[net.micro] Bar code readers...

timborn@ihlpg.UUCP (Tim Born) (07/08/85)

I am looking for information about bar codes and bar code readers.
If you have knowledge in this area, I would like to contact you.
If you have pointers to books &/or articles &/or experts, please let me know.

The problem: connect a bar code reader to a micro computer. The term "micro
computer" is intentionally vague, as I have several in mind.  Assume each has
a TTL input port.

Related problems: where find a bar code wand?
		  how to build a bar code wand?
		  can an HP bar code wand be attached to any old micro?
		  where do you locate an HP wand (and specs)???

More Related problems: software!
	I've found articles in BYTE that describe algorithms for reading
bar codes.  They appear to be specific to the PaperBYTE (tm) system that
was used a few years back.  Does anyone still use this format?
What about the bar codes on packages (UPC), aren't they a different
format?  What is 5-of-9, and all they others?  Where can I find
definitions of all these formats, and *why are there so many*!?

tim ("I'm so confused!") born
...ihnp4!ihlpg!timborn

tj@utcs.UUCP (tj) (07/09/85)

try radio shack, I saw intheir fyler that they have a whole bunch of stuff
to attach to the model 100 portable slug that reads all sorts of barcodes
and also produces them on dot matrix printers.
t.jones

tbul@trsvax (07/11/85)

Why not go down to your local Radio Shack Computer Center and pick up
a Model 100?  It will read the bar code for you.  By now, the computer
is inexpensive ($399) and quite useful (built-in modem, auto_dialer,
5 management programs etc)

[It is a briefcase computer but the software and hardware will increase
the price.  This computer ignited the briefcase computer craze and is
the leading seller].

			tbul @ trsvax

kushnier@NADC.ARPA (07/11/85)

Tim
 The Radio Shack Model 100 computer has a Bar Code Reader as an accessary.
Their little instruction booklet gives a brief description of the major codes
used. The only code available for both text and numbers is the 3-9 code.

The Model 100 Magazine uses Bar Code to input programs.  This is really not
a very efficient way to do it however. Byte gave up on the idea years ago.

Hope that helped.

                                Ron Kushnier
                                kushnier@nadc.arpa

brian@sdcsvax.UUCP (Brian Kantor) (07/11/85)

In article <764@ihlpg.UUCP> timborn@ihlpg.UUCP (Tim Born) writes:
>I am looking for information about bar codes and bar code readers.
>If you have pointers to books &/or articles &/or experts, please let me know.
>Related problems: where find a bar code wand?
>		  how to build a bar code wand?
>		  can an HP bar code wand be attached to any old micro?
>		  where do you locate an HP wand (and specs)???

In the original Motorola M6800  (not 68K) applications manual there was
a complete construction plan and software, as well as a discussion of
principles of a wand-type bar code reader for reading UPC symbols and
other bar codes.

Unfortunately my only copy got left behind a few dozen jobs ago, so I
can't supply the details.  Maybe somebody who worked with 6800s might
have one.

	Brian Kantor	UC San Diego

	decvax\ 	brian@ucsd.arpa
	akgua  >---  sdcsvax  --- brian
	ucbvax/		Kantor@Nosc

foust@gumby.UUCP (07/15/85)

One good reason NOT to run down to your local Radio Shack and
buy the bar code reader is that it costs $99.95, and you only get
the bare minimum of software for the thing.  Packages to print
barcodes, and to read them in a more sophisticiated fashion,
cost extra.

What can be in the barcode reader wand itself beyond a phototransistor
and a little shaping circuitry?  For $99?

On CompuServe, people have posted their efforts at disassembling the
routines that come with the RS bar code reader.

Has anyone built their own for the Model 100?

--

John Foust
*** INSERT WITTY LINE HERE ***