/graphics images
      Lloyd Alan Fletcher, Rangachar Kasturi
      IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence.
      Vol 10, No 6, November 1988.

[14]_ Segmentation of document images.
      Torfinn Taxt, Patrick J. Flynn, Anil K. Jain
      IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence.
      Vol 11, No 12, december 1989.

[15]_ Experiments in text recognition with Binary n_Gram and Viterbi
      algorithms.
      Jonathan J. Hull, Sargur N. Srihari
      IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence
      Vol PAMI-4, No 5, september 1982.

[16]- Designing a handwriting reader.
      D. J. Burr
      IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence
      Vol PAMI-5, No 5, september 1983.

[17]_ Experiments on neural net recognition of spoken and written text
      David J. Burr
      IEEE transactions on acoustics, speech and signals processing
      vol 36, No 7, july 1988

[18]_ Experimets with a connectionist text reader
      D. J. Burr
      Bell communications research
      Morristow, N. J. 07960

[19]_ An Algorithm for finding a common structure shared by a family of
      strings
      Anne M. Landraud, Jean-Francois Avril, Philippe Chretienne.
      IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence
      Vol 11, No 8, august 1989

[20]_ Word_level recognition of cursive script
      Raouf F. H. Farag
      IEEE transactions on computers
      Vol C-28, No 2, february 1979

[21]_ Pattern Classification by neural network: an experimental system
      for icon recognition
      Eric Gullichsen, Ernest Chang
      Marzo, 1987

[22]_ Recognition of handwritten chinese characters by modified hough
      transform techniques.
      Fang-Hsuan Cheng, Wen-Hsing Hsu, Mei-Ying Chen
      IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence
      Vol 11, No 4, April 1989

[23]_ Inheret bias and noise in the Hough transform
      Christopher M. Brown
      IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence
      Vol PAMI-5, No 5, september 1983.

[24]_ From pixels to features
      J. C. Simon
      North-Holland
        _ Feature selection and Language syntax in text recognition.
          J.J. Hull

        _ Feature extraction for locating address blocks on mail pieces.
          S.N. Srihari.

[25]_ A model for variability effects in hand-printing, with implications
      for the design of on line character recognition systems.
      J.R. Ward and T. Kuklinski.
      IEEE transactions on systems, man and cybernetics.
      Vol 18, No 3, May/June 1988.

[26]_ Selection of a neural network system for visual inspection.
      Paul J. Stomski, Jr and Adel S. Elmaghraby
      Engineering Mathematics And Computer Science
      University of Louisville, Kentucky 40292

[27]_ Self-organizing model for pattern learning and its application to
      robot eyesight.
      Hisashi Suzuki, Suguru Arimoto.
      Proceedings of the fourth conference on A.I.
      san Diego, March 1988.
      The computer society of the IEEE.

From: J. Whiteley <WHITELEY-J@OSU-20.IRCC.OHIO-STATE.EDU>

I only have five references I can offer, all are from the Proceedings of the
1989 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks held in Washington D.C.

Yamada, K.
Kami, H.
Tsukumo, J.
Temma, T.
Handwritten Numeral Recognition by Multi-layered Neural Network
with Improved Learning Algorithm
Volume II, pp. 259-266

Morasso, P.
Neural Models of Cursive Script Handwriting
Volume II, pp.539-542

Guyon, I.
Poujaud, I.
Personnaz, L.
Dreyfus, G.
Comparing Different Neural Network Architectures for Classifying
Handwritten Digits
Volume II, pp.127-132

Weideman, W.E.
A Comparison of a Nearest Neighbor Classifier and a Neural Network for
Numeric Handprint Character Recognition
Volume I, pp.117-120

Barnard, E.
Casasent, D.
Image Processing for Image Understanding with Neural Nets
Volume I, pp.111-115

Hopefully you are being deluged with references.

