[comp.ai.neural-nets] request for simple NN program

tdsmith@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Smith) (08/15/90)

    Are there any public domain, shareware or inexpensive Neural Net
programs for PCs?  (386/486 class)  Are they any good?  Please Email
    We would like to experiment with neural nets to see if they are
aplicable to rotorcraft control/antivibration systems.  Any experiences
in this area will also be greatly apreciated.  Thanks again,

Tim

christo@psych.toronto.edu (Christopher Green) (08/17/90)

In article <2973@nems.dt.navy.mil> tdsmith@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Timothy Smith) writes:

>    Are there any public domain, shareware or inexpensive Neural Net
>programs for PCs?  (386/486 class)  Are they any good?  Please Email

Please post a summary of the replies you get on this newsgroup!
thanks!
-christopher green-

chuck@utkux1.utk.edu (chuck) (08/23/90)

	I had occasion recently to compile this list as an appendix to
my MS thesis.  Enjoy, but please try to be considerate of the authors.
If you want one at your site, have it installed by your system folks
(really only true of the larger ones. . .) to prevent multiple copies
and mass FTP loads!

	Enjoy.  It's been fun!

chuck

________

A list of publicly available simulators for artificial neural networks.

	The following list is by no means to be considered complete or
exhaustive, it merely represents those simulators which have come to my
attention through postings on the internet and articles in various
journals.  Inclusion in this list represents no particular endorsement,
and ommission from the list should be regarded as unfortunate oversight
on the author's part.  The list is provided as a starting point for
individuals and institutions who desire to obtain software suitable to
their needs who wish to examine these offerings.
	The term "publically available" may be taken to mean anything
available at nominal or no cost through channels other than those
conventionally regarded as commercial software products.  Since the term
'public domain' has become synonimous with free and unrestricted
software it should be noted in passing that much of what is available
is, in fact, copyrighted work which must be licensed --albeit at no
cost.
	The term 'ftp' used below stands for file transfer
protocol, which is a means of obtaining and transfering files
between computers linked by an international computer network
collectively know as the Internet.  To obtain more information
concerning ftp or the Internet, please consult operators of your
local computing facility.  The format used for site addresses and
electronic mail addresses below conforms to that currently used on
the Internet. I have included alternate means of obtaining the
simulators where they have come to my attention.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
bps - George Mason University Back Prop Simulator
Current version is 1.01 (Nov., 1989)

A special-purpose simulator for Back Propagation and a BP speedup
technique called 'gradient correlation' [IJCNN, Jan., 1990].

Available via anonymous ftp from gmuvax2.gmu.edu (129.174.1.8).

Distributed as executables for VAX 8530 under Ultrix 3.0, and versions
for 8088 based IBM PC, and 80286/386 IBM PC machines.  Includes
examples and a tutorial document.  Source code license is available.
Contact:

Eugene Norris				(703) 323-2713
Computer Science Department		enorris@gmuvax2.gmu.edu
George Mason University
Fairfax, Virginia  22032

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Back Propagation simulator [Name and version not known.]

A special-purpose simulator for back propagation using several training
methods.

Distributed on disk for the IBM PC, with mouse and VGA or EGA display.

To obtain it, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope and a floppy disk
(3.5" or 5.25") to:

                Universitt Kassel
                Fachbereich Mathematik
                Forschungsgruppe Neuronale Netzwerke
                Heinrich-Plett-Str 40
                3500 Kassel
                West Germany

[Report taken from Internet News, October, 1989. ]

++++++++++++++++++++++++
MIRRORS/II -- Maryland MIRRORS/II Connectionist Simulator
A general-purpose connectionist simulator.

To obtain this simulator you must sign an institutional site license.  A
license for individuals is not acceptable.  The only costs incurred are
for postage for a printed copy of the manual and tape cartridge (you
send your own 1/4" cartridge or TK50 cartridge to them, if desired.)
Instructions for obtaining the software via ftp are returned to you upon
receipt of the license agreement.  To obtain a copy of the license send
your physical mail address via e-mail to:

                          mirrors@cs.umd.edu

or by U.S. Mail to:

                       Lynne D'Autrechy
                       University of Maryland
                       Department of Computer Science
                       College Park, MD  20742

	MIRRORS/II is implemented in Franz Lisp and will run under
Opuses 38, 42, and 43 of Franz Lisp on UNIX systems. It is currently
running on a MicroVAX, VAX and SUN 3.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
NeurDS -- The Neural Design and Simulation System.
Current Version is 3.1 (May, 1989.)

A general purpose simulator.

