[comp.ai.neural-nets] Mactivation

pcampb@shiva.trl.oz (Peter Campbell) (09/07/90)

Recently there was an article stating that a copy of a neural network
simulator for the Mac called Mactivation (Version 3.2) was on
colorado.boulder.edu available for anonymous ftp collection.

I just went in and in the /pub directory found a file called
mactivation.3.2.sit.hqx.Z, but got suspicious as this file is only 2921
bytes long.  I had a look at it, and found that it is actually a
DIRECTORY listing of the same account - only the mactivation file in the
listing is a couple of hundred K long.

Hence, it would appear that someone has managed to overwrite the file
with a directory listing.  Is there any chance of it being replaced and
a message sent to this newsgroup to say when it has happened?

Thanks in advance.

Peter K. Campbell                      |
2/M6                                   |
Telecom Research Laboratories          | Phone : + 613 541 6751
P.O. Box 249                           | Fax   : + 613 543 6026
Clayton 3168                           | Email : p.campbell@trl.OZ.AU
Victoria, Australia                    |

mikek@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Mike Kranzdorf) (09/07/90)

In article <2189@trlluna.trl.oz> pcampb@shiva.trl.oz (Peter Campbell) writes:
>Recently there was an article stating that a copy of a neural network
>simulator for the Mac called Mactivation (Version 3.2) was on
>colorado.boulder.edu available for anonymous ftp collection.
>
>I just went in and in the /pub directory found a file called
>mactivation.3.2.sit.hqx.Z, but got suspicious as this file is only 2921

---Sorry for the delay in posting this; there's something wrong
---with my Pnews.

Mactivation version 3.3 is available via anonymous ftp on
alumni.Colorado.EDU (internet address 128.138.240.32)
The file is in /pub and is called mactivation.3.3.sit.hqx
(It is stuffited and binhex'ed) To get it, try this:

ftp alumni.Colorado.EDU
anonymous
<any password will do>
binary
cd /pub
get mactivation.3.3.sit.hqx

Then get it to your Mac and use Stuffit to uncompress it and BinHex 4.0
to make it back into an application.

If you can't make ftp work, or you want a copy with the nice MS Word
docs, then send $5 to:

Mike Kranzdorf
P.O. Box 1379
Nederland, CO 80466-1379
USA

For those who don't know about Mactivation, here's the summary:

Mactivation is an introductory neural network simulator which runs on
all Apple Macintosh computers. A graphical interface provides direct
access to units, connections, and patterns. Basic concepts of network
operations can be explored, with many low level parameters available
for modification. Back-propagation is not supported (coming in 4.0)
A user's manual containing an introduction to connectionist networks
and program documentation is included. The ftp version includes a
plain text file, while the MS Word version available from the author
contains nice graphics and footnotes. The program may be freely
copied, including for classroom distribution.

--mikek

internet: mikek@boulder.colorado.edu
uucp:{ncar|nbires}!boulder!mikek
AppleLink: oblio