 --Rob Whiteley
  Dept. of Chemical Engineering
  Ohio State University
  email:  whiteley-j@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu
 -------

From: avi@dgp.toronto.edu (Avi Naiman)

%L Baird 86
%A H. S. Baird
%T Feature Identification for Hybrid Structural/Statistical Pattern Classification
%R Proceedings of the IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition
%D June 1986
%P 150-155

%L Casey and Jih 83
%A R. G. Casey
%A C. R. Jih
%T A Processor-Based OCR System
%J IBM Journal of Research and Development
%V 27
%N 4
%D July 1983
%P 386-399

%L Cash and Hatamian 87
%A G. L. Cash
%A M. Hatamian
%T Optical Character Recognition by the Method of Moments
%J Computer Vision, Graphics and Image Processing
%V 39
%N 3
%D September 1987
%P 291-310

%L Chanda et al. 84
%A B. Chanda
%A B. B. Chaudhuri
%A D. Dutta Majumder
%T Some Algorithms for Image Enhancement Incorporating Human Visual Response
%J Pattern Recognition
%V 17
%D 1984
%P 423-428

%L Cox et al. 74
%A C. Cox
%A B. Blesser
%A M. Eden
%T The Application of Type Font Analysis to Automatic Character Recognition
%J Proceedings of the Second International Joint Conference on Pattern Recognition
%D 1974
%P 226-232

%L Frutiger 67
%A Adrian Frutiger
%T OCR-B: A Standardized Character for Optical Recognition
%J Journal of Typographic Research
%V 1
%N 2
%D April 1967
%P 137-146

%L Goclawska 88
%A Goclawska
%T Method of Description of the Alphanumeric Printed Characters by Signatures for Automatic Text Readers
%J AMSE Review
%V 7
%N 2
%D 1988
%P 31-34

%L Gonzalez 87
%A Gonzalez
%T Designing Balance into an OCR System
%J Photonics Spectra
%V 21
%N 9
%D September 1987
%P 113-116

%L GSA 84
%A General Services Administration
%T Technology Assessment Report: Speech and Pattern Recognition; Optical Character Recognition; Digital Raster Scanning
%I National Archives and Records Service
%C Washington, District of Columbia
%D October 1984

%L Hull et al. 84
%A J. J. Hull
%A G. Krishnan
%A P. W. Palumbo
%A S. N. Srihari
%T Optical Character Recognition Techniques in Mail Sorting: A Review of Algorithms
%R 214
%I SUNY Buffalo Computer Science
%D June 1984

%L IBM 86
%A IBM
%T Character Recognition Apparatus
%J IBM Technical Disclosure Bulletin
%V 28
%N 9
%D February 1986
%P 3990-3993

%L Kahan et al. 87
%A A. Kahan
%A Theo Pavlidis
%A H. S. Baird
%T On the Recognition of Printed Characters of any Font and Size
%J IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence
%V PAMI-9
%N 2
%D March 1987
%P 274-288

%L Lam and Baird 86
%A S. W. Lam
%A H. S. Baird
%T Performance Testing of Mixed-Font, Variable-Size Character Recognizers
%R AT&T Bell Laboratories Computing Science Technical Report No. 126
%C Murray Hill, New Jersey
%D November 1986

%L Lashas et al. 85
%A A. Lashas
%A R. Shurna
%A A. Verikas
%A A. Dosimas
%T Optical Character Recognition Based on Analog Preprocessing and Automatic Feature Extraction
%J Computer Vision, Graphics and Image Processing
%V 32
%N 2
%D November 1985
%P 191-207

%L Mantas 86
%A J. Mantas
%T An Overview of Character Recognition Methodologies
%J Pattern Recognition
%V 19
%N 6
%D 1986
%P 425-430

%L Murphy 74
%A Janet Murphy
%T OCR: Optical Character Recognition
%C Hatfield
%I Hertis
%D 1974

%L Nagy 82
%A G. Nagy
%T Optical Character Recognition \(em Theory and Practice
%B Handbook of Statistics
%E P. R. Krishnaiah and L. N. Kanal
%V 2
%I North-Holland
%C Amsterdam
%D 1982
%P 621-649

%L Pavlidis 86
%A Theo Pavlidis
%T A Vectorizer and Feature Extractor for Document Recognition
%J Computer Vision, Graphics and Image Processing
%V 35
%N 1
%D July 1986
%P 111-127

%L Piegorsch et al. 84
%A W. Piegorsch
%A H. Stark
%A M. Farahani
%T Application of Image Correlation for Optical Character Recognition in Printed Circuit Board Inspection
%R Proceedings of SPIE \(em The International Society for Optical Engineering: Applications of Digital Image Processing VII
%V 504
%D 1984
%P 367-378

%L Rutovitz 68
%A D. Rutovitz
%T Data Structures for Operations on Digital Images
%B Pictorial Pattern Recognition
%E G. C. Cheng et al.
%I Thompson Book Co.
%C Washington, D. C.
%D 1968
%P 105-133