The system is licensed on a no-fee basis to educational instutions by
Digital Equipment Corporation.  To obtain information, send your
physical or electronic mail address to:

Max McClanahan			mcclanahan%cookie.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation
1175 Chapel Hills Drive
Colorado Springs, Colorado  80920-3952

You should receive instructions on how to obtain a copy of the manual
and copies of the license agreement.  [Beyond receipt of the license
agreement, I do not know the details of distribution.]

The NeurDS system will run on any Digital platform including Vax/VMS,
Vax/Ultrix, and DECsystem/Ultrix.  A graphics terminal is not required
to support the window interface.

Specific models are described using a superset of the C programming
language, and compiled into a simulator form.  This simulator can accept
command scripts or interactive commands.  Output can take the form of a
window-type envirionment on VT100 terminals, or non-window output on any
terminal.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
FULL -- Fully connected temporally recurrent neural networks.
A demonstration network described in "Learning State Space Trajectories
in Recurrent Neural Networks" [no other reference material!]

	The author (whose name is Barak Pearlmutter of the Journal of
Neural Computation, 'bap@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu') describes this as "a bare
bones simulator for [. . .] temporally recurrent neural networks" and
claims that it should vectorize and parrallelize well.  It is available
for ftp from doghen.boltz.cs.cmu.edu.  Login as 'ftpguest' password
'oaklisp'. Be sure to ftp as binary for the file 'full/full.tar.Z' (you
must either use a directory named full on your local machine, or use
'get' and let it prompt you for remote and local file names.) Do not
attempt to change directories.  It is copyrighted and is given out for
academic purposes.

[The information dates from November of 1988.]

++++++++++++++++++++++++
GRADSIM Connectionist Network Simulator. A special-purpose
simulator specifically designed for experiments with the temporal
flow model.

Latest Version 1.7

The simulator is available for anonymous ftp from ai.toronto.edu
(128.100.1.65).  For information contact:

Raymond Watrous			watrous@ai.toronto.edu
Department of Computer Science
University of Toronto
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A4

	In C, implementations on VAX (VMS & Ultrix), Sun and CYBER are
mentioned.  A graphical interface is 'under development.' (March, 1988.)
Includes an excellent article with references.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
opt -- A Neural-Net Training Program Based on Conjugate-Gradient
Optimization.  A special-purpose simulator. [Current version unknown.]

Available for anonymous ftp from cse.ogc.edu (129.95.40.2) from the
directory "/ogc2/guest/ftp/pub/nnvowels".  Consult the file 'README'
for more instructions.  For further information, you might contact
'opt-dist@cse.ogc.edu'.

	Basically  C code to be compiled under BSD Unix, with no
graphic interface. They do maintain a list of users, perhaps a
mailing list.  An unsigned paper describing the technique and use
of the simulator is included.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

CasCor1 -- Cascade-Correlation Simulator
A special-purpose simulator for experimenting with the
Cascade-Correlation algorithm described in:

Fahlman, Scott, and C. Lebiere. "The Cascade-Correlation Learning
	Architecture."  In _Advances in Neural Information
	Processing Systems 2_, edited by D. S. Touretzky. New York :
	Morgan Kaufman Publishers, 1990.

It is available for anonymous ftp from pt.cs.cmu.edu (128.2.254.155) in
the directory "/afs/cs/project/connect/code" (subdirectories may be
available, but parent directories may not be.)  There are Lisp and C
versions available, as well as several other programs.  The simulator is
placed in the public domain.  For information contact:

Scott E. Fahlman			fahlman@cs.cmu.edu
School of Computer Science
Carnegie-Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA  15217

The original version by Scott Fahlman was written in Common Lisp and
has been tested on CMU Common Lisp on the IBM RT, Allegro Common Lisp
(beta test) for Decstation 3100, and Sun/Lucid Common Lisp on the Sun
3.  This program was translated into C by Scott Crowder.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
GENESIS - GEneral NEural SImulation System with
XODUS   - X-windows Output and Display Utility for Simulations
A general simulator.

Currently Beta-Test Version, 1990.

From the release announcement ( January, 1990 by Jim Bower ):

"	Full source for the simulator is available via FTP from
genesis.cns.caltech.edu (131.215.135.64).  To acquire FTP access to
this machine it is necessary to first register for distribution by
using telnet or rlogin to login under user "genesis" and then follow
the instructions (e.g. 'telnet genesis.cns.caltech.edu' and ' login as
'genesis').  When necessary, tapes can be provided for a small handling
fee ($50).  Those requiring tapes should send requests to
genesis-req@caltech.bitnet.  Any other questions about the system or
its distribution should also be sent to this address.

	GENESIS and XODUS are written in C and run on SUN and DEC
graphics work stations under UNIX (version 4.0 and up), and X-windows
(version 11).  The software requires 14 meg of disk space and the tar
file is approximately 1 meg.

