[comp.ai.neural-nets] game playing neural nets

simonof@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Simonoff Robert 301 540 1864) (10/25/90)

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has experience
with training neural networks on playing games.  I am
specifically interested in automatic learning of game
playing strategy - not simply just giving the network
a series of moves to memorize.  I have a theory in this field
that I would like to bounce off interested people and see if it is
original.

Thanks.
Bob Simonoff

Bob Simonoff
simonof@aplcen
Johns Hopkins University

rob@modus.sublink.ORG (Roberto O. Buratti) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct24.213603.23176@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>, simonof@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Simonoff Robert  301 540 1864) writes:
> ...I am
> specifically interested in automatic learning of game
> playing strategy - not simply just giving the network
> a series of moves to memorize.  I have a theory in this field
> that I would like to bounce off interested people and see if it is
> original.

I am not experienced with NN, but I too have developed an (interesting?)
idea in this field.
Suppose you have a 2-player perfect-info game such as chess, ttt, etc...
You can then use a net as move-generator / evaluation-function in a
canonical alpha-beta search. I would like to discuss this idea with
experts and read some paper, but at the moment I have no bibliografy to
send to you. Sorry if I can't help more than this...
Please forward to me any interesting paper.

Rob
--
  _ _           __             Via Aleardo Aleardi, 12 - 20154 Milano (Italy)
______________________________ Software & Services for Advertising & Marketing