[comp.ai.neural-nets] Request for info!

akishor@hubcap.clemson.edu (Bobby Kishore) (11/21/90)

Recently neural networks have caught my attention. Today I attended a
presentation by one of the phd students working in the area. His talk
was about data compression using neural networks.

In his talk he was speaking of a layer where in one has lesser number of
neurons and they in turn (with some error) produce the original output.

This made me think that by adding additional number of neurons in the
"middle" layer we may in fact create information. since I am not
famaliar with the work that has been done in this field maybe some of
you could throw some light on the issue. Also if there canbe such a
thing, can we have creativity like that of decision making, composing
poetry, etc???

Thanks in advance.

Bobby.

niranjan@eng.cam.ac.uk (Mahesan Niranjan) (11/23/90)

In article <11757@hubcap.clemson.edu> akishor@hubcap.clemson.edu (Bobby Kishore) writes:
>Recently neural networks have caught my attention. Today I attended a
[...]
>thing, can we have creativity like that of decision making, composing
>poetry, etc???

You dont need neural networks for this kind of "creativity"; what you need is
a million monkeys and an equal number of typewriters and...... :-) :-) :-)

niranjan