	The current distribution includes full source for both GENESIS
and XODUS as well as three tutorial simulations (squid axon, multicell,
visual cortex).  Documentation for these tutorials as well as three
papers describing the structure of the simulator are also included. As
described in more detail in the "readme" file at the FTP address, those
interested in in developing new GENESIS applications are encouraged to
become registered members of the GENESIS users group (BABEL) for an
additional one time $200 registration fee.  As a registered user, one
is provided documentation on the simulator itself (currently in an
early stage), access to additional simulator components, bug report
listings, and access to a user's bulletin board.  In addition we are
establishing a depository for additional completed simulations. "

++++++++++++++++++++++++
SunNet
A generalized simulator.

Version 5.5.2.4

Available for anonymous ftp from boulder.colorado.edu (128.138.240.1).

While this program was obviously written for Sun workstations (versions
for suntools and the X-window envirionment), the documents list other
configurations.  These include a non-graphic version which runs on "any
UNIX machine", and versions which run on an Alliant or UNIX machine and
send data to a graphics support program running on a Sun workstation.
It is very easy to install.

A mailing list exists for users of the simulator.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
RCS - The Rochester Connectionist Simulator
A general simulator.

Version 4.2

Available for anonymous ftp from cs.rochester.edu (192.5.53.209).
Tapes may be purchased (1600 bpi 1/2" reel or QIC-24 Sun 1/4" cartridge)
from:
		Peg Meeker
		Computer Science Department
		University of Rochester
		Rochester, New York  14627

C source code is provided, including a graphic interface which may
function under X Windows or SunView on Sun Workstations.  A wide
variety of Unix machines are supported, and the simulator may be
used without the graphics interface.  A version for the MacIntosh
is included in the distribution.  Mailing lists exist for users
and bug reports.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
SFINX  -- Structure and Function in Neural Connections
A General Simulator.

Version 2.0 ( November, 1989 )

In order to ftp this simulator, a license agreement must be submitted.
Upon receipt of this agreement, instructions and the password to ftp
the software are made available.  To obtain the license write:

		Machine Perception Laboratory
		Computer Science Department
		University of California
		Los Angeles, CA 90024

This system requires color to operate the graphics interface, but may
be operated without graphics.  Support for Sun, Ardent Titan, HP 300,
and IBM PC RT machines is specifically mentioned --but other Unix
platforms should function as well.  Specific graphics support is provided
for Matrox VIP 1024, Imagraph AGC-1010P, HP Starbase and X Windows.  A
version providing support for monochrome graphics is expected to be
released in Fall, 1990.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Mactivation
A specialized simulator for investigating associative memory using the
delta rule and Hebbian Learning.

Version 3.2

A public domain version is available for anonymous ftp from the
University of Colorado at Boulder (boulder.colorado.edu, 128.138.240.1)
or possibly by contacting the author.

			Mike Kranzdorf
			University of Colorado
			Optoelectronic Computing Systems Center
			Campus Box 525
			Boulder, Colorado  80309-0525

			mikek@boulder.colorado.edu

Future versions will probably not be public domain, but will be
availble from Oblio, Inc., 5942 Sugarloaf Road, Boulder, Colorado
80309.

Provided as executables for the Apple MacIntosh.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Several special purpose simulators are provided with the following
book:

McClelland, J. L., and David.E. Rumelhart. _Explorations in
Parallel Distributed Processing_. Cambrige: MIT Press, 1988.

Versions exist which contain C code for the IBM PC, and a version
has recently been released for the Apple MacIntosh.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hopfield-style Network Simulator
A Special Purpose simulator for experimentation with the Hopfield-style
network developed by the author.

Software is available by e-mail upon request from the author, Arun
Jagota (jagota@cs.buffalo.edu).  It is written in C and should be
useful on 32-bit Unix machines, and a MSDOS version is also supplied.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Several demonstration-type simulators have been published as source
code in various journals.  These are cited below:

Brown, Robert Jay. "An Artificial Neural Network Experiment."
	_Dr. Dobb's Journal_ (April, 1987) 16ff.

Colvin, Gregory. "Synapsys: A Neural Network." _The C Users Journal_
	(April, 1989) 59ff.

King, Todd. "Using Neural Networks for Pattern Recognition."
	_Dr. Dobb's Journal_ (January, 1989) 14ff.

Klimasauskas, Casey. "Neural Nets and Noise Filtering."
	_Dr. Dobb's Journal_ (January, 1989) 32ff.

Jones, Wiliam P., and Josiah Hoskins. "Back-Propagation." _Byte_
	(October, 1987) 155ff.