%L Smith and Merali 85
%A J. W. T. Smith
%A Z. Merali
%T Optical Character Recognition: The Technology and its Application in Information Units and Libraries
%R Library and Information Research Report 33
%I The British Library
%D 1985

%L Suen 86
%A C. Y. Suen
%T Character Recognition by Computer and Applications
%B Handbook of Pattern Recognition and Image Processing
%D 1986
%P 569-586

%L Wang 85
%A P. S. P. Wang
%T A New Character Recognition Scheme with Lower Ambiguity and Higher Recognizability
%J Pattern Recognition Letters
%V 3
%D 1985
%P 431-436

%L White and Rohrer 83
%A J.M. White
%A G.D. Rohrer
%T Image Thresholding for Optical Character Recognition and Other Applications Requiring Character Image Extraction
%J IBM Journal of Research and Development
%V 27
%N 4
%D July 1983
%P 400-411

%L Winzer 75
%A Gerhard Winzer
%T Character Recognition With a Coherent Optical Multichannel Correlator
%J IEEE Transactions on Computers
%V C-24
%N 4
%D April 1975
%P 419-423

From: nad@computer-lab.cambridge.ac.uk

Hi,
  I've only got two references for you - but they have 42 and 69 references,
respectively (some of the refs will be the same, but you get at least 69
references!).

They are:

"An overview of character recognition methodologies"
J. Mantas
Pattern Recognition, Volume 19, Number 6, 1986
pages 425-430

"Methodologies in pattern recognition and image analysis - a brief survey"
J. Mantas
Pattern Recognition, Volume 20, Number 1, 1987
pages 1-6

Neil Dodgson
============

From: YAEGER.L@AppleLink.Apple.COM

I presume you know of "The 1989 Neuro-Computing Bibliography" edited by Casimir
C. Klimasauskas, a Bradford Book, from MIT Press.  It lists 11 references for
character recognition in its index.

 - larryy@apple.com

From: Tetsu Fujisaki <TETSU@IBM.COM>

1. Suen, C. Y., Berthod, M., and Mori, S.,
   "Automatic Recognition of Handprinted Characters - The State
    of the Art", Proc. IEEE, 68, 4 (April 1980) 469-487

2. Tappert, C. C., Suen, C. Y., and Wakahara T,
   "The State-of-the-Art in on-line handwriting recognition",
    IEEE Proc. 9th Int'l Conf. on Pattern Recognition, Rome Italy,
    Nov. 1988. Also in IBM RC 14045.

From: burrow@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Tom Burrow)

Apparently, the state of the art in connectionism, as a lot of people
will tell you, I'm sure, is Y. Le Cun et al's work which can be found
in NIPS 90.  Other significant connectionist approaches are
Fukushima's neocognitron and Denker et al's work which I *believe* is
in NIPS 88.

I am interested in handprinted character recognition.  Type set
character recognition is basically solved, and I believe you shouldn't
have any trouble locating texts on this (although I've only looked at
the text edited by Kovalevsky (sp?), which I believe is just entitled
"Reading Machines".  Bayesian classifiers, which you can read about in
any statistical pattern recognition text (eg, Duda and Hart, Gonzalez,
etc), are capable of performing recognition, since one can choose
reliable features present in machine printed text (eg, moments,
projections, etc), and the segmentation problem is fairly trivial).

Perhaps the greatest problem in handprinted recognition is the
segmentation problem.  Unfortunately, most connectionist approaches
fail miserably in this respect, relying on traditional methods for
segmentation which become a bottleneck.  I am inspecting connectionist
methods which perform segmentation and recognition concurrently, and I
recommend you do not inspect the problems independently.

I am by no means expert in any area which I've commented on, but I
hope this helps.  Also, again, please send me your compiled responses.
Thank you and good luck.

Tom Burrow

------------------------------

Subject: wanted--turbo pascal code for complex feature detection
From:    Jonathan Schull <J_SCHULL@acc.haverford.edu>
Date:    Tue, 24 Jul 90 09:51:00 -0500

We are developing a visual-stimulus GENERATING system in Turbo Pascal,
and it would be useful to have a visual-stimulus DETECTING routine to
evaluate the output our system generates.

We are currently writing a simple detector which evaluates an image based
on its pixel-by-pixel concordance with a prototypic image.  However, even
better would be a more generic detector which could recognize a
particular shape in a variety of orientations or screen locations.  (An
example would be something like the system described in the last Neuron
Digest, "A Network for Extracting the Locations of Point Clusters Using
Selective Attention", by Subutai Ahmad & Stephen Omohundro).

