[comp.ai.neural-nets] possible NN application

eesnyder@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Eric E. Snyder) (09/26/90)

I am currently trying to develop a NN model to determine
a quantitative relationship between nucleotide sequences and
functional activities.

The data takes the following form:

sequence		activity

ATTTCT			2.3
ACCTCC			3.0
AAATCG 			2.5

etc....

I would like to develop a general model which can predict activity
given a new sequence.

This is my first AI project.  I would like to hear about
similar work that has already been done, as well as possible
approaches to this problem.

Thanks!

TTGATTGCTAAACACTGGGCGGCGAATCAGGGTTGGGATCTGAACAAAGACGGTCAGATTCAGTTCGTACTGCTG
Eric E. Snyder
Department of MCD Biology               Proctoscopy recapitulates
University of Colorado, Boulder         hagiography.
Boulder, Colorado 80309-0347
LeuIleAlaLysHisTrpAlaAlaAsnGlnGlyTrpAspLeuAsnLysAspGlyGlnIleGlnPheValLeuLeu

usenet@nlm.nih.gov (usenet news poster) (09/27/90)

In article <26964@boulder.Colorado.EDU> eesnyder@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Eric E. Snyder) writes:
>I am currently trying to develop a NN model to determine
>a quantitative relationship between nucleotide sequences and
>functional activities.
>
>The data takes the following form:
>
>sequence		activity
>
>ATTTCT			2.3
>ACCTCC			3.0
>AAATCG 			2.5
>
>etc....
>
>I would like to develop a general model which can predict activity
>given a new sequence.

What specifically did you have in mind?  The use of neural networks in
molecular sequence has been explored by a number of workers.  A couple
recent examples include:

Holley and Karplus, PNAS 86:152-6 (1989)
title: Protein secondary structure prediction with a neural network.

Qian N; Sejnowski TJ, J Mol Biol 202: 865-84 (1988)
title: Predicting the secondary structure of globular proteins using
	neural network models.

Lukashin AV; Anshelevich VV; Amirikyan BR; Gragerov AI; Frank-Kamenetskii MD
J Biomol Struct Dyn 6: 1123-33 (1989)
title: Neural network models for promoter recognition.

Bohr H; Bohr J; Brunak S; Cotterill RM; Lautrup B; Norskov L; Olsen OH;
Petersen SB, FEBS Lett 241: 223-8 (1988)
title: Protein secondary structure and homology by neural networks. The
    alpha-helices in rhodopsin.

Kneller DG; Cohen FE; Langridge R, J Mol Biol 214: 171-82 (1990)
title: Improvements in protein secondary structure prediction by an enhanced
    neural network.

>Eric E. Snyder

David States