[comp.ai.neural-nets] TIMIT speech database for speech recognition

oreillyj@ul.ie (10/26/90)

Hello again,

	I was on a while back asking about acquisition cards for our speech
recognition project.  My problem now is the availability of the TIMIT speech
database.  I have been given a contact e-mail address for a certain John
Garafolo at the National Institute of Standards and Technology in the US but
as yet have received no reply from him.  I would like to get hold of this
database, which comes in CD-ROM format, as soon as possible so if anyone knows
anything I'd be grateful if they'd contact me at : oreillyj@ul.ie.
	Alternatively if you know of any other widely used databases I'd be
interested to know of them.

John O'Reilly,
Neural Network Group,
Dept. Electronic and Computer Engineering,
University of Limerick,
Limerick,
Ireland.
Phone : 353 - 61 - 333644
Fax   : 353 - 61 - 330316

danforth@riacs.edu (Douglas G. Danforth) (10/27/90)

In <9329.272765ea@ul.ie> oreillyj@ul.ie writes:

>Hello again,

>	I was on a while back asking about acquisition cards for our speech
>recognition project.  My problem now is the availability of the TIMIT speech
>database.  I have been given a contact e-mail address for a certain John
>Garafolo at the National Institute of Standards and Technology in the US but
>as yet have received no reply from him.  I would like to get hold of this
>database, which comes in CD-ROM format, as soon as possible so if anyone knows
>anything I'd be grateful if they'd contact me at : oreillyj@ul.ie.
>	Alternatively if you know of any other widely used databases I'd be
>interested to know of them.

>John O'Reilly,
>Neural Network Group,
>Dept. Electronic and Computer Engineering,
>University of Limerick,
>Limerick,
>Ireland.
>Phone : 353 - 61 - 333644
>Fax   : 353 - 61 - 330316

   I would urge you to wait and complete the contact with John Garafolo
at NIST.  By doing so, NIST maintains the central focal point for this
database.  They have several other speech files that you may be interested
in so ask for their list.  If after all this you still can not obtain
TIMIT then get back in touch with me.  We may be able to supply it on
compressed 8mm tape.
--
Douglas G. Danforth   		    (danforth@riacs.edu)
Research Institute for Advanced Computer Science (RIACS)