Does anyone know where we might find some easily-imported Pascal code
which we could use for this purpose?

------------------------------

Subject: Neocognitron information wanted
From:    PVR%AUTOCTRL.RUG.AC.BE@VMA.CC.CMU.EDU
Date:    Wed, 25 Jul 90 18:19:00 +0100

Dear neural netters,

I have a research student who is implementing Prof. Fukushima's
neocognitron.  The network will be used for object recognition and will
finally be implemented on a multiprocessor network.

The student is facing a large number of problems, for which we are not
always able to find a solution. We would therefore like to get in touch
with other researchers who have tried to implement the neocognitron or
who have thoroughly studied this particular type of network. Could you
please send a message to:

pvr@autoctrl.rug.ac.be
or to pvr@bgerug51.bitnet

If you have technical reports that could make our work easier, we would
certainly appreciate to have a copy. In return, we will send you some
articles about the implementation and application.

Many thanks in advance,

Patrick

* Patrick Van Renterghem,     BITNET: pvr@bgerug51.bitnet                   *
* R&D Assistant,              EDU:    pvr%bgerug51.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu   *
* State University of Ghent   UUCP:   mcsun!bgerug51.bitnet!pvr             *
* Belgium                     JANET:  PVR%earn.bgerug51@earn-relay          *
*                                                                           *
* Automatic Control Lab,           |          Tel: +32 91 22 57 55 ext. 313 *
* State University of Ghent,       |          Fax: +32 91 22 85 91          *
* Grotesteenweg Noord 2,           |                                        *
* B-9710 Ghent-Zwijnaarde, Belgium |                                        *
*******You***Don't***Need***A***PhD***To***Write***Parallel***Programs*******

------------------------------

Subject: universe and intelligence
From:    arti6!chen@relay.EU.net (Chung-Chih Chen)
Date:    Thu, 26 Jul 90 10:59:35 +0100

There is a problem I have been thinking for several years: What is the
relationship between the universe and the intelligence (or physics and
biology)?

If the universe (the physical laws) can evolve to provide an environment
for the intelligent systems to survive, can we say that the universe is
not intelligent (or just a blind watchmaker)?

Why the biological systems are more intelligent than the physical
systems? Are there some intelligences in physics?  Can we build a
universal model of intelligence where the intelligence evolves like the
universe?

Any comments are very welcome.

Chung-Chih Chen
Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
(Building K, 4th Floor)
Free University of Brussels
Pleinlaan 2
1050 Brussels, BELGIUM
(email: chen@arti.vub.ac.be)

------------------------------

Subject: postdoc position available
From:    Eric Mjolsness <mjolsness-eric@CS.YALE.EDU>
Date:    Mon, 30 Jul 90 15:15:52 -0400

                        YALE UNIVERSITY

     Postdoctoral Position in Neural Networks for Vision

One position is open within a research group interested in developing
neural network-based approaches to computer vision and image
understanding problems.  We are particularly interested in using
model-based optimization strategies for locating and quantifying objects
and other image structures, and automatically learning the
characteristics of new ones; we are in the process of extending these
ideas to scale-space and other continuation methods for optimization.
The group includes three faculty members, three Ph.D. students and a full
time programmer.  Collaboration with researchers in biomedical and
neurobiological image processing is also possible.  The position is joint
between the Departments of Computer Science and Diagnostic Radiology.  In
addition, the research group has strong ties with faculty members in the
Electrical Engineering Department.  Those who apply should have a Ph.D.
in a neural network-related field such as computer science, electrical
engineering, applied mathematics or physics, preferably with a strong
background and coursework in image processing and computer vision.  A
strong programming ability is also preferred.  The initial appointment
will be for one year, renewable for a second year contingent upon the
availability of funds and by mutual agreement. Salary will be based on
background and experience, but is expected to be in the $28K - $32K
range.  Review of applications will begin immediately and will be
accepted until the position is filled.

