[comp.ai.neural-nets] d

oreillyj@ul.ie (10/24/90)

Hi all,
	I'm currently working in the area of speech recognition using
neural networks and would be grateful if anybody could help in relation
to the following

* does anybody know of any speech acquisition boards for PCs.  We
  are currently using an existing database of sounds but wish to
  record and process our own.  What we are looking for is something
  that will acquire, preprocess and digitize the speech signal as
  well as providing some means of feature extraction.

* has anybody tried implementing neural networks using INMOS transputers?
  I haven't started getting into it and am wondering whether it is worth
  the effort.

* are there many people out there working on neural network based speech
  recognition?  if there is, I think there should really be another
  newgroup set up specifically for this subject.  This last point is
  just an idea but help on the other two would be gratefully
  appreciated.

E-mail to : oreillyj@ul.ie

John O'Reilly,
Neural Network Group,
Dept. of Electronic and Computer Engineering,
University of Limerick,
Limerick.
Phone : 353 - 61 - 333644
Fax  : 353 - 61 - 330316

ajr@eng.cam.ac.uk (Tony Robinson) (10/25/90)

In article <9279.2724bc2c@ul.ie> oreillyj@ul.ie writes:
>* has anybody tried implementing neural networks using INMOS transputers?
>  I haven't started getting into it and am wondering whether it is worth
>  the effort.

I use an array of 64 transputers, each one gives me about 0.8 MFLOPS so you
need a few of them to get anywhere, and then you have lots of fun dealing
with the parallel programming problems.  My opinion is that the T800
transputer technology is now outdated, but parallel machines are good for
training artificial neural networks if you have the time and patience to do
the parallel programming.

>* are there many people out there working on neural network based speech
>  recognition?  if there is, I think there should really be another
>  newgroup set up specifically for this subject.

Speech recognition is one of the big application areas, however, I don't
think that there is enough traffic for a comp.ai.neural-nets.speech.  I made
a tentative suggestion in comp.dsp and news.groups a while back about a
comp.speech/comp.ai.speech newsgroup, which was to cover all aspects of
speech processing (e.g. coding, synthesis and recognition).  Only a few
people replied so I gave up the idea.  Maybe there is more interest from the
comp.ai.neural-nets readership?

Tony Robinson