[net.micro] Software Spooler for Serial port plotter -Info Request.

davids@utcs.UUCP (David Schwartz) (07/09/85)

Waiting for an HP plotter to complete its work gets very frustrating, but
the only serial port buffers I've come across handle character output to a
printer.  With Quadram's QSPOOLSR for example, output to the plotter does not
seem to be picked up by the buffer.

Does anybody out there know of a SOFTWARE spooler/buffer to hold output to
a plotter?
Anyone been successful in using Quadram's QSPOOLSR to do this?

I`m using an IBM PC hooked up to a Hewlett Packard 7475A Plotter.
Please mail any information and if there's enough interest I'll post
a summary.

Thanks
--
----
University of Toronto Computing Services	       David Schwartz

brown@nicmad.UUCP (07/13/85)

In article <737@utcs.UUCP> davids@utcs.UUCP (David Schwartz) writes:

>Does anybody out there know of a SOFTWARE spooler/buffer to hold output to
>a plotter?
>Anyone been successful in using Quadram's QSPOOLSR to do this?
>
>I`m using an IBM PC hooked up to a Hewlett Packard 7475A Plotter.
>Please mail any information and if there's enough interest I'll post
>a summary.

Everyone may be interested in this reply, so here it is.  If not, here
come the flames.

If the software talks directly to the serial port, ie, com1 or com2, the
spooler will probably not work.  Normally they intercept the stuff going
to the Line Printer ports, lpt1 or lpt2.  Since the HP plotter is an
ASCII serial port device, the code probably goes to com1 or com2.  Like
I just said above, that may be your reason.
I have SUPERSPL, because I have the AST memory card.  Normally, if I have
a serial device attached, I leave the program alone, letting it output
to lpt1 and change SUPERSPL so that it redirects the output to com1 or 2.

See if you can get the output to go to LPT1 and use QSPOOLSR to redirect
it to COM1 or COM2.
--
              | |-------| o|    JVC HRD725U
              |------------|     VHS Hi-Fi (the only way to go)