Applicants should send a resume and the names and addresses of three
references to:

Professor Eric Mjolsness,
Department Computer Science, Yale Unversity
P.O. Box 2158 Yale Station
51 Prospect Street
New Haven, Connecticut, 06520,

and should also, if possible, contact him by electronic mail at
mjolsness@cs.yale.edu

OR write and email to:

Professor Gene Gindi
Department of Electrical Engineering
Yale University
P.O. Box 2157 Yale Station
New Haven, Connecticut 06520

gindi@venus.ycc.yale.edu

------------------------------

Subject: SAB90 Announcement
From:    Stewart Wilson <wilson@Think.COM>
Date:    Mon, 23 Jul 90 16:09:00 -0400

                            ANNOUNCEMENT

         Simulation of Adaptive Behavior: From Animals to Animats
                      An International Conference
              To be held in Paris, September 24-28, 1990

                            Sponsored by

                      Ecole Normale Superieure
              US Air Force Office of Scientific Research
                       Electricite de France
                            IBM France
              Computers, Communications and Visions (C2V)
                             Offilib
                       and a Corporate Donor

1. Conference dates and site

The conference will take place Monday through Friday, September 24-28, 1990
at the Ministere de la Recherche et de la Technologie, 1 rue Descartes, Paris,
France.

2. Conference Committee

   Conference chair
         Dr. Jean-Arcady Meyer              Dr. Stewart W. Wilson
         Ecole Normale Superieure           The Rowland Institute for Science
         France                             USA
   Organizing Committee
         Groupe de BioInformatique
         Ecole Normale Superieure
         France
   Program Committee
         Lashon Booker, U.S. Naval Research Lab, USA
         Rodney Brooks, MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab, USA
         Patrick Colgan, Queen's University at Kingston, Canada
         Patrick Greussay, Universite Paris VIII, France
         David McFarland, Oxford Balliol College, UK
         Luc Steels, VUB AI Lab, Belgium
         Richard Sutton, GTE Laboratories, USA
         Frederick Toates, The Open University, UK
         David Waltz, Thinking Machines Corp. and Brandeis University, USA

3. Official language: English

4.  Conference Objective

The conference objective is to bring together researchers in ethology,
ecology, cybernetics, artificial intelligence, robotics, and related
fields so as to further our understanding of the behaviors and underlying
mechanisms that allow animals and, potentially, robots to adapt and
survive in uncertain environments.  Said somewhat differently, the
objective is to investigate how the robot can aid in comprehending the
animal and, inversely, to seek inspiration from the animal in the
construction of autonomous robots.

The conference will provide opportunities for dialogue between
specialists with different scientific perspectives--ethology and
artificial intelligence notably--a dialogue that will be enhanced by the
common technical language imposed by simulation models.  As the first of
its kind in the world, the conference will make it possible to establish
not only the state of the art of "adaptive autonomous systems, natural
and artificial", but a list of the most promising future research topics.

The conference is expected to promote:

1. Identification of the organizational principles, functional laws, and
minimal properties that make it possible for a real or artificial system
to persist in an uncertain environment.

2. Better understanding of how and under what conditions such systems can
themselves discover these principles through conditioning, learning,
induction, or processes of self-organization.

3. Specification of the applicability of the theoretical knowledge thus
acquired to the building of autonomous robots.

4. Improved theoretical and practical knowledge concerning adaptive systems
in general, both natural and artificial.

Finally, special emphasis will be given to the following topics, as viewed
from the perspective of adaptive behavior:

    Individual and collective behaviors  Autonomous robots
    Action selection and behavioral      Hierarchical and parallel organizations
     sequences                           Self organization of behavioral
    Conditioning, learning and induction  modules
    Neural correlates of behavior        Problem solving and planning
    Perception and motor control         Goal directed behavior
    Motivation and emotion               Neural networks and classifier
    Behavioral ontogeny and evolution      systems
    Cognitive maps and internal          Emergent structures and behaviors
     world models

5.  Conference Proceedings

The proceedings will be published about two months after the end of the
conference by The MIT Press/Bradford Books.

6.  Conference Organization

Among the papers received by the organizers and reviewed by the Program
Committee members, approximately 50 have been accepted for publication in
the proceedings.  They will be presented as talks or posters.  (To
receive by e-mail a preliminary program please contact one of the
conference chairmen).

Since the conference intersects animal and "animat" research, lively
interaction can be expected, including controversy.  At least one panel
discussion will be organized around the theme of what each viewpoint can
contribute to the other.

Because the conference is emphasizing simulation models, it is
anticipated that many participants will have computer programs
demonstrating their work.  To make such demonstrations possible, the
Organizers will provide workstations and video equipment.  An evening
session during the week will be devoted to demonstrations.

Morning and afternoon coffee breaks will be provided.  To further promote
interaction among a diverse group of participants, the conference will
provide lunch each day.

