[comp.ai.neural-nets] Neuron Digest V6 #68

neuron@HPLPM.HPL.HP.COM ("Neuron-Digest Moderator Peter Marvit") (11/27/90)

Neuron Digest   Monday, 26 Nov 1990
                Volume 6 : Issue 68

Today's Topics:
                 Re: Neural Chess, I have developed one
                         evolution of "wetware"
                   recognition of signatures off-line
                       motor neuron control models
                           homo trans sapiens
                            Seismic analysis
                        want NETtalk phoneme data
                         Bay Area SIGINS Contact
                        Re: Neuron Digest V6 #66
                      call for papers for COLT '91
                         Postdoctoral Positions
                   Copenhagen Optimization Conference

Send submissions, questions, address maintenance and requests for old issues to
"neuron-request@hplabs.hp.com" or "{any backbone,uunet}!hplabs!neuron-request"
Use "ftp" to get old issues from hplpm.hpl.hp.com (15.255.176.205).

Subject: Re: Neural Chess, I have developed one
From:    David Kanecki <kanecki@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu>
Date:    Tue, 13 Nov 90 22:00:38 -0600

        Based upon the discussion in the previous  neuron digest a
computer chess program using neural networks was postulated. From initial
programming started in August of 1989 I was able to complete a neural
network chess program on March 20th, 1990. The program was able to win
one game from me while losing three. The main advantage of this program
was that it could work with different chess variations and generate a
move response in less than one minute on a CP/M machine.  Namely, the
osborne 1. Thus, intelligence beats brawn.

        The basis of the program was to use an actual neural network
system from biology. In this case I choose the the animal group Chordata.
And, the subclass mamallia. The program was built so that it had a
sympathetic and parasympathetic network. From this the program was able
to generate good moves without having to use the 'brawn' of the minimax
technique. And, with this initial program it is very easy for me to try
other levels of chess and more advanced versions of chess, ala Star Trek
chess.

        In conclusion I believe that the purpose of the microcomputer
revolution was not to duplicate what could be done on big whales of
mainframes, but by using intelligence a smaller, leaner, and more
innovative way of thinking and action would become common place. Also, I
have developed a neural simulator where I am offering free evaluations
for a limited time. Either send me a description of data or coded data
where I will send an evaluation by the program back. To obtain an example
on how to present data to the netowrk contact me at the bitnet address
below. Any comments or feedback wowuld be welcomed.

David H. Kanecki, Bio. Sci., A.C.S.
P.O. Box 93
Kenosha, WI 53141

bitnet: kanecki@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu

------------------------------

Subject: evolution of "wetware"
From:    "Bruce E. Nevin" <bnevin@ccb.bbn.com>
Date:    Wed, 14 Nov 90 08:10:25 -0500

> From: Volume 6 : Issue 66
> Subject: Re: Evolution
> From:    UAP001%DDOHRZ11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU, UAP001 at DDOHRZ11

> . . . Development of the cortex probably stopped abruptly (after a spurt
> of remarkable growth) about 100,000 years ago. . . .
> the reasonable assumption is that the wetware hasn't changed much since

There is a great deal of variation in the way human CNSs are "wired,"
none of which would leave fossil traces.  There is every reason to assume
such variation has always existed.  Variation is a necessary condition
for selection and evolutionary change.  Whether or not the variants show
up in the fossil record is a limitation of our evidence, not a constraint
on evolution as an ongoing process.

------------------------------

Subject: recognition of signatures off-line
From:    "Grup VLSI de la U. Autonoma de Barcelona" <IINF4%ccuab1.uab.es@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Date:    Thu, 15 Nov 90 15:22:00 +0000

I'm working in subjects related to pattern recognition. My interest is
focussed in writing recognition and more concretely in the recognition of
signatures off-line. I would like to compare the performance of neural
networks in front of standard techniques. Does anybody have information
about neural networks designed to deal with this problem?  Thank you in
advance.

F. Navarro
Universitat  Autonoma de Barcelona
Departament d'informatica
08193 Bellaterra
Barcelona, Spain

E-mail: IINF4@EBCCUAB1.bitnet

------------------------------

Subject: motor neuron control models
From:    Dr. Jack Meador <meador@eecs.wsu.edu>
Date:    Thu, 15 Nov 90 11:30:20 -0800

I am collecting information regarding the supervisory control of stretch
reflex to manipulate muscle movement.  References to people working with
or literature addressing the following topics is requested:

1. muscle models
2. spinal motor neural circuit models
3. supervisory control of motor circuits for muscle movement
4. bionic limbs
5. software which demonstrates any or all of the above

Please send your responses to the address listed below.  I will make the
results of this inquiry available to those requesting it at a later date.

