[comp.ai.neural-nets] Optical NN Chip

loren@tristan.llnl.gov (Loren Petrich) (08/31/90)

	This had appeared in a recent NN digest posting:

Subject: neural stuff
From:    ellen_warneke%a1@hp1900.desk.hp.com
Date:    23 Aug 90 09:37:00 -0800

[[ Editor's Note: This was forwarded by my friendly local librarian.
Does anyone have any more information? -PM ]]

DR152.02: The MITSUBISHI ELECTRIC Central Laboratory has developed an
optical neuro chip that can recognize characters more accurately than
conventional devices.  The chip, which is designed to recognize
characters, "A," "E," and "J," integrates 32 light emitting devices, 32
photo detectors, and 1,024 spatial modulation devices on an 8mm-x-8mm
GaAs (gallium arsenide) chip.  Having a quantum-well structure, the chip
has 32 neurons.  Spatial modulation devices function to connect neurons,
and the three character patterns are imbedded on the devices.  Since the
lab already developed an optical chip for identifying three characters in
November 1988, the neuro chip is a second prototype chip.  (8/21/90:
Nikkei Sangyo [p.5])

	Does anyone have any further information on how this chip works?

	And the characters "A", "E", and "J" are described as having
been encoded into the chip. I wonder how this was accomplished, and I
wonder how well this chip performs on examples of varying quality that
it was not trained on.

	One of my colleagues has been contemplating an opto-electronic
NN design, and he might be interested to learn of a successful
implementation.

Loren Petrich, the Master Blaster: loren@sunlight.llnl.gov

Since this nodename is not widely known, you may have to try:

loren%sunlight.llnl.gov@star.stanford.edu