7.  Additional Information

Additional information can be obtained from the chairmen:

    Dr. Jean-Arcady Meyer
    Groupe de Bioinformatique
    URA686.Ecole Normale Superieure
    46 rue d'Ulm
    75230 Paris Cedex 05
    France
    e-mail: meyer@frulm63.bitnet
                meyer@hermes.ens.fr
    Tel: (1) 43.29.12.25
    FAX: (1) 43.29.81.72

    Dr. Stewart W. Wilson
    The Rowland Institute for Science
    100 Cambridge Parkway
    Cambridge, MA  02142
    USA
    e-mail: wilson@think.com
    Tel: (617) 497-4650
    FAX: (617) 497-4627

8. Travel and Lodging

Participants will be responsible for their own travel and lodging
arrangements.  However, you may contact any of three hotel reservations
services which have agreed to offer advantageous locations and rates to
participants in SAB90.  We advise making early reservations and
mentioning "SAB90" in your request.

These services are:

 - Hotel Pullman Saint-Jacques(****): rooms at 800-900 FF,
                                                fax (33 1 45 88 43 93)

 - Tradotel(*** and **): rooms at 440-520 FF, fax (33 1 47 27 05 87)

 - AJF: student rooms at 80-90 FF, fax (33 1 40 27 08 71)

9.   Registration fees

Attendance at SAB90 will be open to any person paying the registration fee
which is set at $ 220 (or 1200 FF) for non-students and $ 110 (or 600 FF)
for students.  The registration fee covers five lunches, coffee-breaks,
and a copy of the Proceedings.

 *WARNING: The audience size is strictly limited to 150 persons. Registrations*
 *will be closed beyond this number.                                          *

REGISTRATION FORM

Last name:                          First name:

Profession/Title:

Address:

State/Zip Code/Country:

Telephone:

Fax:

E-mail:

This form should be sent to:

                  Dr. Jean-Arcady MEYER
                  Groupe de BioInformatique
                  URA686. Ecole Normale Superieure
                  46 rue d'Ulm
                  75230 PARIS Cedex 05
                  FRANCE

with a check for the registration fee to the order of:

                  J.A. MEYER 'SAB90'

The check can be in US Dollars or French Francs. To receive the student rate,
please attach evidence of student status from your University or Scientific
Advisor.

------------------------------

Subject: Call for Papers - ICGA-91
From:    booker@AIC.NRL.Navy.Mil
Date:    Tue, 24 Jul 90 13:10:16 -0400

                              Call for Papers

                                 ICGA-91

                    The Fourth International Conference on
                             Genetic Algorithms

The Fourth International Conference on Genetic Algorithms (ICGA-91), will
be held on July 13-16, 1991 at the University of California - San Diego
in La Jolla, CA.  This meeting brings together an international community
from academia, government, and industry interested in algorithms
suggested by the evolutionary process of natural selection.  Topics of
particular interest include: genetic algorithms and classifier systems,
machine learning and optimization using these systems, and their
relations to other learning paradigms (e.g., connectionist networks).
Papers discussing how genetic algorithms and classifier systems are
related to biological modeling issues (e.g., evolution of nervous
systems, computational ethology, artificial life) are encouraged.

Papers describing significant, unpublished research in this area are
solicited.  Authors must submit four (4) complete copies of their paper,
postmarked by February 1, 1991, to the Program Co-Chair:

    Dr. Richard K. Belew
    Computer Science & Engr. Dept. (C-014)
    Univ. California - San Diego
    La Jolla, CA   92093

Electronic submissions (LaTeX source only) can be mailed to
rik@cs.ucsd.edu.  Papers should be no longer than 10 pages, single
spaced, and printed using 12 pt. type. All papers will be subject to peer
review. Evaluation criteria include the significance of results,
originality, and the clarity and quality of the presentation.

Important Dates:

        February 1, 1991:       Submissions must be postmarked
        March 22, 1991:         Notification to authors mailed
        May 6, 1991:            Revised, final camera-ready paper due
        July 13-16, 1991:       Conference dates

ICGA-91 Conference Committee:

        Conference Co-Chairs:   Kenneth A. De Jong, George Mason University
                                J. David Schaffer, Philips Labs

        Vice Chair and Publicity: David E. Goldberg, Univ. of Illinois at
                                Urbana-Champaign

        Program Co-Chairs:      Richard K. Belew, Univ. of California at
                                San Diego
                                Lashon B. Booker, MITRE

        Financial Chair:        Gil Syswerda, BBN

        Local Arrangements:     Richard K. Belew, Univ. of California at
                                San Diego

End of Neuron Digest [Volume 6 Issue 46]