Thank you for your responses.

Jack Meador / EECS Dept. / Washington State University / meador@eecs.wsu.edu

[[ Editor's Note: I hope Jack will share his results with the in this
Digest as well... -PM ]]

------------------------------

Subject: homo trans sapiens
From:    sct60a.sunyct.edu!sct60a.sunyct.edu!stu@sct60a.sunyct.edu (Stu Card)
Date:    Thu, 15 Nov 90 20:33:39 -0500

I fear that Elan Moritz may suffer from the widespread misconception that
natural evolution is purposive: that a species develops new traits in
order to achieve some goal.  This misconception is promoted by the use of
phrases such as 'adaptive strategy' by people who should know better.

Here is the low down on evolution, according to Darwin (who may
admittedly not have the last word), as I understand it:

1) THINGS HAPPEN.  All kinds of events simply TAKE PLACE, according to
whatever combination of determinism and randomness rules the universe.

2) As a result of things happening, SOME FORMS CHANGE.  It is the FORM
and not the SUBSTANCE that matters. Individual atoms of carbon, nitrogen,
etc. are replaced continuously in living organisms, yet the identity and
nature of the organism are not called into question, because the FORM has
remained the same.

3) Some of these changes result in the form being altered so SEVERELY
that we consider it to have become a completely different form (such as a
rotting corpse rather than a living organism).

4) Some of these changes, however, preserve the attributes of the form
which WE CONSIDER to be important, and change only little things.  If
these little changes are passed along to the offspring of the form, and
if these changes result in more of those offspring surviving future
rounds of THINGS HAPPENING (more, as compared with the same forms without
those little changes), without sufferring the SEVERE CHANGES noted above,
then we call the little changes SUCCESSFUL MUTATIONS.

5) Sex, viral infection, bacterial gene-swapping and possibly other
processes permit the alteration of forms through the exchange and
permutation of CODES of form which have already proven successful.  Thus
successful codes from different sources may combine to produce still
more-successful forms.

The point is, NONE OF THIS IS PURPOSIVE.  IT JUST HAPPENS!  All we mean
by 'successful' is that the form sticks around for a relatively long time
with relatively little change to those attributes of form which WE
CONSIDER to be important (defining) characteristics of that form.

Now to address the real issue:

How are the proposed characteristics of homo trans sapiens going to cause
more of his offspring to survive and successfully reproduce?

I fully agree that it would be NICE to have more brainpower.  However,
given the mutual support systems (technological, economic, political,
etc.)  developed by domesticated primates ('humans' or 'homo sapiens'),
it would appear that more brainpower is not going to give an individual a
significantly higher probability of reaching reproductive age, nor a
higher number of offspring.

Please, somebody, prove me wrong! My conclusions are depressing.

NOTE: What I have said only pertains to NATURAL evolution --
bioengineers, genetecists, cyborg-builders, roboticists, etc. NEED NOT BE
CONCERNED and indeed should plug away, as they seem to be our only hope!
Oh, sorry, accidentally left out you mystics...

:-E/>

Stu Card (nobody important)
stu@sct60a.sunyct.edu

------------------------------

Subject: Seismic analysis
From:    erik@goofy.llnl.gov (Erik Johannson)
Date:    Fri, 16 Nov 90 10:24:09 -0800

Jerry -

My colleague Farid Dowla is involved in seismic analysis, and has done
significant work in the field using neural networks and conventional
signal processing methods.  You can reach him at:

Farid Dowla
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
PO Box 808, L-205
Livermore, CA 94550

(415) 423-7579
dowla@s75.es.llnl.gov

Sincerely,

Erik M. Johansson
erik@goofy.llnl.gov

------------------------------

Subject: want NETtalk phoneme data
From:    DAVID@VSMJC.SCRI.FSU.EDU
Date:    Sun, 18 Nov 90 21:26:40 -0500

I am trying to locate the data that Sejnowski and Rosenberg used to train
their NETtalk network.  If anyone has this data or knows a machine that I
could anonymously ftp it from, I would greatly appreciate hearing about
it.

Alternatively, if someone out there has the e-mail address(es) of the two
authors, I could contact them directly.

 -David LaSalle
Email: dlasalle@evax0.eng.fsu.edu

USnail:
Dept of Elec. Eng.
Florida State Univ.
P.O. Box 2175
Tallahassee, FL 32316-2175

------------------------------

Subject: Bay Area SIGINS Contact
From:    "Neuron-Digest Moderator -- Peter Marvit" <neuron@hplabs.hpl.hp.com>
Date:    Tue, 20 Nov 90 18:34:09 -0800

[[ Editor's Note: This fellow telephoned me today.  He has just returned
from six months in Germany doing neural net research.  He had volunteered
to the the coordinator of the SIGINS for the San Francisco Bay area, but
discovered that the contact information (submitted by someone else) had
erroneously included the wrong telephone number.  I'm submitting this
note on his behalf until he is able to get his new office back on line.
Welcome back, Andras!  -PM ]]

Greetings,

I am Dr. Andras Pellionisz and am the San Francisco Bay Area coordinator
for the SIGINS (Special Interest Group for Neural Systems) of the INNS
(International Neural Network Society).  You can contact me for
membership and meeting information at the following telephone numbers:

        Work:  415/604-4821
        FAX:   415/604-0046

I do not have a regular e-mail address yet since I just arrived back at
NASA's Ames Research Center, but can be reached through a colleague's
account at lichunwu@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov.

I look forward to hearing from Bay Area people!

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Neuron Digest V6 #66
From:    landman@hanami.Eng.Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman)
Date:    20 Nov 90 01:30:34 +0000

>From:    UAP001%DDOHRZ11.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU,
>Date:    Tue, 13 Nov 90 16:12:31 +0700

>Think of what (insert name of your favorite intellectual
>hero here) did with the available circuits.

>It could of course be argued that such exceptions had exceptional
>hardware (although there's never been convincing anatomic or histologic
>evidence for this).

Anyone who's seen (or even read descriptions of) the brain of C.F.Gauss
would have strong reason to disagree with this statement.

Its cortex had about twice as many folds as that of a "normal" human brain.

        Howard A. Landman
        landman@eng.sun.com -or- sun!landman

------------------------------

Subject: call for papers for COLT '91
From:    David Haussler <haussler@saturn.ucsc.edu>
Date:    Sun, 18 Nov 90 22:18:16 -0800

                    CALL FOR PAPERS

                       COLT '91
      Fourth Workshop on Computational Learning Theory
             Santa Cruz, CA.  August 5-7, 1991

The fourth workshop on Computational Learning Theory will be held at
the Santa Cruz Campus of the University of California.  Registration
is open, within the limits of the space available (about 150 people).

In previous years COLT has focused primarily on developments in the
analysis of learning algorithms within certain computational learning
models. This year we would like to widen the scope of the workshop by
encouraging papers in all areas that relate directly to the theory of
machine learning, including artificial and biological neural networks,
robotics, pattern recognition, information theory, decision theory,
Bayesian/MDL estimation, and cryptography. We look forward to a lively,
interdisciplinary meeting.

As part of our program, we are pleased to present two special invited talks.

        "Gambling, Inference and Data Compression"
          Prof. Tom Cover of Stanford University

        "The Role of Learning in Autonomous Robots"
          Prof. Rodney Brooks of MIT

Authors should submit an extended abstract that consists of:

      (1) A cover page with title, authors' names,
          (postal and e-mail) addresses, and a 200 word summary.
      (2) A body not longer than 10 pages in twelve-point font.

   Be sure to include a clear definition of the theoretical model used, an
overview of the results, and some discussion of their significance, including
comparison to other work. Proofs or proof sketches should be included in the
technical section.  Experimental results are welcome, but are expected to be
supported by theoretical analysis. Authors should send 11 copies of their
abstract to L.G. Valiant, COLT '91, Aiken Computing Laboratory, Harvard
University, Cambridge, MA 02138. The deadline for receiving submissions
is February 15, 1991.  This deadline is FIRM. Authors will be notified by
April 8; final camera-ready papers will be due May 22.  The proceedings will
be published by Morgan-Kaufmann.  Each individual author will keep the copyright
to his/her abstract, allowing subsequent journal submission of the full paper.

Chair: Manfred Warmuth (UC Santa Cruz).

Local arrangements chair: David Helmbold (UC Santa Cruz).

Program committee: Leslie Valiant (Harvard, chair), Dana Angluin (Yale),
Andrew Barron (U. Illinois), Eric Baum (NEC, Princeton), Tom Dietterich
(Oregon State U.), Mark Fulk (U. Rochester), Alon Itai (Technion, Israel),
Michael Kearns (Int. Comp. Sci. Inst., Berkeley), Ron Rivest (MIT),
Naftali Tishby (Bell Labs, Murray Hill), Manfred Warmuth (UCSC).

Hosting Institution: Department of Computer and Information Science,
UC Santa Cruz.

Papers that have appeared in journals or other conferences, or that are
being submitted to other conferences are not appropriate for submission to COLT.
Unlike previous years, this includes papers submitted to the IEEE Symposium
on Foundations of Computer Science (FOCS).  We no longer have a dual
submission policy with FOCS.

Note: this call is being distributed to THEORY-NET, ML-LIST, CONNECTIONISTS,
Alife, NEWS.ANNOUNCE.CONFERENCES, COMP.THEORY, COMP.AI, COMP.AI.EDU,
COMP.AI.NEURAL-NETS, and COMP.ROBOTICS. Please help us by forwarding it
to colleagues who may be interested and posting it on any other
relevant electronic networks.

- ------- End of Forwarded Message

------------------------------

Subject: Postdoctoral Positions
From:    Jordan B Pollack <pollack@cis.ohio-state.edu>
Date:    Tue, 20 Nov 90 13:00:39 -0500

            POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWS IN COGNITIVE SCIENCE
                    The Ohio State University

The Center for Cognitive Science at the Ohio State University has several
openings for postdoctoral researchers. We will consider recent Ph.D.'s in
all areas of Cognitive Science based on overall quality of research and
commitment to interdisciplinary work.  Applications are especially
encouraged from candidates in areas in which we have active faculty
interests.(See attached note)

These two-year positions will begin July 1991 and carry a yearly stipend
of $25,000 with $1000 for moving expenses and $1000 per year for research
and travel.  An office and computer access will be provided by the
Center.  The Center for Cognitive Science is an interdisciplinary
University-wide research center with approximately eighty members from
sixteen departments.  OSU is one of the largest universities in the
country with significant research resources including a Cray YMP and a
PET scanner. Columbus provides a high quality of life along with very
affordable housing.

To apply, send your vita, reprints and a statement of research interests
and a research plan, tell us the name of the faculty member(s) you wish
to work with at OSU, and arrange for three recommendation letters to be
sent to:

Postdoctoral Search Commmittee
Center for Cognitive Science
208 Ohio Stadium East
1961 Tuttle Park Place
Columbus, OH 43210-1102

Materials must be postmarked by January 15, 1991.  The Ohio State
University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.

 -------------------------------------

I've put a summary of the main interests of the center in neuroprose
(file OSU.Cogsci). Personally, I am looking for someone with a solid
background in non-linear dynamical systems to collaborate on the question
of how fractals and chaos are exploited by cognition. Other opportunities
exist in neuroscience, AI, vision, speech, language, music, motor
control, philosophy of mind, and elsewhere, under sponsorship of faculty
in those areas. Please contact me (and/or any other faculty you know at
OSU) for further info.

Jordan Pollack                            Assistant Professor
CIS Dept/OSU                              Laboratory for AI Research
2036 Neil Ave                             Email: pollack@cis.ohio-state.edu
Columbus, OH 43210                        Fax/Phone: (614) 292-4890

------------------------------

Subject: Copenhagen Optimization Conference
From:    WANG@nbivax.nbi.dk
Date:    Wed, 21 Nov 90 12:56:00 +0100

                          INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE

                                     ON

                       NOVEL METHODS IN OPTIMIZATION

                             February 7 - 8, 1991

                                arranged by

                                  NORDITA
                  Nordic Institute of Theoretical Physics
                                Copenhagen

                                    and

                                    DIKU
                      Department of Computer Science
                         University of Copenhagen

         supported by funding from Nordic Initiative for Neural
         Computation (NINC)

              In recent years there has been an increasing
         interest in using neural networks, simulated annealing, and
         genetics as modelling frames of reference to construct novel
         search heuristics for solving hard optimization problems.
         Algorithms constructed in this way, together with tabu search,
         constitute promising new approaches to optimization and are
         the subjects of this conference.
              The aim of the conference is to bring together researchers
         in classical optimization and researchers working with the
         novel methods, thus enabling a fruitful exchange of information
         and results.  An important part of the conference will be a
         tutorial presentation of both classical and new methods to
         establish a common base for discussion among the participants.

         Tutorial session.
         -----------------

              The first day of the conference will be devoted to
         introductory lectures given by invited speakers.  The lectures
         will be on:

         * Classical Optimization.

           a) Laurence Wolsey, Center for Operations Research and
              Econometrics, Universite de Louvain, Belgium:
              Introduction to Classical Optimization: P-problems and
              their solution.

           b) Susan Powell, London School of Economics:
              Introduction to Classical Optimization: NP-problems and
              their solution.

         * Neural Networks.

           Carsten Peterson, Lund University, Sweden:  The use of neural
           networks and optimization.

         * Simulated Annealing.

           (Speaker to be announced later)

         * Genetic Algorithms.

           (Speaker to be announced later)

         * Tabu Search.

           (Speaker to be announced later)

         * Statistical Mechanics.

           Marc Mezard, Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris:
           "Formal statistical mechanical methods in
           optimization problems."

         About the speakers:

         Laurence A. Wolsey is Professor of Applied Mathematics at CORE
         and is one of the leading researchers in the field of computational
         mathematical programming.  He received the Beale-Orchard-Hays prize
         for his work in 1988, and is one of the authors of the widely used
         book "Integer and Combinatorial Optimization".

         Susan Powell is Lecturer in Operations Research at London School
         of Economics and is well known for her work on Fortran Codes for
         linear and integer programs. She has a solid background in prac-
         tical problem solving through her contacts with industry and
         British OR companies.

         Carsten Peterson is Lecturer in Theoretical Physics at Lund
         University.  He is co-inventor of the deterministic Boltzmann
         learning algorithm for symmetric recurrent networks and a
         leader in applications of neural networks to optimization
         problems.

         Marc Mezard is Lecturer in Physics at the Ecole Nomale Superieure,
         Paris.  Together with his colleagues there and their coworkers
         at the University of Rome, he pioneered the application of
         methods from the statistical mechanics of random systems to
         optimizaation problems.

         Contributed Papers.
         -------------------

              The second day of the conference will be devoted to
         selected half-hour contributed presentations.  An abstract
         of each paper submitted for presentation should be mailed
         or e-mailed to:

                     Prof. Jens Clausen
                     DIKU, Dept. of Computer Science
                     Universitetsparken 1,
                     DK-2100 Copenhagen OE
                     Denmark.

                     e-mail: clausen@diku.dk

         before January 1, 1991. Authors of accepted papers will be
         notified before January 15, 1991. (No proceedings will
         be published).

         Poster Sessions.
         ----------------

              On both seminar days there will be poster sessions. An
         abstract of the poster should be mailed or e-mailed to

                     Prof. Jens Clausen
                     DIKU, Dept. of Computer Science
                     Universitetsparken 1,
                     DK-2100 Copenhagen OE
                     Denmark.

                     e-mail: clausen@diku.dk

         before january 1, 1991. Authors of accepted posters will be
         notified before January 15, 1991.

         Registration.
         -------------

              The registration fee is 500 DKK (or equivalent in other
         convertible currency) and covers coffee/tea and lunch both days
         as well as an informal conference dinner on the evening of
         February 7.
              To register please fill in the form below and mail it
         together with the registrations fee to the address given on
         the form.
              No credit cards accepted. Cheques or Eurocheques should
         be payable to OPTIMIZATION CONFERENCE.
              The organizing commitee must receive your registration
         form January 15, 1991 the latest, and the final program will
         be mailed by January 22, 1991.

         Travel support for Nordic participants.
         ---------------------------------------

         A limited amount of money from NINC is reserved for paying the
         travel costs of participants from the Nordic countries,
         especially younger researchers.  If you would like to apply
         for this support, please indicate on the registration form.

         Accommodation.
         --------------

              The organizing commitee has reserved a certain number of
         hotel rooms.  Please indicate on the registration form if you
         would like the conference to book one for you.

                          INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
                                    ON
                       NOVEL METHODS IN OPTIMIZATION

                             February 7 - 8, 1991
                              REGISTRATION FORM

                  Name:_______________________________________________

           Affiliation:_______________________________________________

               Address:_______________________________________________

         Telephone no.:_______________________________________________

                e-mail:_______________________________________________

        If you want the conference to reserve you a hotel room, please
        indicate here for which nights:

        Nordic participants:  If you want to be considered for travel
        support, please indicate your needs here:

         Mail this registration form to:

                John Hertz
                NORDITA
                Blegdamsvej 17
                DK-2100 Copenhagen OE,
                Denmark

        For further information:

                e-mail: hertz@nordita.dk
                FAX: [+45] 31 38 91 57

End of Neuron Digest [Volume 6 Issue 68]